Question about cameras.

I bought the T2i camera for shooting my first short film with. I am a little behind on all this new digital camera technology. If I record on 1920 x 1080, it takes up almost the same size on screen as 35mm film, but it's smaller. Their are thin black bars on the right and left side. I played back the footage on a widescreen TV. Usually with 35mm film the black bars are just on the top and bottom though. How do I make the image bigger on screen so it will look more like the size of 2.35 ratio, or the ratio of 35mm film? The instruction book does not speak of this, nor do the people at the camera store know anything about it. Thanks.

I bought the T2i camera for shooting my first short film with. I am a little behind on all this new digital camera technology. If I record on 1920 x 1080, it takes up almost the same size on screen as 35mm film, but it's smaller. Their are thin black bars on the right and left side. I played back the footage on a widescreen TV. Usually with 35mm film the black bars are just on the top and bottom though. How do I make the image bigger on screen so it will look more like the size of 2.35 ratio, or the ratio of 35mm film? The instruction book does not speak of this, nor do the people at the camera store know anything about it. Thanks.

You are a lot behind. If you won't do any research on your own, I suggest you stop wasting everybody's time and post elsewhere. Google is your friend.

Good luck and God bless.

The ratio you probably want is 16:9 (1.78) or 2.39.

I think the t2i has black bars in video mode so you can frame for 16:9.

If you want 2.39, then you need to frame for that aspect ratio on ur LCD and crop the image in post.

If the above sounds confusing, then you need to do a little research on aspect ratios. Here's the wiki link. I haven't read it but from the looks of it, it has the basic info there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)

If you still have questions after reading the link, just post here again and we'll sort them out :)

EDIT: looks like Vader and i were writing at the same time. Yes, like he and i said, do a bit of research and then if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

The ratio you probably want is 16:9 (1.78) or 2.39.

I think the t2i has black bars in video mode so you can frame for 16:9.

If you want 2.39, then you need to frame for that aspect ratio on ur LCD and crop the image in post.

If the above sounds confusing, then you need to do a little research on aspect ratios. Here's the wiki link. I haven't read it but from the looks of it, it has the basic info there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)

If you still have questions after reading the link, just post here again and we'll sort them out :)

EDIT: looks like Vader and i were writing at the same time. Yes, like he and i said, do a bit of research and then if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Ernest, you are a better man than I.

2.35 isn't normal. There are a few TVs with this aspect ratio, but almost all HDTVs are 16:9, and that is what the T2i shoots at. 16:9 is also what most movies are shot at, not just indies, but even Hollywood. As a general rule, only big sweeping blockbusters get that 2.35 (2.39 in film, actually). It always weirds me out when small-time indie filmmakers make movies in 2.35, because the odds are greatest that their movie is going to be projected onto a 16:9 screen, or shown on a 16:9 TV.

16:9 is the current standard, and I imagine it will stay that way for quite some time.

The T2i can't shoot 2.35. You would have to crop the image in post. Playing the footage straight from your camera, you will always have letterboxes on the side, just as you would if you play any DVD that is 16:9 (although, something tells me that you're one of those people who has your TV set to stretch the footage to eliminate letterboxes -- that also weirds me out).

Okay I played around a lot with the TV picture settings and I have a 16:9 one. The biggest image size I was able to get with the camera was the same width of a 2.39 ratio about. I am comparing this to how big a 2.39 movie looks on my TV of course. Same width. However, the length of the image size is actually less than 16:9, since it has black bars on the left and right. How is it that this camera shoots in 16:9, yet I can't get it to fit a 16:9 TV?

Last edited:
Okay I played around a lot with the TV picture settings and I have a 16:9 one. The biggest image size I was able to get with the camera was the same width of a 2.39 ratio about. I am comparing this to how big a 2.39 movie looks on my TV of course. Same width. However, the length of the image size is actually less than 16:9, since it has black bars on the left and right. How is it that this camera shoots in 16:9, yet I can't get it to fit a 16:9 TV?

An aspect ratio is just that - a ratio, not a specific size. I would suggest looking in your TV's manual. We usually talk about the width and height of an image rather than length, given that the width is usually the largest measurement.

There's a little confusion about aspect ratios going on here - 35mm film has an aspect ratio of 1.85:1, which is slightly wider than 16:9 (or 1.78:1). Since 1970, anamorphic films have been shot in 2.39:1 (often rounded up to 2.4:1), not 2.35:1. Love, your local pedant.

Don't play it back off the camera. DSLRs have dirty HDMI outs.

You have to shoot in 16:9 on a DSLR with a normal photo lens, that's what you're shooting. Anything not showing up right is fault to the way you're playing it back or the TV itself.

Still confused? Hire a DP.

An aspect ratio is just that - a ratio, not a specific size. I would suggest looking in your TV's manual. We usually talk about the width and height of an image rather than length, given that the width is usually the largest measurement.

There's a little confusion about aspect ratios going on here - 35mm film has an aspect ratio of 1.85:1, which is slightly wider than 16:9 (or 1.78:1). Since 1970, anamorphic films have been shot in 2.39:1 (often rounded up to 2.4:1), not 2.35:1. Love, your local pedant.

Oh okay. I thought that 2.39:1 = 35mm film, and that 1.78:1 = 16mm. But anamorphic equals 2.39 and 35mm = 1.85. Well the movie The Dark Knight has the same width as my image size. Whichever width that is. But the length is shorter. I have read my TV manual and I have the option of "Full screen", 'Wide Zoom' and 'Zoom'. None of those blow up the image to 16:9.

Last edited:
Did IndieTalk become a TV tech support site when I wasn't looking?

:lol:

Well no it's at TV problem and not a movie problem. Normally the T2i should fit a 16:9 TV though, so I wouldn't have to enlarge the image in post, right?

No. Don't worry about playing back the footage directly from your camera to the TV. If you're ready to start playing around with your editing software, that is the only place that you need to worry about proper formatting (in fact, it's quite a common issue, when learning a new program, to figure out proper formats). So long as you format everything properly, and render properly, the T2i footage should fit absolutely perfectly on your TV, no need to "blow it up" or stretch it out, or to alter it in any way whatsoever. Your TV displays 16:9, your camera shoots 16:9, so fuggetaboutit. Just shoot your footage and edit it. You might want to edit some test-footage first, to make sure you've got your formatting down.

Back