Question about becoming union

Hey everybody,

I have a few questions for anyone who will and can answer. I am new and upcoming indie filmmaker and after seeing all the news about the strike and everything, I just had a few questions. First and foremost, if and when should a filmmaker become union? Is it necessary? Is it expensive? What are the benefits? I think I believe I see some of the setbacks (strike and no work). Also, when you are just starting out, would you be passed over if you decide that you don't want to become union? Are you supposed to be registered with the WGA or will you be safe not going that route for right now?

Sorry about all of the questions but I just like to be properly informed when I want to put my name to ANYTHING! With the strike going on, I don't want to make any irrational decisions but I also want to do what will be beneficial and profitable for myself as well.

Thanks in advance,

Triple Threat

Joining the WGA is necessary if you want to sell to prodCo's and
studios who are signatory companies - in other words, have an
agreement to hire only WGA writers.

It's expensive. But not overly so. It's too expensive for people who
aren't making a living writing.

There are many benefits. Far to many to go into here. Essentially: a
minimum pay rate is set - producers can't pay less than that. The
employer contributes to health and retirement benefits like other
companies even though you are working freelance. The WGA steps
in and helps when there are disagreements over credit. The WGA
does the accounting work when it comes to residuals.

Also, when you are just starting out, would you be passed over if you decide that you don't want to become union?
You will be passed over if the company is a WGA signatory.
Are you supposed to be registered with the WGA or will you be safe not going that route for right now?
You are safe right now. You can write and you can sell scripts without
being a member of the WGA. Just not to the prodCo's and studios
who are signatories.
I don't want to make any irrational decisions but I also want to do what will be beneficial and profitable for myself as well.
Don't worry about that now. When you have a script that a signatory
company wants and are offering you a lot of money for, then you need
to worry if not joining the WGA is irrational. Until then, you'll be just fine.

Hey Directorik

Hey Directorik,

First of all, thanks for the wonderful advice. But I just still have questions about the whole process. I understand what you mean and if I was just looking to sell my screenplay, then I would be alright for now. But my mission is to look for potential investors to invest in a movie that I plan on producing sometime late this year. Now would the same rules apply as far as this is concern? The people that I have in mind as far as investor potential most definitely probably are affiliated with WGA in some sort of way. Now what do I do? I don't want to get all the way down the road and set myself up for failure because I failed to cover my tracks.

Thanks in advance,

Triple Threat

Hey Directorik,

First of all, thanks for the wonderful advice. But I just still have questions about the whole process. I understand what you mean and if I was just looking to sell my screenplay, then I would be alright for now. But my mission is to look for potential investors to invest in a movie that I plan on producing sometime late this year. Now would the same rules apply as far as this is concern? The people that I have in mind as far as investor potential most definitely probably are affiliated with WGA in some sort of way. Now what do I do? I don't want to get all the way down the road and set myself up for failure because I failed to cover my tracks.

Thanks in advance,

Triple Threat

You might want to review the requirements. Unless you've already sold something in the last three years to a company under WGA jurisdiction, you are not eligible to join. Aren't you putting the cart before the horse?

http://www.wga.org/subpage_whoweare.aspx?id=84

Like directorik said, worry about this when you have a signatory ready to offer you a lot of money for your feature. I definitely plan to join once I am eligible.

Last edited:

Thanx VP because that's the reason I asked is because I didn't know. They say that knowing is half the battle and knowledge is power. So I plan on being powerful in the battle...ha.

Have a nice day.

Triple Threat

Hey Directorik,

Thanks in advance,

Triple Threat
I don’t quite follow.

If you are producing (putting together financing and a company) then you
are in charge. You can hire whoever you want - including yourself as writer.

But I think I’m missing your concern. The investors you have in mind most
definitely probably are affiliated with the WGA? I don’t understand how
investors are affiliated with the guild.

You can write your script without being a member. You can set up a prodCo
and LLC without being a member. You can solicit investors without being a
member. You can even make a movie without being a member of the WGA.

Like...

You can write your script without being a member. You can set up a prodCo and LLC without being a member. You can solicit investors without being a member. You can even make a movie without being a member of the WGA.

Me. I'm WGA eligible and have been for years but it's just not for me. The prodco I'm affiliated with is not a struck company and none of the investors we talk to ALL THE TIME have anything to do with the WGA.

filmy

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly filmy.

I have never heard of investors who are affiliated with the WGA.
All of the movies I direct or write and direct are non-union shows.
Sometimes we use SAG, but never WGA, DGA or IA. And I've
never met an investor who was affiliated with the WGA.

tameka - I'm thinking you are worrying about a problem that doesn't
exist. But in case you're not, and you know investors who will only
invest in a movie written by a guild member, I even have some
advice along those lines.

Hey Directorik and Filmy

Hey Directorik and Filmy,

I want to personally thank you guys SOOOOOOO much because you have continued to help me in my answers. Directorik, you have DEFINITELY answered me with what I was looking for. I don't think that I worded it correctly, but you in all you infinite wisdom have picked my question apart until you answer it exactly! Thanks again! I wanted to know about whether or not I had to join in order to contact any investors and you have helped me out so much.

As for you Filmy, you know that you are the bomb to me!

Thanks again,

Triple Threat

Back