• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Question about shutter.

I was shooting a scene in the dark with lights but couldn't get enough light for the scene. I decided to break a rule and raise the shutter up to the 30, when I was told not to go lower than 50. But the footage plays exactly the same motion wise, just lighter. So why is 30 bad then?

I shot a lot of night scenes at 30/. Not once did any film reviewer (or anyone else) mention choppy images. And I sent my film off to some tough reviewers who look for these things.

If your camera is on a tripod and there is very little motion, you may get away with 15, too. Handheld, 15 will likely not work.

Again, a good editor will be able to make your film look great. (Joe's Filters plug in helped too! :) )

Good luck!

Last edited:
30 fps get's choppy. What was the motion? A talking head might be ok, but walking or any other big action get's choppy fast. There's no way it looks the same.

He means shutter speed of 1/30 as opposed to 1/50, not fps.

I agree with Paul. If you shoot somebody moving around at speeds of any significance, there will be a difference between shutter speeds of 1/30 vs 1/60. If you don't see any difference, then use 1/30. Usually when you watch things in motion the differences are not always easily perceptible to every eye.

The motion blur given by your shutter speed being the double of your frame rate is what we're used to and prefer in 99% of the cases.

Lowering your shutter will make it softer and raising your shutter will make it crisper. A small change may not be noticeable but anything significant will be.

You can tell quite obviously in a lot of videos and films online where they are "cheating" by raising their shutter speed too much when they should be using ND filters.

I couldn't resist.... sorry..

this question would be easily avoided if you did 5 minute test footage at different frame speeds.

Taking all the fun out of filmmaking, and treating like you're playing a Minesweeper!

There are no rules. Shoot it at 6400 if you'd like, if your want to go for a choppy effect. Try things, experiment, make crap wrong to see if it work!

UUUUUGUGHGHHGHAHGSFJGNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:censored::censored::censored::censored:

I gotta breath.. where is my paperbag..

Last edited:

this question would be easily avoided if you did 5 minute test footage at different frame speeds.

Taking all the fun out of filmmaking, and treating like you're playing a Minesweeper!

There are no rules. Shoot it at 6400 if you'd like, if your want to go for a choppy effect. Try things, experiment, make crap wrong to see if it work!

hahah hahah

I did do test footage at different speeds. But since I saw no difference I thought I'd ask since I was probably missing something therefore.

Back