Pre-production for a Feature in 3 weeks - Make it so!

I'm notorious for making things on the quick, well fast (I know people who can go faster), so when I decided to make my Feature it was a spur of the moment kind of thing.

Two weeks have past and so far here are the pre-prodution results (1 week to go):
- Script 80% done
- Cottage where we are filming over 4 days booked
- Cast of over 10 actors acquired (50% are also experienced crew - that handy/clever), a few minor characters left to cast.
- Major Props and Costumes purchased (total is ~$40, thank you thrift stores and fabricland sales!)
- Film permits requested

The following week
- Finalize the Script
- Cast Read-through and Cottage Logistics Planning (carpool already sorted)
- Collect Film permits

Issues encountered
- Cottage selection was slower than expected, mainly some places got back very slowly and did not answer all the questions sent the first time.
- Casting was partially limited to actor's availability and not all of them have cars (nor did I want everyone to drive up as there is not that much parking, despite the cottages being remote), so a Complex Carpool plan had to be made.

Advantages to the Way we did things
- Choosing a fixed shoot date then looking for cast, although this limited our choices somewhat, there is such a huge pool of local talent we actually ended up having more interest than spots so choosing who was not difficult. We will likely use this method more in the future.
- I often Cast then write the script, this time I co-wrote it with Glen Sloan (professional screenwriter) where by I gave him the story and snippets of scenes and we worked together on the plan of the movie and he sat down and did the heavy typing. What this allowed us to do was write the script to match the actor availability to ensure I could shoot the movie up at the cottage without having scenes where two actors who are to at the cabin at the same time or limited time did not occur. That will hopefully help things out.

Conclusion:
Pre-production is in the bag, production is around the corner, with luck it will go as smoothly or better. I'm really looking forward to those two weeks!

Keep us posted. Hope things go well. :)

Can you give us some hints as to what the movie is about, or even the genre?

What's your end market? Self-sales on web, youtube, festivals, other?

Since the cottage is booked for 4 days, that's a hard deadline. Hope it goes well there and for the rest of the shoot.

Last edited:
Have distribution venue(s) already figured out?

20120325FilmitAndTheyWillCome.png

You know I wish you the best of all possible luck with project from begging til end a deacde later, right?

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Story is a Dark Comedy Thriller about a newly wed couple and double booked cottage, and how they deal with the extra guests.

It will likely go to Festivals, a local screening, then self-sales (Vimeo digital rental + DVDs/Blu-rays) if I can score a distributor that would be cool too.

Mainly I'm hoping this movie will allow me to attract talent, crew, resources, and funding for the next one.

Last edited:
Does remote cottage have adequate plumbing facilities for so many people? Also, don't forget to plan out your food preps, etc!

Good luck! Sounds like it's gonna be a hectic time. Can't wait for updates. :cool:

Cottage is sized for 12 people, and we are having the logistics meeting on Monday to cover food etc.

Updates will likely be via my website or the film's Facebook page as they will go though my iPhone.

Script read through went well, also got most (1 actor may be able to stay up an extra day) actors to confirm their dates up at the cottage and with the exception of 1 boo boo, only a bit of polishing is required to finalize.

The script Boo Boo: In the script one character is killed off about 3/4 the way through and another lives, it was suppose to be visa versa as the one that lives can't stay on Monday and the one who died can. So we are rewriting some of the lines etc to change from one character to another, should be done tomorrow then I'll finalize the script and shot lists (again mainly filming sequentially as possible for ease of changes and matching weather, if it rains it rains, we shot that day's worth in the rain).

Some of my film permits have also been granted for the long weekend, waiting on City Hall and another Municipal Building, the film office has indicated they will likely allow filming on labour day when they are close to the public but still have security on hand (sweet!).

IndiePaul, here you go:

FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ragnaroks-Cabin/432306510212244
My Page: www.HPFP.ca (may do the daily production blog there and disseminate to twitter etc)
Indigogo Page (if you're feeling generous): http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ragnarok-s-cabin-horror-film/x/11473

Last edited:
Best thing about that on-location shooting is that you can get things done.

One thing I have noticed when shooting outside is that a lot of time goes to nothing, going to the scene, setting up camera etc.

Back