Premiere Pro audio dilemma - effect takes a few seconds to work

Using the h4n with the NTG2 I get a fair bit of noise a lot on shoots. So to fix this I use the dehisser or dehummer or denoiser. One of them, I currently forget as I'm not at the computer.

So I apply the effect and adjust the parameters and stuff so the noise is removed / less obvious. Sounds good, all happy and stuff. So then I do an in program pre render thing (pressing enter...) then I export properly. Here is the issue. For any audio clip with the effect applied to it, for the first 1-3 seconds of it the audio lays the same as the original and then only after the 1-3 second point it goes to the effect I altered it to. So if I have a basic project with 3 audio files in it, there will be three occasions lasting a second or so where the noise begins prominent.

Does anyone have any experience with this? It's basically like the effect takes a few seconds to actually work, even in a fully rendered out file. For my last project to get around this I lengthened each audio clip to longer than I needed, export it all then trimmed off the awkward bits (first 1-3 seconds of every clip.... Which there were a lot). It's was for my 70 second film, it was a horrible way of editing, I do not want to be doing this with any longer projects

I can't imagine what it is, unless you have some preset making the effect start nowhere, then 'fade' into.

Do you see any keyframes appear when you add the effect?

If you can remember which effect it is, I can try it on my version of PP and see if it does the same to me

It sounds like a pre-buffering issue to me or some kind of problem with audio buffering. Have you got options for audio in the preferences such as "sample buffer" or anything with the word "buffer" in it?

It sounds like a delay compensation issue of some sort. NR processors are notorious for delay issues. Since you're on the clock just preprocess the clips and then do a serious problem solving session after your job is done.

I preprocess lots of stuff before I mix, especially noise reduction; I run out of processing power quickly since I run on a native system, and dealing with 50 or more tracks of varying delay compensations drives me crazy.

For a little bit of background. I am not currently working on a project where this is a high priority, but I will be in the near future and wanted to get it sorted out.

Ok Here is an example. For this I wasn't particularly trying to get rid of the noise, and previous examples are on a different hard drive. However I added the DeNoiser effect. Reduction is -20, offset is 10 for you Mike. I really only put it on that as it makes the most difference. so at about the 2.5-3 second mark you can hear the effect kick in. Before that it sounds the same as the original file.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzJZ76YfoEM&feature=youtu.be

I have never got such problem, mostly because I try to do the audio things in Audition. You can right-click on the clip and go to 'Edit Clip in Adobe Audition' and remove the noise in there. Or you can use any other software if you don't have Audition. Just export the clip as audio file such as mp3 and apply the effects. Then import it back in Premiere and replace with the original.

It does export wav

Pity dynamic link doesn't work through Audition like how After Effects does.

I'd prefer to go through Premiere. That's a lot of files to have to deal with. and I can't just export one big section of audio because the noise in each would be different.

Fixing the Premiere issue is my priority

I tested it on my version of Premiere Pro and it kinda did the same thing to me. Not 3 seconds worth, but about 1 and a half.

(I don't DeNoise with Premiere, so I'm lucky)

So perhaps it's a common thing on crappy computers? Unfortunately, I still work with a crappy little laptop that is sometimes detrimental to the editing process, is this true for you as well?

I wouldn't call my computer crappy. It's 64bit, 8gb ram, quad core, windows 7. I'ts certainly not a super computer, but I wouldn't call it crappy.

If it happens to you, even to a lesser extent, that is strange that the issue has not been resolved

Back