prepare to land!

Hello indietalker!

In 5 days i will be traveling to australia and jumping out of a plane to earn my foreign jump wings. I really want to take my T2i but im concerned that it wouldn't withstand the impact a paratrooper endures when hitting the ground. I will be jumping with a T-10D parachute. It's rate of decent is 22 to 24 feet per second or 15 to 16 miles per hour. my ruck sack will be hanging ten feet below just before impact.

this is my first hand account of a jump

http://youtu.be/vA4n2Bb-T-M

As you can see its pretty violent. I have a small pelican case for my 2 lenes but nothing for my camera body. I could pack my camera in the middle of my ruck surrounded by my clothes but it still makes me nervous.

So does anyone have any suggestions on how i could get my camera to the ground safely? shound i just leave it behind and use my Iphone and Kodak zi8?

It's pretty basic physics (though I don't pretend to have the math skills or knowledge to calculate it for you). But you need to find something that will absorb the impact of you camera when it hits the ground.

Remember Bill Nye doing that demonstration with the watermelon? He drops the watermelon on the floor. It breaks. Then he drops another watermelon from the same height but onto a paper bag filled with air. The paper bag crumbles but the watermelon is intact. In that case the bag of air was absorbing the energy from the impact of the watermelon, so the watermelon doesn't break.

Force = Mass x Acceleration. So once you determine the force you can find out what the impact will be and then find the appropriate material/design that will absorb it.

Back