Pro tools anyone? Voice manipulation help

I am trying to achieve a stage announcer effect in my voice. Any advice on how to do this in pro tools? I've played around with some of the audiosuite plugins but I'm not getting my desired effect :no:

Thanks

Performance is all. No plug-in is going to change the performance, only the tone, perspective and, in some cases, the formant.

For example, lots of people ask how to get that "classic" voice over tone - usually meaning the voice of Don LaFontaine. Sorry, it can't be done; you need to have that voice to begin with. Yes, there are techniques that will get you closer - mic selection, mic technique, line delivery, and the like - but nothing will make you sound like Don LaFontaine.

Now, if you are asking for the PA sound, again, you should start from scratch. Most stage mics used for that purpose are dynamics - the Shure SM-58 is a standard - and sound different than condenser mics. Then you need to deliver the lines as a stage announcer would with that mic, probably almost shouting. And you should "eat" the mic; deliver the lines with your lips almost touching the wind-screen. Then you put the resulting recording through an IR reverb like AltiVerb and/or a processor like SpeakerPhone, which have various speaker emulations and "real world" ambient environments. If you don't have access to those types of plug-ins, you can "worldize" by putting the dialog through a real speaker (a guitar amp would be fine), or you need to use an EQ and perhaps a distortion plug-in (and maybe even some compression) to create the PA sound. Then you need to use a reverb to recreate the space in which the PA is situated.

I've played around with some of the audiosuite plugins but I'm not getting my desired effect

BTW, don't use Audio Suite. Put the plug-ins on the channel, or, better yet, an Aux channel, and send the track to the Aux. That way you can loop the lines and manipulate the plug-ins in real time as the lines are playing. If you are running low on processing power or Aux send/returns you can print (record onto another track) the result of all your processing.

Performance is all. No plug-in is going to change the performance, only the tone, perspective and, in some cases, the formant.

For example, lots of people ask how to get that "classic" voice over tone - usually meaning the voice of Don LaFontaine. Sorry, it can't be done; you need to have that voice to begin with. Yes, there are techniques that will get you closer - mic selection, mic technique, line delivery, and the like - but nothing will make you sound like Don LaFontaine.

Now, if you are asking for the PA sound, again, you should start from scratch. Most stage mics used for that purpose are dynamics - the Shure SM-58 is a standard - and sound different than condenser mics. Then you need to deliver the lines as a stage announcer would with that mic, probably almost shouting. And you should "eat" the mic; deliver the lines with your lips almost touching the wind-screen. Then you put the resulting recording through an IR reverb like AltiVerb and/or a processor like SpeakerPhone, which have various speaker emulations and "real world" ambient environments. If you don't have access to those types of plug-ins, you can "worldize" by putting the dialog through a real speaker (a guitar amp would be fine), or you need to use an EQ and perhaps a distortion plug-in (and maybe even some compression) to create the PA sound. Then you need to use a reverb to recreate the space in which the PA is situated.

Okay, thanks!! I don't have any external microphones, just using the audio from the camera and hope to clean it up nicely in post (I will invest in a mic sooner or later :yes: ). In the meantime I should probably just find someone with a announcer type voice :lol:

BTW, don't use Audio Suite. Put the plug-ins on the channel, or, better yet, an Aux channel, and send the track to the Aux. That way you can loop the lines and manipulate the plug-ins in real time as the lines are playing. If you are running low on processing power or Aux send/returns you can print (record onto another track) the result of all your processing.

Good to know!! Will do, thanks :yes:

I don't have any external microphones, just using the audio from the camera and hope to clean it up nicely in post

This is known as polishing a turd.

I will invest in a mic sooner or later

Good mics are essential to getting good sound. Don't get one "sooner or later," get one ASAP! You can get some decent entry level mics at a fairly reasonable cost. You're not going to get great mics, but they do a decent job for the price.

The Avantone CK-1 is a passable hypercardioid for $150; it can be used for production and post. It will need phantom power.

The Audio Technica AT875 ($160) and Rode NTG-1 ($250) are decent shotgun mics; they will also require phantom power and can be used for both production and audio post.

For LDC (Large Diaphragm Condenser) mics the Blue Snowball is surprisingly good at under $70, the Audio Technica AT2020 is okay it $75; both are available in USB versions for a few more dollars. The Rode NT-1 isn't bad at all at about $200.

And almost every mic kit should have either the Shure SM-58 or SM-57.

These are all budget mics I've used at one point or another; there are many, many other choices out there that are probably just as good.

Then, of course, you'll need a mic stand or two, a pop screen and cables.

Last edited:
Back