Question about footage.

I've shot a scene for a short film I'm making and have a question. I could not tell this on the camera at the time, but there are a lot of red dots on the screen. Perhaps cause of the lighting or something. I tried to keep the ISO, shutter, and aperture at the settings often advised on here so not sure if that was the problem. I will upload some footage to show as soon as I can, there has been some problems uploading to youtube I need to figure out. Is it fixable in post, cause I am shooting my next scene in a few days and want to know what I'm up against.

Last edited:
I have an 18-55 lens, is that worse than a 50mm? We're talking about lenses right? I am doing the most I can with the cam, and hope to have it figured out in my free time before the night shooting date.

The 50mm is a prime lens that lets more light get to the sensor because it stops down to f1.8 as opposed to your other lens. If you have the 50mm, try that for night shooting and see what the difference is.

You don't have to buy THAT lens, just a lens with a faster aperture. F/1.4 is even better.

Rokinon has some awesome primes. An 85mm 1.4 for $280 and a 35mm 1.4 for $450.

Or rent. You just need it for a day. You ghouls be able to get a Canon 50 1.4 or 28 1.8 for $20 a day.

Well I don't know if I can order them in time for the night shooting scene date. But I will check out the camera stores. I will check out the store that orders them, but they are usually booked, and have to order months in advance. I'll go to the camera store tomorrow and see if I can try both the 35mm and 85, and see which one is better for me.

Last edited:
Well I don't know if I can order them in time for the night shooting scene date. But I will check out the camera stores. I will check out the store that orders them, but they are usually booked, and have to order months in advance.

When is your shoot? I can mail you a Canon F1.8 50mm and return it when you're done.

Oh thanks. The shoot was suppose to be in a week, but one of the actors might not be able to make it, but probably two weeks now. That's very nice of you, and I might take you up on that, thanks. Since I was going to get a better lens for myself anyway, I will go to the store tomorrow and see. If they don't have it, or if the rental store cannot give me one I'll definitely take you up on it. It's just I live in Canada, and if you live in the U.S., those border charges can be a lot too. Of course I'll pay lol. I don't know I just feel like I can accept the generous offer for some reason.

Last edited:
Oh thanks. The shoot was suppose to be in a week, but one of the actors might not be able to make it, but probably two weeks now. That's very nice of you, and I might take you up on that, thanks. Since I was going to get a better lens for myself anyway, I will go to the store tomorrow and see. If they don't have it, or if the rental store cannot give me one I'll definitely take you up on it. It's just I live in Canada, and if you live in the U.S., those border charges can be a lot too. Of course I'll pay lol. I don't know I just feel like I can accept the generous offer for some reason.

Just PM me with your email address and we'll work it out if need be. People have done me favors, so don't worry about it. This isn't a transaction of business, so it shouldn't cost that much I'm guessing.

Okay thanks a lot. I might just take you up on that, but I did buy a lens at the store today. A 1.4 35mm. I bought it over the 50. I hope it was the right choice, it's just that I'll be shooting in some somewhat tight quarters and I thought 35 would be best for being further away in view. However I will need some close up shots, but I guess I could just get the camera in as close as I can.

There is a shot I want of men running along the sidewalk. My plan was to shoot from across the street, but since the lens doesn't zoom or have a closer view, I might have to actually get on the road when no cars are coming or something. I will see what I can do for practice when I get to the location. Too bad there are no 1.4. zoom lenses, and you have to pick and choose.

Okay thanks a lot. I might just take you up on that, but I did buy a lens at the store today. A 1.4 35mm. I bought it over the 50. I hope it was the right choice, it's just that I'll be shooting in some somewhat tight quarters and I thought 35 would be best for being further away in view. However I will need some close up shots, but I guess I could just get the camera in as close as I can.

There is a shot I want of men running along the sidewalk. My plan was to shoot from across the street, but since the lens doesn't zoom or have a closer view, I might have to actually get on the road when no cars are coming or something. I will see what I can do for practice when I get to the location. Too bad there are no 1.4. zoom lenses, and you have to pick and choose.

With prime lenses you are the zoom. A 35mm for your crop factor is actually 56mm, which is a great all around lens to have and use.

Cool I hope it won't fail me and bed too far away then. I tested it out at the store but it was hard to judge compared to a more testable location. But I got a deal for it though, and they said I could return it if it's not what I wanted, and in good condition of course. It's a sigma lens, so I hope that's a good quality one.

So I have a question about shooting under fluorescent. The T2i has the option of 'fluorescent', on it. Shoot I shoot under that mode, or should I just shoot under 'auto'. There are different light modes as well. Does it matter so long as the shutter, ISO, and aperture are all good?

I also realized that the new 35mm I bought has no image stabalizer. Is this a must need?

Last edited:
Back