Procrastination?

Hey guy's, lately I've been going through somewhat of a dry spell in terms of filmmaking. When i first got my kit, i wasn't afraid. I went out there and shot a few videos and didn't care that they came out horrible. But slowly as the months went by i started putting a lot of pressure on myself, i constantly believed that i could do better than what i'm currently doing and this kind of attitude is kind of what is stopping me from actually creating anything.

I always talk like i have big plans for my films but when it comes to put the money where my mouth is, i start making excuses like the locations i have available are not good enough or the weather is rubbish etc.

I'm not sure if it's just me going through this but is there anyone who can offer some advice on how i can actually start delivering and get out of this bad habit ? :)

Thank's!

Hey guy's, lately I've been going through somewhat of a dry spell in terms of filmmaking. When i first got my kit, i wasn't afraid. I went out there and shot a few videos and didn't care that they came out horrible. But slowly as the months went by i started putting a lot of pressure on myself, i constantly believed that i could do better than what i'm currently doing and this kind of attitude is kind of what is stopping me from actually creating anything.

I always talk like i have big plans for my films but when it comes to put the money where my mouth is, i start making excuses like the locations i have available are not good enough or the weather is rubbish etc.

I'm not sure if it's just me going through this but is there anyone who can offer some advice on how i can actually start delivering and get out of this bad habit ? :)

Thank's!

I know that feeling. Didn't go past it much. I'm always looking for someone, not to help, but to go along. I want to challenge my ideas with someone else in front of me, build up on it and support each other when we feel down.

Sometimes, I feel like I'm fooling myself with this filmmaking thing. Nobody around me cares about it and I don't feel I have what it takes to do it all alone. I need other people to get involved.

I did direct very modest and scarce projects though, and that's one of the few things that keep me from ... "meh, fuck it, who wanna buy my stuff ?"

Do you have any friends who are as jumped up as you when it comes to filmmaking ? If yes, shoot any dumb thing that comes through your mind. You don't even need a story, it's just for sport. Just shoot something.

Join a club man. That's the best way to do it. I joined a club here and I had immediate access to a crew. I don't go much anymore, but I think I'm going to start going again.

It's a difficult lifestyle. Everything costs money and time. And to get better, you just have to keep doing it over and over and that just takes... well, more money and more time. It's a rough ride. But we ain't got no choice man. We all just have to sack up.
good luck!! :)

Sometimes you complain about everything because your subconscious is telling you that the storytelling is not good enough. Not bad, but just not good enough [yet]. When you feel like you have a brilliant story on hands, including small details, maybe you start to do the opposite: the location actually is not so good, but it will be for this film.

Just my opinion. :)

My cure for procrastination? A notebook by your bed. Every night, before you go to sleep, write down one thing you did to further your filmmaking. Do something EVERY day. If you aren't shooting, write a little. If you aren't writing, study lighting or sound. If you aren't studying, research promotion and distribution. You get the idea.

The important thing is that you do at least one thing every day to achieve your goals (whatever those goals may be!)

I great book I found for people who procrastinate is called "Brilliant Life" it helps you workout what your goals are, what your targets should be and how to go about things.

It basically teaches you to work in 90 day targets.... For example your goal would be to make a short film in the next 90 days... You can then use the book to help you break things down into smaller pieces and work through them.

I can be terrible sometimes at having ideas and not following them through and making excuses. But I always feel happy and glad when I complete a project

Someone already mentioned working on a project that isn't yours, but I have to second that. Find something that needs crew and hop on, it'll allow you to work on your craft without feeling the immense pressure that the film or project you're working on has to be perfect. You can just let it go and focus on your skills for whatever job you take on. This will also give you networking opportunities to find crew when you're ready to make your own films again.

Video Production

Back