Question about exporting from Preimiere Pro.

A lot of times when I try to export a movie, the sound cuts in and out in the final product constantly. I export on stereo or mono, on 48khz, at 320 kbps. Am I doing something wrong, or is it just something that is likely to happen when exporting?

Yep it is an operator error. I am doing something wrong, and trying to figure out what settings I to use, but I thought 48 khz, 320 kbps, stereo, etc, was good, and not sure where the error is lying.

I export on stereo or mono, on 48khz, at 320 kbps. Am I doing something wrong, or is it just something that is likely to happen when exporting?

Did you actually read what I wrote in the last thread you started about creating OMFs in Premiere? Did you study the tutorial I linked to about creating OMFs in Premiere? Here it is again. Read the bloody thing!

What format of audio are you trying to export at 320 kbps? It sure is not wav or aif, which is what you've been told to use!

G

I suspect he's trying to export video with imbedded audio. Either there's some really weird "feature" (bug) or he's randomly set some setting that just won't work or attempting to use some wacky codec or he's somehow reconfigured his computer and software to h44 mode.

I suspect he's trying to export video with imbedded audio.

That's certainly a possibility but my guess is he's trying to export all the audio as MP3 format files, as 320kbps is one of the standard lossy compression rates for MP3 stereo audio files. The data rate for a single mono wav file at 48kHz/24bit is 1,125kbps (2,250kbps for a stereo wav) but there's never an option to set the data rate in a wav because it's fixed (raw, uncompressed).

G

Yeah, yours also makes sense. I do remember that I don't have the same version of h44. My PP doesn't give the option to export as mp3. Different codecs may open up that option though. I think he's just using a version of PP that bugs out due to some bizarre combination that he probably once heard on set from the extras.

Who knows, he may be trying to create a DCP.

I think he's just using a version of PP that bugs out due to some bizarre combination that he probably once heard on set from the extras.

Although I'm not going to make a habit of it until he actually makes something, but H44 does have a partial defence. PPro has always been quite finicky with creating OMFs/AAFs and not just PPro, FCP7 had it's quirks as well, FCPX didn't do OMF or AAF at all for a long while, one of the reasons why the pros' slammed it so much, versions of Vegas had all kinds of problems or just didn't make OMFs or AAFs, etc. The most reliable system on the market by far for OMF/AAF creation was and always has been AVID, not really surprising as they invented OMF and were one of the principle players in the creation of the AAF container.

Not only the creation of OMFs/AAFs but also the reading of them by audio software can be problematic. Logic Audio has always had very poor support of OMFs/AAFs, some versions of Nuendo and Cubase handled them quite well, while others had all kinds of problems. ProTools is certainly the most reliable (not surprising as again, it's part of the AVID corporation) but is not without it's quirks sometimes.

It is possible to get usable OMFs/AAFs out of most of the NLEs but you really need to know the quirks which affect each NLE and create your sequences with these quirks in mind when you start editing. For example, it's quite widely known that using nested audio clips in PPro will end up with an unreadable OMF file but there are other quirks too. Experienced pro editors have been through all this and learnt the hard way or been taught how to create a readable OMF when they were an apprentice/assistant. H44 just needs to keep trying, problem solving and researching online what he's doing which is making his OMFs unreadable. It's a bit of a chore but once you know how to do it and what you need to avoid, creating OMFs/AAFs in the future should be a piece of cake.

The reason I'm being harsh with H44 is not because he's having problems creating an OMF but because he hasn't read or listened to the advice he's already been given, over a period of more than a year! Maybe that advice will solve his problem or maybe there are other factors in addition to the advice which will need to be addressed but just starting endless threads on here without trying the advice already given is just going round in circles and wasting everyone's time.

G

Okay thanks. I am not trying to export an OMF or AAF container though. I am trying to export the video with the audio as a 'media' export. This is a whole new problem. Before I could export audio with video media just fine, but now the sound is cutting in and out, which just started last week.

They have had some reverb added to them. Basically an audio engineer took my audio files, did some clean up and sound effects on them, then mixed it all together in a stereo mix, in pro tools. Then he gave the mix back to me, as a wav file. I imported it in to put with the video, but everytime I try to export both the video and audio as a media file, the sound cuts in and out a lot.

Sorry. I don't know which version of Pro Tools he has but I have Premiere Pro CS5.5. When I play it in the timeline I can hear everything and it's all fine. Just after exporting it gets screwed up.

Back