Progressive and interlace camera all in one.

Has anyone heard of this camera.

Canon XL2 MiniDV Camcorder

From the research I have done on it. It seems that i can shoot in either interlaced or progressive. I find it a bit odd but so far thats what all the reviews have been telling me. I find it odd because most of the progressive cameras i have been looking up are extremely expensive. However this one looks like it is in my range. I feel it's one of those " to god to be true" moments. anyone have any experience with this type of camera?

The XL2 was state of the art, about 10 years ago.

It's a standard definition camera that records to mini-dv. You could swap out XL lenses on it, which was pretty much it's big edge over the competition back in the day, the Panasonic DVX-100.

It's still a great camera, but there's an HD version available now (at much greater price), but you could probably find something HD in an equitable bracket if $2.5k to $3k is what those XL2's still go for.

As Steve said, it was a great camera 10 years ago. Can we ask what your intended use is? I did a simple google search, and was seeing prices for the XL2 in the $1000-$3600 range. For that kind of money, I'm not sure I'd get a non HD camera, and one that records to tape. I know there are some that love/loved taped based media, but I wasn't a fan of the real time ingestion into digital.

If you give us an idea of your budget, and what you're interested in doing with the camera, and I'd bet a lot of people around here would have plenty of suggestions for you.

I find it odd that you asked a question, then got almost defensive when you received answers to your question.

I also find it odd that you are actively looking for something that shoots interlaced. There are legit reasons to want that format, but I wouldn't expect it from a newb. Are you filming stuff that you expect to be broadcast on TV?

It's actually not particularly odd to have cameras that shoot both anymore... most DSLRs only do progressive, but quite a few mid-upper range camcorders do both. Some of the less expensive ones wrap the progressive images in an interlaced signal, but it's still possible to extract the original progressive frames in post if necessary. In fact, technically the XL2 does this ( the signal on tape is 60i) but since it only does 30 frame progressive it's very simple to change the stream to progressive by just changing a flag in your editing system.

Back