• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

PWC's

I'd like to introduce a new piece of terminology into indie circles.

PWC's [Producers Without Chequebooks]

In the last three months I've had maybe three or four meetings where a producer has offered to produce my last screenplay, one where he had $20,000 to cut promotional trailers, one with an extensive TV background and one who had already started casting the film before acquiring the rights!

To a person they each expected to be able to option my screenplay for NOTHING, on the vague promise of money in the future. And in each case I declined.

There are a number of contradictions in the industry --

On one hand producers universally acknowledge that there is a criminal shortage of good screenplays.

It's also universally understood that without a good script it's impossible to make a good film.

In a normal supply/demand market a scarcity of product drives the product price up, not down.

However, I do understand why they place no value on the product, truth is that everyone in this industry thinks they can write. :lol:

There's been a lot of talk over the years on this forum about distribution -- more and more I realise that the problems with the indie film scene aren't about distribution or funding -- there is only one problem, the scripts aren't good enough!

The indie scene is never going to mature into a valid indsutry as long PWC's are out there making films where the script isn't either ready or good enough, simply because

A) The could acquire the IP for free
and
B) They don't have or appreciate the skills involved in script development.

Bottom line is that in the market place a FREE script is worth every penny you paid for it.

It's great to be a self reliant indie and be able to do everything, but it's not realistic -- I'm good at directing actors. a dodgy camera operator, a so, so edtor -- but the bottom line is that I'm starting to become an really good screenwriter. That's where both my skills and passion lay.

If we're serious about progressing as an indie industry, maybe more of us should be dropping the Jack of All trades approach to film making -- then start acknowledging our strenghts and developing them.

I'd be happy never to direct or cut another film in my life, if I could make a comfortable living screenwriting.

But for that to work, some of you would have to sit back and say "You know, I'm never going to cut it as a writer, I'm really a great cinematographer" or director or editor or even a producer... whatever the hell it is you excell at in film making.

Maybe it's time to spend the hours that you would have put into writing a screenplay that sucks into rasing the money to pay an indie whose talents and passions lie in writing.

[I don't automatically mean ME!]:lol:

I'm actually making the move to more of a DP role. I've found that this is my forte, although I can fill all of the shoes on the set all at once, little things get overlooked when I'm multitasking that heavily. One of the reasons I had the Jack of all trades (and I think this rings true for most) is that when starting out, you won't get the piece made if you don't take responsibility and ownership of all of the aspects. Often, we start out surrounded by people who think filmmaking is a bizarre hobby that'll never go anywhere. We are the only ones who see the end product, therefore it's our responsibility to take action.

Once you have a couple of pieces under your belt, it becomes easier scopewise and even logistically to move into a role where you are more comfortable with the craft and with letting go of some of the control of the story.
When starting out, generally you're making a story that came out of your head and learning the relationships between the movie in your head, the script, the shoot day and the final product. This process allows you to see that what is in your head may not always translate to screen well and will require tweaking. At that point, moving to paying for a script or hiring a writer to make the story in your head becomes more of an option.

I dunno- the jack-of-all-trades approach has a definite advantage; it allows the director to be empathetic with the actor, while still being able to understand the needs and limitations of the Dop and Editor, etc, etc. I think it's a good way to learn for sure... but yeah, it'd be nice to only have to wear 1 or 2 caps on set. But yeah- writing is the most important part for sure... it's the root of everything- the extension of the idea... but dangnammit screenwriters get paid well!

but dangnammit screenwriters get paid well

Not by PWC's they don't.

Just to round the rant off, heard a horendous tale the other day about a practice being adopted a lot amongst UK producers.

It goes like this -- option script for nothing or as little as possible, with agreed "generous" payment terms due on first day of principle photography.

Come first day of principle photography casually forget to send cheque to writer, tell writer "God damn it, don't you know I'm in the middle of making your film."

Producer then strings along the writer with promises and excuses until the film gets through post.

Producer completes and sells film, but ensures that the negative cost keeps rolling to lock out any back end payments, runs the Ltd company into bankruptcy and therefore mires the writer in dealing with the sequestrator. Therefore no payment.

