Possible Legal Problems While Filming and Interviewing

I'm going to be start working on a documentary with a friend about a Catholic football team. I don't want any legal surprises and problems. So what are some of the most common and how to avoid them?

We possibly will be using game footage. Since the school is closed who would own the film that was shoot before? Would it be a Catholic diocese or would I be ok asking coaches for footage they have kept over the years?

We will be interview people, so do I need them to sign anything so I can interview them? If so where can I find a standard form and change it to fit my needs?

Do I need to do anything to use the schools name in the film?

Do I need to have a release form signed to film on the old grounds? The park district owns the fields now.

If there are any other problems I am missing please let me know.

You could maybe get away with not doing this stuff, but what you should do is:

Get a release for anyone who's face is visible on tape.
Get a release from the school to use their logo/show uniforms.
Get a release from the park district to film on the field.

You can find generic versions with a quick google search. Search for 'talent release form,' 'likeness release form' and 'location release form.'

Post signs around the areas you are filming announcing that cameras will be recording and that their presence is acknowledging permission to appear on camera.

filming2.jpg

I agree 100% with Dreadylocks. You will definitely need signed releases from all of the above! You are also likely going to need to obtain a permit to film at the park since it is city owned. Also, the Catholic diocese can be very tough on releases, especially when it comes to documentaries. You may want to speak to an attorney about what would be considered fair use if they give you a difficult time.

Thanks guys for replaying so quick. I looked up the forms and found so many. Thank you.

I was hoping that it would be a little easier since it would have nothing to do with all their resent problems. I want it to be all about the football team, it just happens to be a Catholic high school.

Do they even own the rights to the school any more since it is closed and the building is domlished?

Do I even really worry about this since, as of now, I don't plan to show it at any film festivals?

Get a half-hour consultation with an entertainment lawyer, and, if he doesn't know anything about copyright, get another consultation with a copyright lawyer. You'll have to pay for their time, but it will be worth it.

As for the other legal issues, here are some to consider.

1) What is the legal structure of your business? Is it a corporation or is it just you with a business licence? If it's just you, that would not be an issue, but a company can be easier to do business with.

2) Have you got insurance? You will need insurance in case something happens, like an accident. You may also be required to register for Workers Compensation, and you should look into that. And speak to an insurance agent who specializes in films.

3) Have you got permits from the city's and state's film commission? If not, talk to them. You should, of course, talk to city hall about business permits.

4) Have you set up an accounting structure? This is not a legal issue, but you should get a professional accountant to set one up for you, and then have a bookkeeper (or two) handle your checks and receipts - make sure, however, that the person signing the checks is someone you can trust.

5) As for paying your staff, you have to know if they are employees or independent contractors. If they're employees, you will have to arrange deductions. Furthermore, under the employment legislation, they will be entitled to one hour lunch as well as a 15 minute break every few hours - you would want that anyway.

6) You should also put everything in writing with your people, so there's no misunderstanding, and, yes, you should get an entertainment lawyer to draft those contracts for you.

Hope this helps.

Back