marketing Printing Theatrical Film Posters

Hi there,

I need to get some theatrical posters of my film made and I'm having trouble finding out what the standard specs are for this.

I've contacted some companies (it also seems difficult to find good places!) and the options seem to be digital, satin or silk (mainly 200gsm).

I'm wondering what the standard is for theatrical posters (if there is one)? Satin is apparently less glossy than silk, though appears to be much cheaper; I'm not sure if the extra expense is worth it.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

What company are you using to print these? And at what cost per poster?

There are several services that can do this for fairly cheap, and you could easily make posters any size you like depending on what you are using it for.

If you look it up here: https://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/poster-sizes.html

That might help.

I always use canva.com and their size for posters is 18x24 in

Thanks.

The designs have already been done at standard One Sheet and Quad sizes.

I'm just getting quotes at the moment...

One company (who I had recommended, but I don't think they generally do film posters) prints on silk, but can't do the exact size, quoted around $750 for two posters (fluctuations in quantity barely mattered).

Another can do the exact size, on satin, at around $9 per poster.

Both are 200gsm.

I only need about 10 of each made, so the latter would result in a pretty huge saving. Just not sure if satin is good enough.

Well, what type of film is this for and where are these posters going?

Are they going outdoors/indoors? Festival screenings? Local screenings? Crowdfunding backers?

If your film is an unknown, I'd say go cheaper. If you are distributed into professional outlets, maybe go the other way?

Are you mixing up terms here? Satin is a paper finish. Like gloss. Printing on silk is like what you would pay someone to print on scarves (clothing)... or if a poster, something to hang in your man cave. There is also silk-screening, and the screen is made of silk. But movie posters are not silk they are paper.

Well, what type of film is this for and where are these posters going?

Are they going outdoors/indoors? Festival screenings? Local screenings? Crowdfunding backers?

If your film is an unknown, I'd say go cheaper. If you are distributed into professional outlets, maybe go the other way?

Thanks.

They're for crowdfunded backers and I also want to sell them through the film's shop (I have a distributor for the film but retained the right to sell directly to customers). Just want to ensure they look like pro film posters (the other products, like DVDs and BDs were made to typical pro standards).

Are you mixing up terms here? Satin is a paper finish. Like gloss. Printing on silk is like what you would pay someone to print on scarves (clothing)... or if a poster, something to hang in your man cave. There is also silk-screening, and the screen is made of silk. But movie posters are not silk they are paper.

Thanks.

The paper type quoted was "White Silk"

Okay yeah that's a type of paper but you don't need that!

Most movie posters are printed on gloss paper. They are not as shiny as a photograph because it is different paper. Consider it "semi-gloss" if you will. Usually the other choice is matte and you would not normally choose this.

Okay yeah that's a type of paper but you don't need that!

Most movie posters are printed on gloss paper. They are not as shiny as a photograph because it is different paper. Consider it "semi-gloss" if you will. Usually the other choice is matte and you would not normally choose this.

Great, thanks.

I'm guessing that satin should be the right choice then? One of the companies said that the difference between satin and silk is the amount of "sheen" -- silk has more sheen and is more expensive.

Last edited:
No! Silk paper is like what you would print fancy wedding invitations on. Satin is a term used for sheen but you better make sure you know what you're getting. Go with someone that does movie posters.

What these folks are saying is true.

You don't ever use silk for a film poster. If they are asking that, you may want to go with another printing service.

The only thing you need to think about is shine or no shine.

Great, thanks.

I'm guessing that satin should be the right choice then? One of the companies said that the difference between satin and silk is the amount of "sheen" -- silk has more sheen and is more expensive.

What it’s made of is less important than what’s on it. Just take the cheapest route for posters cause in the end what matters is whats been put on it.

He's in the UK so maybe this

Back