Producer makes money, everyone else gets shafted.

Producer sets up new project, forms new Ltd company, starts all over again.

I've friend who writes books and West end shows, his favorite saying is "Until the cheque clears, it's all just talk."

I used to think he was a just a cynical media slut, but actually he's right.

cct.jpg

Great thread...

clive said:

In the last three months I've had maybe three or four meetings where a producer has offered to produce my last screenplay, one where he had $20,000 to cut promotional trailers, one with an extensive TV background and one who had already started casting the film before acquiring the rights!

To a person they each expected to be able to option my screenplay for NOTHING, on the vague promise of money in the future. And in each case I declined.

There are a number of contradictions in the industry --

On one hand producers universally acknowledge that there is a criminal shortage of good screenplays.

It's also universally understood that without a good script it's impossible to make a good film.

In a normal supply/demand market a scarcity of product drives the product price up, not down.

However, I do understand why they place no value on the product, truth is that everyone in this industry thinks they can write. :lol:

There's been a lot of talk over the years on this forum about distribution -- more and more I realise that the problems with the indie film scene aren't about distribution or funding -- there is only one problem, the scripts aren't good enough!

The indie scene is never going to mature into a valid indsutry as long PWC's are out there making films where the script isn't either ready or good enough, simply because

A) The could acquire the IP for free
and
B) They don't have or appreciate the skills involved in script development.

Bottom line is that in the market place a FREE script is worth every penny you paid for it.

It's great to be a self reliant indie and be able to do everything, but it's not realistic -- I'm good at directing actors. a dodgy camera operator, a so, so edtor -- but the bottom line is that I'm starting to become an really good screenwriter. That's where both my skills and passion lay.

If we're serious about progressing as an indie industry, maybe more of us should be dropping the Jack of All trades approach to film making -- then start acknowledging our strenghts and developing them.

I'd be happy never to direct or cut another film in my life, if I could make a comfortable living screenwriting.

But for that to work, some of you would have to sit back and say "You know, I'm never going to cut it as a writer, I'm really a great cinematographer" or director or editor or even a producer... whatever the hell it is you excell at in film making.

Maybe it's time to spend the hours that you would have put into writing a screenplay that sucks into rasing the money to pay an indie whose talents and passions lie in writing.

[I don't automatically mean ME!]:lol:
And as you know... One very close to my heart...

While I wouldn't go so far as to tell anyone to simply focus on what you're good at, I sure as HELL would recommend to learn how to write a kick-ass screenplay.

I personally find that this is almost ALWAYS the weakest link in the filmmaking chain... Let's say you write a great screenplay but execute a poor film... I know 2 people that have done that and turned right around and sold the screenplay because it was well executed AS A SCREENPLAY. The producers that purchased the screenplays watched the film that was made from it and while they weren't impressed with the actual films, they could see that with more money, the story would be impressive... Hence, the two scripts were sold.

Another outstanding reason to learn how to write is so that you have both feet in the industry... One writing outstanding screenplays and getting paid for it and the other making films. I guarantee everyone on this board that if you just wrote an outstanding screenplay and sold it, you would be allowed to stay on the set while the film is shot and learn everything you can about the process so that your work can improve... Having said that, I've seen some shorts here from filmmakers that could probably create a hell of a feature if they just had a great screenplay...

It just kills me to see the screenplays I see on a weekly basis... Everybody prefaces their submission by saying something like, "just tell me what's wrong with the story..."

Fine... But if all the little problems with the script along the way are making it difficult to read, turn the page, and even finish the damn thing, why do I even care about the story? I know a lot of great stories. Hell, I get ideas for great stories every week but turning those into OUTSTANDING screenplays is hard work. Just creating an outstanding outline can take months... Then you still have to write an outstanding screenplay.

Story doesn't mean ANYTHING if you can't execute the story into an outstanding screenplay and it means even less if you can't even execute the story into a screenplay that someone can finish reading.

Yet most Indie filmmakers seem to think they can somehow "transcend" a shitty screenplay into a film that's going to launch careers...

No way.

I contend that once you learn how to write a great screenplay... One that Hollywood would be willing to pay you a million dollars for, your Independent filmmaking will improve 1000%. Probably more.

