Production Starts...Listen in!

LLM.jpg

My latest film "pushes off" into production tomorrow. A romantic film something different for me but I'm ready for it. This thing has been in the making for a year now! That's a long pre-production! :P It's going to be awesome, we're going to have every camera we got pointed at the sky....2 digital video cameras, 2 still cameras(digital, 35mm) Super 8 and 16mm cameras will be rolling as well. We're going to have about 2 other balloons flying next to the cast balloon to get nice aerials of all the action.

I'll be posting audio updates all throughout this weekend on my blog, http://phillipsfilms.blogspot.com/

So stay tuned for updates! Be apart of the fun, come and listen in to updates and give your comments!

P.S. Good luck to anyone else filming this weekend as well. ;)

Last edited:
You are insane, good sir
smiley_patriot.gif

...but then again, the talented Micia is in the basket, too...
smiley_fatcat.gif

How do you coordinate all three hot-air balloons? Have some kind of wireless communications setup?

You must have crazily detailed shot lists planned out.

How do you plan for filming it, when balloons can drift apart? (Or are they steerable?)

Have a parachute?

_______

You'd better be updating that audio-blog daily for the duration... or all IndieTalk will be assuming the worst.

Oh, and what is the expected duration of the final cut?

Awesome i can't wait to see this. Good luck.

P.S And Zen insane is what gets you noticed. I need to come up with a crazy insane plan myself. Cause I'm getting tired of the day job.

vegasindiestv said:
Cause I'm getting tired of the day job.

I know that feeling indeed, good sir!

_______

Bumping this thread, as the website has been updated with a couple of pics (no audio blog, though) :(

I bet Cohen & Micia are hard stressed about now (not to mention the other balloon operators)... there had better be a nice write-up on how this turns out. :)

It's a wrap! It was so awesome! Being up there and filming. We had another camera in another balloon getting areial footage of the balloon we were in. Kansas City AeroSports were great to work with! Gave us everything we asked for. Such nice people. Saturday went very smooth. We got through all our dialouge as well. It was a gorgeous day out too and the winds were about 3-5mph. Prefect for flying! I'll post some screengrabs soon.

Now to answer a few questions.... on the blog there is audio clips. :) There are 2 of them on there.
How do you coordinate all three hot-air balloons? Have some kind of wireless communications setup?
We had those 2 mile walkie talkies. So I could stay in contact with the ground and air units.

You must have crazily detailed shot lists planned out.
I had a very basic one. As you get 1,000-2,000 ft off the ground it's alittle hard to start to control what angles your going to get.

How do you plan for filming it, when balloons can drift apart? (Or are they steerable?)
They just go where the wind is taking them. The balloons didn't stay that close together. They are somewhat steerable, as he can spin up but that's about it.

Have a parachute?
Nope. We did our own stunts without anything. Jackie Chan would be proud.

HailtotheKing said:
Now to answer a few questions.... on the blog there is audio clips. :)

The internet is smarter than I am, Mr HailKing :no:

I cannot find the audioclip links for the life of me. Have the exact page URL?

Edit: Found them. I am idiot.

Thanks for covering the other Qs. You are a braver soul than I, going up in one of those.

Last edited:
No it's fine Zen. I had someone email and ask where they were too. Wish they would make the buttons bigger. :P

Here are a few screengrabs from the video we shot.

LLM008.jpg

Airing up the balloon.

LLM005.jpg

In Flight

LLM002.jpg

We're about 1,000ft off the ground, even though the ground looks closer at this angle.

And this pic is for Zen!!!
LLM011.jpg

Back