• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Portable Living - 5 minute short

Hey guys! My first post and my first time here. This is a little project me and my buddy Ian started - we plan on capturing and releasing a short film every month. Here is our sophomore attempt. Opinions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0KBgzV4P044&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0KBgzV4P044&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Not much of a story, tbh. Nothing happened.

Good luck with the film-per-month plan. You'll get a tonne of experience like that. I'm fairly local, if you ever need a hand. :)

Hey There!

Fantastic idea, making a short a month - can definitely shape up to be a very worthwhile experience!

Watched your first short, here: Some good timing in the beginning - although the setup is the substance, which may sit better with some than with others. What did you use to film?. You do a good job of showing us who, but it'd be nice to get a little bit better idea of why we're watching. I feel like if you had managed to get us a little bit more of a sense of hyperreality, it may feel a bit more complete. Regardless, definitely an interesting experiment, and you have some fun in here. How did you not get dinged by youtube for music copyright? Unless you got permission... In which case, well done!

@zensteve sounds great bud thanks for checking it out!

@milkandcookie First off, thank you so much for taking your time and giving us your true opinion on it - means a tremendous amount. Secondly, I agree with the explanation of the why in the formula, I think it may have been too late in the movie or maybe even too subtle - I think what we were getting at was showing a situation where most will initially view as a lonely and/or sad individual/lifestyle, and showing his happiness while being detached from distractions of every day life. Either way, great point and we'll definitely be sure to answer that question in our upcoming films. And about the music! We actually got banned from Germany just moments after we posted because of copyright violations.

I thought it was very cool. Liked the humor in it and the story of the life of a guy in one day. Loved the music choice at the end but maybe do your own music?

Here is what bothered me:

Should have used a tripod for the clock scene and coffee brewing scene because there was camera shake.
Where did the electricity come from? I missed it.

I thought it was very cool. Liked the humor in it and the story of the life of a guy in one day. Loved the music choice at the end but maybe do your own music?

Here is what bothered me:

Should have used a tripod for the clock scene and coffee brewing scene because there was camera shake.
Where did the electricity come from? I missed it.

Thanks for your feedback Libby! We'll definitely take your opinion into consideration for our next film. Also, the electricity was not explained in the movie because we were going for a sort of quirky atmosphere. Behind the camera was a generator however.

Back