• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Question about color grading in Premiere Pro.

When I use 'color balance', or 'RGB curves', it gives the option of red, green, and blue. In my footage, I sometimes feel that the camera tends to give too much of a reddish image. So in order to grade it to look better, I pull down the reds in Premiere. It looks better, but there is still a bit of yellow, especially under halogen and tungsten lit shots. So in order to fix that I can add blue. Even though the blue gets rid of the yellow, the faces become slightly magenta, but just slightly.

Now it seems to me instead of pulling the reds way down, and then adding blue, in order to get rid of red and yellow, you should just be able to take out yellow. But RGB curves and color balance, only allow you to deal with red, green and blue. In Photostop, when you play with color balance, they allow you the options of dealing with cyan, magenta, and yellow. But they don't have those colors in Premiere, so if an image has too much yellow in for your taste, you cannot remove it. You have to add another color, blue, in order to get rid of it, but then you got a little magenta.

Is this how it goes with color grading in Premiere Pro, or with video in general, or is their a reason why they only offer three colors to play with, as oppose to Photoshop?

You say that blue in the blacks, is a rare look. Do you mean rare good, or rare bad?

How many times do you want your black to be a color other than black?

Blue is rarely used. In fact, I cannot think of a time where it should be used, but I'm sure someone will come up with an example that makes sense. Greens sometimes, mainly to signify discomfort. There is a somewhat commonly used look that takes advantage of adding green into the blacks seen in some horror flicks though occasionally I see it for effect in night vision shots, reds a little less commonly, from memory, used in emergency lighting scenes, though I rarely think it's intentional.

Good or bad depends on the mood you're trying to create and whether that color is used to create that mood. Blue often signifies cold, though, to signify a temperature, a dark blue would be a poor choice as people relate to lighter blues to be cold. Blue these days is often used for color contrast. Not really related to blacks being blue discussion, but still something to think about.

So what are you trying to achieve? That'll depend on whether it's bad or not. It's a lot like a jump cut. It is what it is. There's a huge difference between using a jump cut to disorientate the audience as opposed to using a jump cut due to incompetence.

We're now talking about why to push a look rather than how to do it.

When the woman walks out of the room and camera pulls back, the contrast has to stay the same in the shot, or you will see the adjustment being made, is what I meant.

This lunacy makes about as much sense as the fact that the world is flat and the universe rotates around the Earth. Why on Earth does the contrast have to stay the same? We've gone over this before. Lighting changes, the picture will change (adjust) in some way. This is going to end up being another one of your "I want the contrast to be the same in both the scenes." "You do realize one is day time and one is night time." "Do it or I'll start another hair-brained thread on a forum so people can call me an idiot!"

As for you saying the audience will see the adjustment being made. That's true if you do it wrong. Not so true is you know what you're doing and do it well. If you need to make the adjustment, you make the adjustment. If you cannot get it perfect, get it as good as you can get it. It's really that simple. Don't make up some bullsh*t excuse to make you feel better due to your lack of understanding of the craft.

Are you trying to make up some dim-witted excuse why you must fail.

Stop saying stupid sh*t and I'll stop insulting you.

What else can I do to improve the look, compared to what I have done so far?

Pick 1:
A). FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS THAT YOU'VE BEEN SUPPLIED.
or
B) Take your computer to the shop you bought it from. Tell them you're returning it. Tell them that I said "You're too dumb to use one."

At this point I'd say give it to a professional to grade, but I know you're too stubborn and stupid to do that without screwing it up.

I%27m%2BNot%2Ban%2BAsshole.jpg

You are referring to CMYK color in Photoshop in the original post. This is a subtractive color space with a reduced gamut for printing. RGB space is what you are looking for in the video world, with additive color for screens. You are actually achieving CMY via RGB - Cyan sans Red, Magenta sans Green, and Yellow sans Blue. Curves are theoretically capable of any RGB/Luma combination (leaving saturation and matting to other tools). Multiple passes and other tools can also be helpful in tapping into the RGB/Luma palate finesse one is going for, that would be more difficult to achieve with a single curves implementation.

