Question about shooting without permission.

When it comes to establishing shots of buildings, do I need permission from the building to shoot just the outside, as long as I get rid of the company logos, and names, in post?

FYI: In the U.S. ANYTHING viewable from public property is in the "public domain"...meaning that you can shoot it. However, in many other countries the OUTSIDE of the buildings is private, and subject to permission/fees to shoot them.

FYI: In the U.S. ANYTHING viewable from public property is in the "public domain"...meaning that you can shoot it. However, in many other countries the OUTSIDE of the buildings is private, and subject to permission/fees to shoot them.

Yes, but if you show their trademarked company logo on the building in more than just a very quick passing way (for example you imply part of the film takes place inside that building) they can slap a cease and desist on you. Remove any identifying marks and it will be fine.

Really? I think here government buildings aren't ok without permits? At least that's what I read in either the Dallas or Texas film commission. Can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure it said if you show a police station, courthouse etc it had to be permitted. Also, if you show an actual city police officer, firefighter, police car etc.

Maybe only if it says the city name? Remove it like you would a brand hmm?

Well I will be shooting a government building and where I live, all the acceptable looking government buildings are only a few blocks down for the police station. I will be shooting at night, so I will have to get enough light on it somehow. Plus I will want to use some sort of stabilization. I was told that it's okay to shoot if it's hand held, as a lot of people walk around with handheld cameras. But none of the rest of my short is hand held, so I don't want to break the style.

What about a steadicam? The law seems to say hand held is okay, but tripod is not, cause that means production. But they don't seem to have a say on steadicam, or lights. I can have the lights stick out of my car windows, instead of on the street, but not sure if that's a good idea.

See, I've heard the same thing about tripods. Like, the moment you set down a tripod, you've crossed the line and the police will clamp down on you. This always seemed a little silly to me, since tripods come in many sizes and shapes, and a lone photographer with a DSLR and a tripod will never, ever be harassed.

It seems to me what really gets attention is lights, slates, boom poles, and crew members. And a steadicam? That would be even worse!

With a crew of 2 or so, lavalier mics, and a glidecam (not a steadicam), you might be able to get away with it. The idea is to be invisible, not to keep a tripod off the ground.

And one last thing: getting caught by the police really, really sucks. It's happened to me. That day, I swore that I would have my permits every single time. It's one of those big lessons, you know? Just get the permits, man.

Well I don't think I can get the permits at least not in time. Plus I had tried getting permits for places before. One asked for 200 grand, the other 2 million! I think they just want to see how much money they could get. I will see about doing this shot later if possible but winter is rolling in and want to get it done in similar weather conditions to match the previous. I won't need a whole crew, I can do this non-dialogue scene myself. I just need a couple of bright lights, and a steadicam. Most people don't even know what a steadicam is when I show it to them though, so perhaps the police will not see it the same alarming way as a tripod?

Last edited:
Those larger numbers were probably for insurance, not a permit fee. Last time I had quoted here was $600 for $1,000,000 insurance in the city's name for the first day, and then $50 a day after that.

Are there street lamps? Use your fastest lens on a monopod under a street lamp, you should be fine.

You will find that shooting permits in most cities are absolutely free. HOWEVER, you can't get the permit unless you have liability insurance....some cities require a million-dollars coverage, and many cities (like Los Angeles for example), now want a $2-million policy. Each city offers certain freebies with their permit, others nickel and dime you for parking fees, having a police officer on the set, fire department cable inspection, etc.

The cost of liability insurance runs about $600-$800 for a weekend. (Shop around).

Yeah it was for deposit, but I still didn't have 2 million for that. I shot it last night and here's what happened. A friend gave me her place across the street, to set up lights. We pointed the lights across the street at the building we wanted to shoot at. I then got in a car, across the street, and shot with a tripod, from inside the car. A cop came by and asked my friend, what's with all the lights, and she said she gave us permission to shoot on her property. The cop then said okay, and drove on. So I guess verbal permission is okay, if it's on the persons land. The cop didn't know we were filming another place across the street. But there wasn't enough light for it to work anyway, from that distance, so I'll reshoot in daytime, and fake it for night.

Last edited:
Back