• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

question about hd in fcp

so i filmed a music video with the 5d and shot in hd
i edited it in fcp (i know when you edit it you dont see it in hd) but when i exported it it was 720 x 480
how do i get it to export hd
what did i do wrong?

i def know i shot in hd because i looked at the files in my external drive and the said 1820 x 1080

ok so i did what the video told me and it didnt do anything

so i figured out how to make the video hd again
and everytime i do it the image gets stretched horizontally alot. why is this?

when i first exported and selected "current settings" the aspect ratio was fine but the resolution lowered. heres a screen shot.

http://img857.imageshack.us/i/regaspectratio.png/

then i tried again and selected apple prores 422 (hq) 1920 x1080 24p 48 khz and this is what happened. the resolution went back to normal but the aspect ratio changed

http://img710.imageshack.us/i/18265232.png/

Your sequence settings are set to 720x480, and thus that is what you are getting when you render it. The video above leaves out an important step that you do BEFORE you start your edit: make sure your sequence settings are correct.

The sequence settings should match the resolution of your imported footage, assuming you want to render out a final version at the same resolution. So, if you are importing 1920x1080 video, that's what your sequence should be set at if you want it to export full HD (you can always make a lower-resolution version if desired using the steps in the video). Depending on the version of FC you have, it should prompt you to automatically change the sequence settings to match your clips settings when you drag the first clip onto the timeline.

Using Apple Intermediate Codec or ProRes for your clips should keep the native resolution and pixel aspect ratio of your imported footage. Use the same settings for your sequence and it should work perfectly.

eh, i use premiere, not fcp and ive never exported from fcp to quicktime, so perhaps someone else knows what going on here better than i do.

but just incase, have you made sure that your pixel aspect ratio is set to square pixels?

ughhh im so lost. so do i have to re edit!? i didnt compress the clips before editing becuase i'm new to this stuff and didnt think i had to nor do i know how to.

Part 1
When you say "compress" do you mean transcode? As in convert the clips that came out of your 5D (h.264) to ProRes 422?

You can theoretically drop h.264 clips into final cut but its a nightmare to edit. Definitely transcode to ProRes using Compressor first before you import your clips.

Part 2
Also, when you dragged your first clip into the time line, didnt it ask you if you wanted to match the sequence settings to your clip? Even if it was set wrong, it should of just changed the sequence settings to whatever kind of clip you initially drop in...so you may have told it to keep the same (wrong) sequence settings...

Basically, i dono if you can fix it without reediting, but i would try just changing the resolution on the sequence settings and exporting again maybe? See if it works out...

Also, when you export, are you selecting a export setting that is full HD resolution?

Back