Btw, I like your spunk; your resolve to continue working at this

I meant the contrast slider is at 2. That's what I added. So mostly a shadow adjustment there. I didn't adjust the contrast highlights, or mids, cause I was already satisfied with them.

I think you actually aren't satisfied with your lift/gamma/gain, primarily because YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE. If you'd get the arrogant head out of your ass for two minutes maybe you'd learn something. You have more than enough information to fix your problem.

Your problem is that you barely skim the responses you receive on here, then respond with "BUT DA CONTRAST ISENT GUD ENUF". I often feel like you're a really, really stupid chatbot (remember smarterchild from the AIM days?) put here simply to test our patience and imposter detection skills.

Last edited:
Okay thanks. I was going for a gritty thriller effect which is why I added the blue. But I did not intend for the blue to end up in the blacks, at least not in a bad way.

I don't mean to come off as ignorant, I want to learn as much as I can. I find some of the information given to me, can create more problems or dead ends in the grading which is why it's been hard, but I honestly do not mean to come off as ignorant.

I was told on here before that since directing is my filmmaking passion, I should stick to that, since it would take too much time to learn every aspect of filmmaking. I agree. I want to stick to directing and concentrate on learning that. However, I am trying to build a team of actors and crew, to want to work with me again.

If I can show them a finished product for once, the chances of them wanting to work with me again are greater of course. However, if I am stick to directing only, since it's the field I want to get into the most, it does not give me a lot of time to learn editing, audio engineering, color grading, etc. I would like to stick to directing, but how can I get the actors and crew to work me with on future projects, without being able to do any of the post production on my own footage?

As far as hiring a colorist goes, I did try that last year, but since I don't know anything about grading, I failed to communicate what I wanted, since I did not understand how any of it works. I don't have any money now to hire anyone else, so either I wear all the post production hats myself from now on, or I just stick to directing projects only, without being able to finish them since the other fields do take a lot of time to learn.

I want to learn grading for sure. I will keep trying at it.

In the three color wheels, one is for shadows, one for midtones, and one for highlights, right? What if I just push the blue ones for highlights and midtones, and leave the shadows black? Would that look better?

I am going everything told to me right now, and will try to come up with the best grade I can. I do not mean to come off as ignorant, I just find some of the advice, leads to more questions, or some it can be contradictory sometimes, I find. But I appreciate it all and do not mean to come off as not. I also played around with the gain, and gamma, but not lift I don't think. I am satisfied with it. I will play around with it some more, perhaps there are advantages I missed. Also when I say the contrast slider, what I mean is, there is a slider, than you can go up and down on that is called "contrast". It's in the 'brightness and contrast' plug in. I thought that that's what is meant by contrast, but gamma I found out is part of contrast to, unless I am wrong.

Last edited:
Here's something that may help your understanding. In the three way color corrector, there are the three wheels, like you said, shadows, midtones, and highlights. push these off to each a distinct bright color. let's say shadows bright blue, midtones green, and highlights yellow. Now obviously, this isn't anything that'll help the end result but rather an understanding activity. so now you can see how your entire image is made up of these three. Take note of what areas are each. Now take note of the area beneath the wheels. There's the tonal range definition area. The white area indicates what is regarded as highlight areas, the black indicates shadow, and the space in between is midtones. by sliding the squares, you can tell the program what to classify as what. the triangles allow for falloff. fool around with this to understand how the three ranges make up an image.
three-way-colorcorrector-cs6.png

Okay thank you. I have gotten better at grading and would like to apply another look. However, is their a feature in Premiere Pro, for removing attributes from multiple clips. You can paste an attribute, such as three way color wheel settings over multiple clips, but is there any way to remove the wheel settings from multiple clips. I researched a few sites, but they only talk about removing effects from one clip only. Is it possible to remove an effect from multiple clips, in this case the wheel settings?

to my knowege, you'll have to remove it manually. i'd suggest applying the grade to an adjustment layer on a video track above your footage. Also, fool around with davinci resolve and watch some tutorials on that.

