POV Shot

Good morning...Directing a Short film in the next 6-8weeks....Its a Horror, and one of the shots I want to get, whether it works or not, is when the female lead is in bed, and the ghost begins to crawl up her bed, I want the POV shot to be were when she blinks, the ghost gets closer, blinks again, closer....so we don't actually see the ghost move itself.....does this make sense

basically im looking for film examples where this was done successfully or not, or if anyone any experience with doing something similar?

thank you

basically we script writers don't intend to mention those things.

i can give you and idea like,

keep the camera in shaking position as if the camera is the movement of ghost itself.
you know how ghost's head movement and shake happens while crawl.

It's nice ,you din't mention screen writers.
it's natural to see these kind of shots are taken and perfected with dicussion with camera man.

only immetured directors expect spoon feeding in script to help them achieve it.
you are exception.

you are very creative.

best of luck

basically we script writers don't intend to mention those things.

i can give you and idea like,

keep the camera in shaking position as if the camera is the movement of ghost itself.
you know how ghost's head movement and shake happens while crawl.

It's nice ,you din't mention screen writers.
it's natural to see these kind of shots are taken and perfected with dicussion with camera man.

only immetured directors expect spoon feeding in script to help them achieve it.
you are exception.

you are very creative.

best of luck

forgot to mention, I wrote the screenplay....yeah, definitely will consult with my cameraman, but, know each shot etc I want in the Short film...was having a nosy around youtube earlier for examples of POV shots, to see if there was anything similar...more just passing time at home at the minute....appreciate the feedback

One of the best things on YouTube is actually an excellent example of what you're looking for. Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzzjgBAaWZw

Love that one almost as much as the sneezing baby panda!

In all seriousness, I'm sure I've seen something similar to this before. Can't think where. I may be thinking of something where the lights flicker on and off, as the ghost/monster creeps closer. Maybe "Darkness Falls"?

Don't know what you had planned, but you could try a few things instead of just cutting to black... Perhaps you can see the girls hands holding up the duvet. Each time she lowers it the ghost moves closer.

Whatever you go with, I'd perhaps try something where the ghost moves closer, then closer, then closer still. Then, next time, it's gone. She covers her eyes and sighs in relief. Then, when she looks again, it's right there, right in front of her face! Could work for a cool jump scare with the right musical stab!

One of the best things on YouTube is actually an excellent example of what you're looking for. Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzzjgBAaWZw

Love that one almost as much as the sneezing baby panda!

In all seriousness, I'm sure I've seen something similar to this before. Can't think where. I may be thinking of something where the lights flicker on and off, as the ghost/monster creeps closer. Maybe "Darkness Falls"?

Don't know what you had planned, but you could try a few things instead of just cutting to black... Perhaps you can see the girls hands holding up the duvet. Each time she lowers it the ghost moves closer.

Whatever you go with, I'd perhaps try something where the ghost moves closer, then closer, then closer still. Then, next time, it's gone. She covers her eyes and sighs in relief. Then, when she looks again, it's right there, right in front of her face! Could work for a cool jump scare with the right musical stab!

hahaha I love that kitten video....easiest option would be using the girls hands to cover the camera, then remove them, then cover the camera etc...but, might try and spilt the screen, and have the camera 'blink'...either way, im looking at experiementing or trying methods too see what works and what doesn't....thanks for uploading that video, forgot all about it

What about Blink (from Doctor Who Season 3)? I'm not sure if they used any POV shots, but they did the "creature moves when you're not looking at it" effect very well.

Consider using a method that Spielberg used in Jaws. See if you can grab yourself a copy of a video called "Inside Jaws". A fan did a version of Jaws and inserted a lot of behind the scenes footage/interviews etc. It's a better watch than I'm making it sound.

It may help you decide on a strategy with the suspense/monster part of your film.

Consider using a method that Spielberg used in Jaws. See if you can grab yourself a copy of a video called "Inside Jaws". A fan did a version of Jaws and inserted a lot of behind the scenes footage/interviews etc. It's a better watch than I'm making it sound.

It may help you decide on a strategy with the suspense/monster part of your film.

thanks for the advice....going to search for 'Inside Jaws' when I get off work...thanks

The thing with blinking; you do it extremely quickly. It takes, what? 1/10th of a second? That’s why I think it would be better to have her hiding under the sheets or behind her own hands.

If you want to go with the blinking effect, you could use masks to effectively have letterboxes top and bottom close in to the middle of the screen. That would imply blinking. I don’t think you should stay in the POV either; I’d cut to close-ups of her blinking/hiding.

Play with it. Best of luck.

The thing with blinking; you do it extremely quickly. It takes, what? 1/10th of a second? That’s why I think it would be better to have her hiding under the sheets or behind her own hands.

If you want to go with the blinking effect, you could use masks to effectively have letterboxes top and bottom close in to the middle of the screen. That would imply blinking. I don’t think you should stay in the POV either; I’d cut to close-ups of her blinking/hiding.

Play with it. Best of luck.

thanks for the advice

Back