Question about exposure lock on the Canon 5d Mark ii

When shooting video, pressing the * button (in the top right corner) locks the exposure. Pressing it again re-locks the exposure (to whatever the camera is pointed at).

My question is, is there a way to simply un-lock the exposure? On my old Nikon D90, pressing the exposure lock button a second time unlocks the exposure lock. On the Canon 5d mark ii, it simply re-adjusts the exposure and locks it again.

Turning off Live View and turning it back on turns off the exposure lock, but that's really annoying to have to keep doing that. There has to be a simpler way.

Yeah, manual is your friend. With just a tiny amount of study and effort to learn how to adjust settings and what they should be you'll end up with a waaaay better image than auto.

I've become accustomed to shooting in AV mode, but I probably should just make the jump to full manual.

Question, when shooting at 1080p 24fps, what should I set the shutter speed to? How does it affect video if at all?

I've become accustomed to shooting in AV mode, but I probably should just make the jump to full manual.

Question, when shooting at 1080p 24fps, what should I set the shutter speed to? How does it affect video if at all?

1/50. The 180 degree shutter rule says 1/48, but there is no 1/48, so you use 1/50. There can be reasons to alter this for very specific situation, but 99.99999% of the time you want the shutter to be 1/ 2 X Frame Rate. So if you were shooting a TV commercial in 30 FPS you'd use 1/60 (1/ 2 X Frame rate).

Faster (say 1/250) will look strobie and weird (See Saving Private Ryan). Slower (say 1/30) will look smearie and also weird.

Back