Yep thanks. I will go through all the shots and delete them one by one then. Here's a still with the shadow wheel removed. So no more blue in the shadow. I added more midtone blue, to compensate. However, there are blue spots on the skin. If you want a blue tone to the skin, there end up being spots, but anything less, and the tone isn't there much. Can you see the spots, more so on the forehead.? Looks kind of like blue noise or something. Did I push the midtone too much or can I go further?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-Xsh5O2ZFssM2h5c3Byb0NFME0/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
I was going for a gritty thriller effect which is why I added the blue. But I did not intend for the blue to end up in the blacks, at least not in a bad way.

You wanted the blues to be in the blacks in a good way? Well that's different then. /shrug

I don't mean to come off as ignorant

No need to try son, you're a natural!

I want to learn as much as I can.

BULLSHIT%2BButton.jpg

BS! Those who want to learn, just learn. Those who want to stay ignorant, stay ignorant.

I find some of the information given to me, can create more problems or dead ends in the grading which is why it's been hard

Step 1: You've been told to use Resolve or another grading program to learn to grade in. Have you done that yet? If the answer is no, then you have no excuse. None at all. You're wondering why you're stuck in a rut with grading? The decisions you make are your problem. You don't understand the simple concept of using the right tools for the task, is there really any hope for you? Do you use your camera to record audio? It's almost the same thing. It can do it, though the result you'll get won't get you the best result.

I want to stick to directing and concentrate on learning that. However, I am trying to build a team of actors and crew, to want to work with me again.

Then close this thread, remove your head from your ass and return to the task you need to be doing.

if I am stick to directing only, since it's the field I want to get into the most, it does not give me a lot of time to learn editing, audio engineering, color grading, etc.

Get good at what you need to do. Learn the art of telling people what you want. One of the most important lessons you'll learn for directing is to A). Hire the right people. B) Tell them what you want. C) NEVER EVER tell them how you want them to do it.

For you, point C is the most important part of those. You're so full of misinformation that you're never ever going to be at a point where you can tell other departments how to do it and come away with a good result.

Focus on your job, and let everyone else focus on their job. It's the way it works. Answer all their questions.

how can I get the actors and crew to work me with on future projects, without being able to do any of the post production on my own footage?

There are plenty of directors out there who are useless when it comes to post production. They seem to manage just fine. Yes there are a lot of directors who are accomplished editors (and experts in other fields too). That's not you. You are not a technical director. The longer you focus on your shortcomings, the longer it'll take you to become the filmmaker you want to be.

As far as hiring a colorist goes, I did try that last year, but since I don't know anything about grading, I failed to communicate what I wanted, since I did not understand how any of it works.

Remember A, B, C? I assume you remember that you failed in part C. It cost you. It hurt you. I hope it hurt you enough that you learn from the experience. It sucks, but I think we've figured out how you learn. Your hip pocket is your only way.

I don't have any money now to hire anyone else, so either I wear all the post production hats myself from now on, or I just stick to directing projects only, without being able to finish them since the other fields do take a lot of time to learn.

I've gone down the path of trying to learn all the hats. Well not all hats, but a lot of them. I know the areas where I can get people easily enough. Those other areas, I'm in the process of learning. Color grading is one of those areas. It takes a lot of time to learn everything. It really does. You also get the opportunity to learn what areas you simply suck at. (For me, grip work is where I'm weakest. Clumsy SOBs should never grip). If you have the time to spend and have the resources to learn it all (forums are one of the worst ways to learn) you'll become stronger in other areas. For instance, your directing will be stronger if you know how to edit and color grade well. If you understand sound and the limitations, you'll know how to block a scene better so you ensure you capture good, clean dialogue. If you know post sound, you'll know what's important to capture on set and what should be left to post. If you're running out of time on set, your editing experience will help you know what shots you should drop first. There are way more examples than this, but you get the point.

I want to learn grading for sure. I will keep trying at it.

Install Davinci Resolve. Go to mixinglight.com. Spend $25us for the first month and learn like your life depends on it. You can download all their tutorials if you find you won't get there in time and then cancel the subscription. Go learn everything there. Within a few months, you'll be the one correcting my answers. The curve is steep. They have heaps of examples of dealing with different situations. You'll learn over time how to apply the tools to specific situations. They even have an area to teach you grading in PP, though I'm going to suggest that you avoid it and learn in a real grading program. Listen to their podcasts. It'll teach you a lot of how directors interact with graders and so on.

