Producer Rep Fee? What should I do?

Ok, so I had a rep. from a producer rep group contact me through facebook and say they wanted to see my wonderful film (exact words) that had recently made a film festival. So I sent them a copy of it, and then about a month later they contacted me and said they wanted to represent me but for a retainer fee of $2,500. I told them I couldn't afford it and would have to pass on their offer. They called back and said they'd lower it to $1,500 and make up the $1,000 difference in the distribution deal they'll get for the film. So now I'm considering it, since they were willing to lower the fee. Since they lowered the fee they've been contacting me a couple times a week, really pushing for me to sign a deal with them telling me my film has a really good chance to get distribution in the international film market, and that they want to start getting it out at some really good opportunities at the beginning of the new year.

Does this sound legit? Or am I being bamboozled?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your advice, it's been very good! However, I am now being threatened by Jon Gursha and Peter Greene, that if I "do not take this post down," they will bring legal action to me, and will not stop harassing me until I bring this post down. Can you bring legal action against someone for simply asking in forum if their company is legit? What in the world are they talking about? They basically said in the email that they WILL NOT leave me alone until this post is gone.

They want me to give them $2,500, but come at me with LEGAL THREATS when I ask an open question on a forum about them? So according to Peter Greene and Jon Gursha, it's illegal to ask a question about a company, especially when that company wants thousands from you.
For the record I didn't read anything other than the FIRST post when I responded. My response was in regards to producer's reps (agents, etc) IN GENERAL who charge up front -- but NEVER any specific producer's reps, agents, etc. I have absolutely no knowledge about this specific company that is later mentioned in posts. Never even heard of them. There may be well intentioned reps and agents out there who only take on films that they believe will sell (even though they are missing out on money making opportunities by taking on films that they don't believe in), but my opinion remains that as a general rule of thumb you shouldn't pay reps and agents up front. I see an inherit conflict of interest that someone who charges money up front might want to just take every film under the sun that comes their way. Again this is in the general sense -- not directed at any specific individual companies or individuals. That is my opinion about an important issue of public significance.

Last edited:
Just don't make any FALSE statements of fact (that may be damaging) about a specific company. Example: saying "Company X puts rat feces in their soft drinks" with no basis would be trade defamation. Discussion about whether it's the norm (or with or without conflict of interest, etc) for producer reps to ask for money up-front may be be unsavory but this is just opinions about the industry in general and is fair game for discussion. Imagine if Kroger's supermarket chain began charging shoppers to park in their lot but we couldn't criticize it in a public discussion. That's not the way America was founded. In fact in California the anti-SLAPP statute actually PROTECTS free speech. Just ask Barbara Streisand when she had to pay a defendant's legal fees over a lawsuit regarding a public issue.

They've contacted others as well. I directed them to Indietalk himself to determine how he'd like to proceed since this is now a community discussion. I am loathe to act on a discussion that isn't libellous, nor an attack. I've invited / encouraged them to join in the conversation and air their concerns about our communities concerns.

This sounds like a rather unscrupulous company, and probably enough red flags have been raised to scare off any future IndieTalk clients.

About producer's reps in general, I'll offer my own experience, for anyone interested:

I'm repped by a manager in Los Angeles. He deals primarily at the major studio level, and by his own admission has limited knowledge of the independent film industry. A former colleague of his founded a producer's rep firm in L.A. along with a couple of partners. My manager sent my film to them, and they expressed an interest in handling it...for a rather hefty up-front fee.

Of course, both my manager and I balked immediately at that - the fee amounted to a third of my production budget! In their defense, I will say that the fee included all legal services - negotiations, contracts, accounting and audits, if necessary - the partners in the firm are all seasoned entertainment attorneys. If the film were a success, one might easily spend that much on attorney fees anyway. But it was still a ridiculous sum for my budget level.

I did some online research and ran across several articles like the one cited by slapshot, which seemed to confirm my decision to pass on the offer. My manager agreed that the fee was unreasonable, but did some calling around to his contacts in the industry. To our surprise, he was told by several producers that upfront fees for producer's reps are actually commonplace now. Because of the huge volume of indie material out there, many distributors will no longer bother to even screen the films sent to them unless they contain a recognizable name or are submitted by a reputable firm.

