• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Power Up VFX test

I built this prop and did a quick VFX test last night.

Curious how it feels to you all..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeYMFzVG0_g

I think it came out just as I had envisioned, to really sell the effect I would follow up with a much tigter close up on the actor and have a rack focus between the home movie playing on the "screen" and the actors face.

That said, something is still not quit right with the shot. I think Ill try crushing the blacks on the home video on the screen to get more "transparent" areas on the screen, maybe change the mask shape a bit too..

Thanks

Dude looks sweet.

One thing that might help sell it a little more is to see light from the screen interacting with his face and maybe the environment. Practical with faders? You could also roto/mask some highlights in there in after effects.

The prop itself looks great.

Looks really good. I just can't figure out why it takes up that particular portion of the screen. Maybe at some point, you do some Minority-Report-esque manipulation of the location of the projection on the screen? You know, move it around, shrink it, expand it, like it's on a touch-screen?

thanks guys..
CF, its just a test. There is no story behind this bit, the REAL deal is filming in two weeks!

EDIT:
here, I just uploaded a variation.. bigger movie playback.. and a few subtle changes to screen modes etc..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UffsZdm9qiM

Last edited:
Woh. I love it. I can hardly get over how cool it is to read something in someone's script here on IT and then see it brought to life on video like this. And it already seems to fit and to help create the atmosphere you seemed to be going for.

thanks richy, its exciting to see something from my own head on the screen.. I think thats the biggest rush of all.

I realized one thing that seems off.. the video playing back needs to be reversed... I think subconsciously I know that most folks are right handed, etc..

I would say that the reflection of the happy days scene in the mirror looks too dim to me.

As richy says, it sure is extremely interesting to see this work taking shape in real time. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Will you be your own DP on shooting day?

The effect looks very nice.
It will be interesting to see how you emotionalize your newest technical achievement.
Congratulations on pulling off this little SFX stunt. Bravo!

Last edited:
The effect looks very nice.
It will be interesting to see how you emotionalize your newest technical achievement.
Congratulations on pulling off this little SFX stunt. Bravo!

I'm developing this technique so I can capture the emotional reaction from the talent in an interesting way.
During the audition I had the candidates do exactly this, act in response to my feeding them what they were seeing on the screen. The winning candidate did not fit my original look, but sold me so well on the subtle emotions that I changed the look without batting an eye.

Since the effect it self is not that flashy, and not particularly new, I can really focus on the actors delivering the emotional content, Im very confident that she will deliver, Iv seen it already on the audition footage.

Back