You've been given the fastest method to learn grading. If you take it up, you'll be able to grade. If you ignore it, then I'm back to calling you idiot.

In the three color wheels, one is for shadows, one for midtones, and one for highlights, right?

That's the theory on how it works. In practice it's not quite as black and white. Each program has its own implementation and it's best to read the documentation as to how they work. But as I said, yes, that's the basic theory.

What if I just push the blue ones for highlights and midtones, and leave the shadows black? Would that look better?

It's not quite how it's done, but it'll do in a pinch. Again, it depends on the tools you're using. With some tools you use within certain programs, you can alter the mids and highlights and adjustments still happen in the shadows. You have to pay attention to the scopes to what the changes are doing until you're experienced enough to be able to trust your eye.

As for look better, it depends on the look need for the scene. You're looking for a gritty thriller effect, then you'll probably miss the mark going with your version of the Hollywood blockbuster style.

I just find some of the advice, leads to more questions, or some it can be contradictory sometimes

It is. Color grading is an art, not a science. There is a lot of science involved, but it's still an art. Different people have different views. Even if two graders come to the same look in the end, the way they get there may vary. There are many, many ways to skin a cat. Doubly so in color grading.

I don't think.

While there's no point to quoting this, I do like to look for the positives in conversations. Finally something I can agree with ;)

I will play around with it some more, perhaps there are advantages I missed. Also when I say the contrast slider, what I mean is, there is a slider, than you can go up and down on that is called "contrast". It's in the 'brightness and contrast' plug in. I thought that that's what is meant by contrast, but gamma I found out is part of contrast to, unless I am wrong.

The tool you're using, while an important tool, the way you're using it, you'd better off not touching it until you understand it more. You'll do more damage than good. You're like a builder whos only tool is a sledge hammer. While sledges are very good for the task of smashing things, the result on the majority of jobs, for example brick laying or painting, is going to be less than stellar.

Your original graded image:
h44%2Bafter%2B3.jpg

Here's a still with the shadow wheel removed. So no more blue in the shadow.

When you look at the scopes, are your eyes open? You complete idiot, there *IS* blue in the shadows!

I added more midtone blue, to compensate. However, there are blue spots on the skin. If you want a blue tone to the skin, there end up being spots, but anything less, and the tone isn't there much. Can you see the spots, more so on the forehead.? Looks kind of like blue noise or something. Did I push the midtone too much or can I go further?

You're running into banding. It's why you need to learn what tools to use in what situation. There are multiple ways to skin a cat, remember?

Yes, you can push further... Way further if you play around with another method. Push the blue well beyond what you'd want (just to show how far you can push, and you can even go further if you want) and then balance the blacks. Looksie here:

h44%2Bafter%2B3%2BMore%2BBlue%2BPush_1.18.1.jpg

Though I don't like this look, so we lower the offset and crush the blacks to get a more dramatic picture:

h44%2Bafter%2B3%2BMore%2BBlue%2BPush%2BDarker%2BOffset_1.18.2.jpg

Ironically, this is what I wish I could do to you most of the time I read your posts.

Pushing the blue so far makes the skin tones so far wrong that it only works in very specific situations, so you really need to bring those skin tones back to some sort of reality, at the same time, pushing a more appealing color contrast at the same time, drawing the focus on to the face. I would also have liked to bring down the highlights a little, but I'm getting what I presume are banding artifacts, so had to remove that adjustment:

h44%2Bafter%2B3%2BMore%2BBlue%2BPush%2BDarker%2BOffset%2BRemove%2BBlue%2BCast%2BFrom%2BFace_1.18.3.jpg

There's probably a little too much saturation in his face, but that's a matter of taste depending on the feedback from the director. If you like that 90's look, then good for you.

So you see why I call bullshit on you so many times. What you say is often bullshit. I'm sorry you think you couldn't push blue any further. It's quite simple to do, the problem was, you just don't know the basics and how to apply them. If you did even the most basic tutorials, you'd find most of this quite rudimentary.