The firm that offered to handle my film was recommended across-the-board as one of the most reputable in the biz. My manager was assured by many that, yes, they're expensive, but worth every penny.

But the price was still way too high. We made them a counter-offer of about a quarter of the amount, and they countered with a slightly higher figure, plus a guarantee of the remainder on the back end. It was still pretty steep - well into four digits - but with all of the assurances from my manager's contacts I decided to take the chance.

They spent about 9 months sending the movie out to about 50 distributors and following up to make certain it was being reviewed. They divided the distributors into 3 tiers - tier 1 was comprised of the big names that everyone's heard of: Fox Searchlight, Lion's Gate, Miramax, Sony Classics, etc. No takers there, not surprisingly, so they moved on to tier 2, which are names that many IT'ers may recognize, but few in the mainstream would know. They fully expected interest at that level, but it didn't happen. So they moved onto tier 3, which was the smaller/newer names.

In the end, my film did not get picked up. The producer's rep firm seemed very surprised, but did acknowledge that there is a glut of indie horror product right now, and films need to have some major marketing element to attract the top distributors.

They also acknowledged that there were many other distributors to whom they could have submitted the film, but chose not to because those distributors had a reputation of screwing producers out of their percentage. I was free to submit to those distributors if I so desired, and the firm would still act as my legal representative, but they would not take responsibility for any unscrupulous behavior on the part of the distributor.

So, bottom line (for those of you still reading :) ): I'm out the upfront fee, but do not owe the balance. I still don't have a distributor, but I do have the firm's assurance of legal representation if something does pan out. Would I do it again? Probably not at that same budget level, though everyone thought my film's relatively high production value would have more impact in the market.

Take what you will from this expensive lesson. There is no clean-cut, hard and fast rule about producer's reps. It's a tough market, whether or not you have representation.

Great story. I believe there is some commonplace to it now, definitely. The point that stands out in your story is that you did the "research" before investing, and found some good references and contacts to verify that they were legitimate, and could really help you.

Conversations like these, I think really help indie filmmakers to get a better understanding of the distribution end of things, and save them from trying to determine what is "legitimate" and what is a "ripoff".

Within this discussion board I found, there is some interesting info. about Film Marketing Services:

http://216.86.148.111/showthread.php?threadid=3365675&pagenumber=18&perpage=40#post407999325

Well they don't sound new then, those posts were back in 2007. Interesting that they had suspicious customers all the way back then.... They need to do something about their transparency :/ (if they are legit!)

The firm that offered to handle my film was recommended across-the-board as one of the most reputable in the biz. My manager was assured by many that, yes, they're expensive, but worth every penny.

They spent about 9 months sending the movie out to about 50 distributors and following up to make certain it was being reviewed. They divided the distributors into 3 tiers - tier 1 was comprised of the big names that everyone's heard of: Fox Searchlight, Lion's Gate, Miramax, Sony Classics, etc. No takers there, not surprisingly, so they moved on to tier 2, which are names that many IT'ers may recognize, but few in the mainstream would know. They fully expected interest at that level, but it didn't happen. So they moved onto tier 3, which was the smaller/newer names.

In the end, my film did not get picked up. The producer's rep firm seemed very surprised, but did acknowledge that there is a glut of indie horror product right now, and films need to have some major marketing element to attract the top distributors.
I'm not too sure that even so-called "reputable" companies can be trusted, especially attorneys who stand to make money up front no matter what when they take on your film. Attorneys don't make money if they tell you that your movie is not good enough to shop. Same goes when you approach an attorney to look at a contract that has been offered to you. Are they gonna tell you "This company sucks. Don't do it." when in saying so they are passing up on work? You can't ignore the conflicts of interest that exist. You almost need to hire a separate fiduciary for pure advice on certain things.

I'm not too sure that even so-called "reputable" companies can be trusted, especially attorneys who stand to make money up front no matter what when they take on your film. Attorneys don't make money if they tell you that your movie is not good enough to shop. Same goes when you approach an attorney to look at a contract that has been offered to you. Are they gonna tell you "This company sucks. Don't do it." when in saying so they are passing up on work? You can't ignore the conflicts of interest that exist. You almost need to hire a separate fiduciary for pure advice on certain things.

I can't argue with you, Blade. I'm out the money with no distribution to show for it, so caveat emptor, I suppose.