Why?

Because everybody knows great material when they have it in their hands... The people you recruit for your project will see your vision and want to be a part of it. How many of us have helped out Indie filmmakers on projects we KNEW would never see the light of day?

I know I have... And I did it just to be around filmmaking... For the love of it. And, of course I learned a lot but now I'm way past that learning curve and would only be willing to lend a hand on someone's project only after having read the screenplay... If it's there -- I'm there. And so will everyone else.

I contend that the screenplay is very likely the LEAST respected and understood aspect of Indie filmmaking when it should be the exact opposite. I'll watch an outstanding story shot on anything IF IT'S AN OUTSTANDING STORY. But execute a crappy story on HiDef, Super16, or even 35mm and nobody cares...

There are so many reasons to learn how to write a great screenplay that it should, on the face of even mentioning it, BE OBVIOUS. Unfortunately, too many Indie filmmakers think they can make up for lack of story in the filmmaking process...

Nope.

I guess that's one of the reasons I read so many Indie scripts and I do try to help people become better screenwriters if they allow me to. Unfortunately, many can't get past the bad critique... Too bad if this is your passion.

filmy

I contend that the screenplay is very likely the LEAST respected and understood aspect of Indie filmmaking when it should be the exact opposite. I'll watch an outstanding story shot on anything IF IT'S AN OUTSTANDING STORY. But execute a crappy story on HiDef, Super16, or even 35mm and nobody cares...

My point exaclty.

Unfortunately, many can't get past the bad critique...

This is so true, can't tell you how many times I've given a screenwriter notes on their script only to be told "to go F%@* myself"

The thing I've learned in the last year is not only how much I've still got to learn about screenwriting, but just the sheer extent of work that goes into turning a rough idea into a fully formed screenplay.

In particular the levels of background research that need to form each piece.

From what I understand at the moment, the first draft of a screenplay is what most people achieve.

A first draft is where you tell the story to yourself, and therefore it doesn't matter how you tell the story or even how it's formatted -- fundamentally it's about forming your ideas.

Now as indies, because we can take that script and make it (because the film exists in our heads), we often find it difficult to take the next step.

SCRIPT DEVELOPMENT.

This is where the idea gets broken down into all it's bit, examined under a microscope and then restructured and written for someone else to read.

It seems to me that this is where the work often doesn't happen -- because actually this is the hardest part.

Going back to the issue of PWCs

In truth they make the same mistake as the writers -- they understand the idea, believe if they make the film it will sell, because they like the idea -- but, they don't have the skills to help the writer identify the flaws in the screenplay and thus turn it into a great product.

As writers we're often our own worst enemies, simply because we fail to see the creation of a screenplay as a process, and that notes are part of that process. -- If we get so attached to our own ego images of ourselves as great writers, we end up not getting the job done.

There is no such thing as a perfect screenplay -- there is always room for improvement.

I can't thank Filmy enough for all the information that he's given me via indietalk, it's all been solid gold -- and the truth is it shows in how I'm writing now.

That'a the reason I've got PWC's crawling all over me trying to acquire my screenplay -- Now all I have to do is find one with some money in the bank.

By the way -- read a fascinating article the other day, that suggested that many would be screenwriters launch their careers a year too early -- They get one good screenplay and launch themselves into the market place.
This producer suggested that if they took another year out -- developed a second project and then took both to market they stand a better chance of building a long term career.

It seems as screenwriters a slate is just as important as it is for a producer.

Last edited:
Great T shirt -- pity we spell Cheque this way in the UK! Otherwise I'd wear it to every meeting I every did!

Oh, minor thing ... shouldn't ITS be IT'S, because it is an abrreviation of IT IS ?

I could be wrong about this, I so often am.

Last edited:
I have to agree that PWC's are the lowest of the low. I have "contacts" that won't give me the time of day, too. Why the hell do I need to hook up with a PWC?

There is a special place in hell for the PWC.

clive said:

Perhaps PWOC's, then.

Without, being w/o.

PWC can be confused with "with".

Plus, PWOC can be pronounced "pee wock". ;)

Back