Project Greenlight: Season 4

sfoster

Staff Member
I've only seen one or two episodes of a prior green light.. I think it might have been season 2. It got way too "reality TV" for me and not nearly enough BTS but I tuned in and watched this new first episode for season 4.

Anyone else watch this?
I can't help but think they picked the wrong guy just to create more drama on the film set. Why even interview and meet the people if you pick the guy who did the worst one?

Looks to me like this is nothing more than reality TV, engineered to create drama, not to make a great film.

I disagree with you in one respect.

While it is pretty clear they went with the guy that provides the most drama, I think they established through their discussions, and the clips, that without a doubt he was the best and most interesting fillmmaker out of the 13 finalists.

It think Damon and Affleck have souls of artists, and they were legitimately interested in the type of film that this guy could make out of the script.

Even the judges who thought he might be the wrong guy for this script were pretty clear that his film of the dating video was the best film.

And, you have to admit, (from the clips they showed of his dating film,) that aesthetic would fit nicely on HB

Last edited:
I think they probably did pick the best filmmaker. And also it seems like his directing style is a better fit with HBO. They don't really make commercial films. He's more like a Cohen brothers type probably. But goddamnit, this guy is demanding. But I agree with his decision on having at least an option for a different writer. It could make or break the movie. Poor Pete.

And all those submission videos were so great. I feel like a f*ckin loser right now. F*ckin worthless.

He gave such a terrible interview and the script didn't seem like a good fit for him at all. He said he doesn't even know how to make it into a good movie.

Sure he may have some talent but I most certainly would not want him at the helm if it were my money invested in this broad comedy. HBO probably makes more off the reality TV aspect of green light so I can see why they picked him for the drama.

Back