pre production for movie

I was wondering if you never have any video of your past works because your are going to use a DP what would you do for a kickstarter. get video from the dp?

also could you guys give a quick rundown and the process.

when you go to get actors you have to give them a script to see if they want the role.

I would like to know is the proper order in which you do this. sorry for the question some might think is dumb.

I was wondering if you never have any video of your past works because your are going to use a DP what would you do for a kickstarter. get video from the dp?

also could you guys give a quick rundown and the process.

when you go to get actors you have to give them a script to see if they want the role.

I would like to know is the proper order in which you do this. sorry for the question some might think is dumb.
Not a dumb question - just confusing. A comma or two and some
punctuation would help, but I think I can decipher what you're asking.

You want to put a video clip on your KickStarter page but you don't
have a DP to shoot it? Is that your question?

Yes. When you get actors you have to give them a script. They will
read it and decide if they want to be in the movie. I'm not clear
what order you are asking about. Are you asking if you give a script
to actors before you audition?

1. people say you need to show some of your past work on a kickstart video. is that something you need. also would just a video explaining the movie and your intentions be fine?

2. if you are making a kickstart program, you need money. how do you get your actors who will be paid to be on the video and take some of their valuable time if you dont raise enough for the kickstart program or to pay actors.

3. can a good DP also do all your editing? also will you need to get your DP assistants if he doesnt have a crew?

1. people say you need to show some of your past work on a kickstart video. is that something you need. also would just a video explaining the movie and your intentions be fine?
If you have previous work to show, that helps. If you have never
made a movie then you have no previous work so can ignore the
people who say you need to show some of your past work.

You might not even need a video explaining the movie and your
intentions - maybe just the written word would be fine. But if
want to put up a video explaining the movie and your intentions
you should give it a try.

2. if you are making a kickstart program, you need money. how do you get your actors who will be paid to be on the video and take some of their valuable time if you dont raise enough for the kickstart program or to pay actors.
You ask them. Almost all of us here have used - and continue to
use - actors who work for free. Of course it's always better to pay
actors and crew, but everyone knows that that isn't always possible.
So you ask people (actors and crew) to help you.

3. can a good DP also do all your editing? also will you need to get your DP assistants if he doesnt have a crew?
I know many DP's who do not edit at all. I also know many who are
good editors. It depends on the person, doesn't it?

Some DP's have a crew they will hire. If you are paying then you
should hire the DP and they will hire their crew. If you are not
paying then you are asking the DP to do you a personal favor. It
might not be a good idea to then ask the DP to ask their usual crew
to do you the same favor. But the best thing to do is ask the DP. There
is no "one size fits all" answer.

so the thing to do is get your actors before and ask them to help promote it so that you can actually get things moving. I am also trying to figure out a budget also but dont want to hounds you guys too much.

Im not addressing your questions directly, but I see why you are asking the questions in the first place.

I might say you are trying to move too fast. Great, you want to do a big project...we all do. Best to start slower...build up your skills. When you know what to do...then you will be ready. I can suggest start w/ a short..go from there hone your skills, build your knowledge, network, network, network. Rinse & repeat.

I have no problem answering your questions. It just helps when I
understand what you are asking.

so the thing to do is get your actors before and ask them to help promote it so that you can actually get things moving.

No. You get the money first. Then you set the shooting dates. Then
you hire the actors and the crew. Actors do not help promote your
movie until after it's made. It's you who gets things moving buy raising
the money.

ok one more last thing. in movies sometimes there are two different things going on at once and they go back and forth to each scene. when you are writing that in a script to you show it with EXT> INT> going back and forth or do you write the full scene and edit the film by making it go back and forth from two scenes that are active.

something like seinfeld is famous for.

Back