On the other hand, the notion that the major distributors are inundated with product these days and won't bother to screen material without a pedigree of some sort is also well substantiated. And there is no question that a filmmaker would be well-advised to retain the services of an entertainment attorney if an offer comes across the table, so combining those two benefits - in addition to their glowing reputation - certainly does have its appeal.

I will add that this firm encouraged my manager and me to contact their other clients for feedback before signing with them. They also said that the instances in which they had failed to secure a deal were extremely rare and claimed that, in the wake their most recent failure, they had offered to represent that filmmaker's next project at no charge, and the filmmaker had taken them up on it. Whether they would do the same for me, I don't know, since they charged me a substantially reduced rate to begin with. I'll certainly give it a shot, though. :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your advice, it's been very good! However, I am now being threatened by Jon Gursha and Peter Greene, that if I "do not take this post down," they will bring legal action to me, and will not stop harassing me until I bring this post down. Can you bring legal action against someone for simply asking in forum if their company is legit? What in the world are they talking about? They basically said in the email that they WILL NOT leave me alone until this post is gone.

They want me to give them $2,500, but come at me with LEGAL THREATS when I ask an open question on a forum about them? So according to Peter Greene and Jon Gursha, it's illegal to ask a question about a company, especially when that company wants thousands from you.

Please do NOT give those two guys your money. Jon Gursha and Peter Greene,who operate out of Marina Del Rey got me for $1500 a couple of years ago.They made all these promises about what they could get for my film,and they never got me a dime. All they did was offer me deals from 3rd rate distributors who would take a movie that was shot with a camera phone,because they had nothing to loose anyway. I repeat,do NOT give these guys your money. Its difficult to find negative information about them online because they have all of the negative info removed from search engines. I have been in touch with others who have worked (and are currently working) with them,and it's the same story. Save your money

They basically said in the email that they WILL NOT leave me alone until this post is gone.

If they continue to communicate with you about this forum post (not sure if they are) then you might consider sending THEM a cease and desist. Demand letters are usually nothing more than arguments, and sometimes arguments have no legal grounds to stand on. I've received demand letters before from both individuals and lawyers (regarding matters unrelated to this topic) and the senders were always talking out of their ass, claiming to cite law that applied but in reality didn't. A friend of mine is currently receiving demand letters from a lawyer regarding a business. The lawyer didn't even bother citing any case law -- just empty threats to sue. When people can't even do research and cite case law they are really talking out of their asses.

Last edited:
if your film is ready to market register it at OMS

I have repped various films and I never ask for an upfront fee. In the film industry the golden rule is if someone asks for money upfront there is no guarantee as to the services they offer could yield results, so they need to cover their backs.

I have setup a web portal for people exactly like you who need to expose their film to international buyers. log in register and add your title free of charge. offmyshelf.com

Good luck
A A

golden rule is if someone asks for money upfront there is no guarantee as to the services they offer could yield results, so they need to cover their backs.
Or they could be gladly taking money even though they don't think the film has any chance of getting picked up and even though they know the indie film business is shrinking.

Sharks.

Any emails that come in like this that request a retainer fee, hit Delete.

There are many many unscrupulous ass***les out there who will screw indie folks over - they know our dreams (making movies etc), they'll promise to help, take your $$$$$ but deliver nothing for it.

And some will have very professional looking websites.... Some will even steal the names of legitimate agents and producers with solid IMDB credits so be very careful. If they ask for money, delete.

Sharks.

Any emails that come in like this that request a retainer fee, hit Delete.

There are many many unscrupulous ass***les out there who will screw indie folks over - they know our dreams (making movies etc), they'll promise to help, take your $$$$$ but deliver nothing for it.

And some will have very professional looking websites.... Some will even steal the names of legitimate agents and producers with solid IMDB credits so be very careful. If they ask for money, delete.
Even so-called "legitimate" agents and producers who don't want to get a real job are taking people's money. You see what appears to be legitimate professionals all over the entertainment industry... Media distributors who run unprofitable businesses whereby THEY get paid but their suppliers get paid pennies on the dollar. Eventually they declare bankruptcy if the venders won't "settle". Then you have the casting agents who earn kickbacks from photographers when they tell their actors "Oh you need new pictures". You really have to keep your eye on the money. That's what they're after.

Back