QUESTION ABOUT FILM OWNERSHIP

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to help my little brother out by getting him as much info as possible. As with screenplays, is it necessary to get each and every short that you create copyrighted or how does that work? Would greatly appreciate the info, thanks.

If you make kit, you own the copyright already. What the copyright office does is register that copyright. There's also the WGA for screenplays.

Does that also apply for short films? Because he has shot several short films and he's anxious to submit them in festivals, but I told him he needed to research the copyright laws, licenses, etc. Thanks!

I never give legal advice, but once the film is released to the public it marks a date of creation much like a proof of copyright. You would worry more about screenplays because they are not released as works yet.

Just to throw in my two cents, from all I've read and heard various places over the past few years, WGA registration really doesn't afford you anything at all. To really have a legal leg to stand on if you have to go to court, you have to register with the US Copyright Office.

Back