Pro Super 8mm

Kodak will be releasing a new hybrid super 8mm camera that will shoot the classic cartridge with professional camera negative film. Some people are feeling backlash from Digital because it is considered lazy, what you see is what you get. With film you need skills to get the proper exposure etc.

Would you shoot a film partially or in full on Super 8mm?

Kodak is including with the cost of a 50 ft roll of film: processing and a digital transfer of the film on DVD or USB drive so you can do digital editing. I believe they will put your digital file in the cloud as well as soon as it is done.

Right now, without that camera, a filmmaker can shoot professional color negative
film in super 8 cartridges. To answer your question; yes, I would (and have) shoot
a film on super 8 film. You can get it processed and transferred at several labs in
the US.

This camera was announced in January of this year and I am impatiently waiting for
its release so I can give it a test run. I'm on the pre-order list but haven't hear a thing
in a while.

I would shoot film. I was recently on a shoot (vfx supervisor) and it was a bit of a learning curve for everyone. Great fun and nerve racking. Admittedly it was super 16mm but I do love the look of 8mm as well.

I'd love to give it a shot. I have this idea for a series of parodies of old, low budget genre movies, and it would be cool to shoot on 8mm. Plus I think I might have a job soon, so I expect to spend all of my money on movies.

Back