Okay thanks, I will. I will get Da Vinci resolve. I am on deadline for this one, so I am not sure if I have time to get use to a new program. But I am definitely going to use it for the next one. I will cocentrate on using it as well as directing. In the meantime is their any approach I should be taking to getting actors and crew to want to work with me, even though I currently suck at post production picture and sound?

How can I make a good impression on them, if possible, without needing everything to be perfect?

Thanks for the still examples. Can you tell me how you were able to push the blue further without banding? How exactly did you get that 90s look? That's kind of what I want but without as much saturation or crushed blacks. What do you think of this one, good or too overdone?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-Xsh5O2ZFssbEN5R004dzFha00/view?usp=sharing

As far as crushing the blacks goes, it looks good in that shot, but there are other shots that follows where it does not look so good, so I have decide on how much to crush them. Is this too much?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-Xsh5O2ZFssS1NhODZta0d6ZUk/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
I am on deadline for this one

A lack of planning (and ability in this case) on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part. Drink a cup of concrete and harden up kiddo. No one cares about your woes. People have their own problems and you acting stupid or missing your deadline isn't one of them.

I am not sure if I have time to get use to a new program.

Well damn son, if you think it's a great idea to continue to use that Sledgehammer, you go boy. As I said, you're only hurting yourself making excuses. Why do you think we care?

If you had spent the last 2 months learning Resolve when I told you to learn it instead of trying to get PP to do the same job, you'd be well on the way to being a half competent grader. You've wasted the time and now it sucks to be you. The filmmaker you become are the sum of the decisions you make. You make poor decisions all the time... What kind of filmmaker are you?

I currently suck at post production picture and sound?

Don't tell anyone, but there's a secret that Hollywood doesn't want you to know. I'll tell you if you can keep a secret. You don't have to be able to do every job yourself. You just have to get the job done. Management 101.

is their any approach

The grammar nazi in me wants to nerd rage right about now!

Cat%2BAss%2BTrophy.jpg

No wonder people have a problem with your communication. I'm really the last person who should do this, but f me.

is their any approach I should be taking to getting actors and crew to want to work with me

Stop your constant whining, stop being an idiot, stop making excuses that would embarrass a 3 year old are all great steps towards becoming a decent member of society.

How can I make a good impression on them, if possible, without needing everything to be perfect?

Perfection? What are we? Borg? My first 3 films are far from perfect. Hell, I'd hazard to say they're not even that good but they're complete, the actors got their material for their showreel and I came away with experience I can put towards my next projects. Unless you're promising perfection, why are you aiming for it? Aim for the final output to be as good as you can do and improve with each production you do. Just be aware, there is a penalty is you release a video that is worse than a typical selfie.

Can you tell me how you were able to push the blue further without banding?

Yep, and I already did. Without you volunteering to come here allowing me to bash your head into a high contrast brick wall with a blue tint in the blacks, I fail to see any incentive to repeat myself. C'mon, deal? I rekon that's a crowdfunding campaign IT could get behind.

What do you think of this one

Without taking a look, not looking at your errors with scopes and without context, I'm sure it's fine. You'll have problems in the matching. I don't even have to look to know this.

Have you installed Resolve yet? If not, what's your excuse?

If you had spent the last 2 months learning Resolve when I told you to learn it instead of trying to get PP to do the same job, you'd be well on the way to being a half competent grader........

Over 2 years ago I suggested to get the book "Color Correction for Video" to learn to understand the process. (It would have helped you understand the tools you have now.)

@H44
I don't remember when, but me and a lot of other also said to NOT USE the Brightness/contrast effect, because it's barely useable.

Sweetie told you what contrast is.
And I tell you now that you can adjust contrast with: levels, curves, 3-way CC, even with color balanse and many more.
Because an effect is called 'contrast' it doesn't mean it is the one you need to adjust contrast.

And yes, advise can seem contradictionary.
But if you read those posts it says often: you CAN do this, IF you want OR...
In other words: in the advise there is often a chain of decisions you need to make.
OR if that is not the case you need to follow ALL steps of the given advise and NOT just a LITTLE step.

Back