Popped on the DP-6 today

I found a free shipping plus 5% off coupon that expired in a few days so went ahead and bit the bullet on the smallhd DP-6. It just seems (after hours or internet research) to be the only "good" monitor for the 5DMK2. Monitor, hood, hot shoe mount, LPE-6 battery plate and an 18" mini HDMI to HDMI cable $979 total.

I'll update this thread with reviews next week. The coupon code expires in 8 days (I think I can find it again) if anybody else was thinking about a smallhd purchase.

Some first impressions.

It's really small and weighs virtually nothing. I probably won't get an arm for a while because I have zero concerns about it being attached to the hot shoe. It weighs less than a lot of strobes.

I finally was able to watch some tutorials and dig into the menus a bit last night. It comes with a preset for Canon. Use that preset, amnd the image fills the entire 5.6" screen in perfect aspect ratio.

It has a focus assist, but haven't tried it yet. The focus assist on the camera is so easy to use, doubt I'll use that function much.

The newest firmaware has two variations of false color. One is HML where it uses all colors to show you the complete exposure picture of the image. It now also has an HL mode, there blown out areas are yellow and Red, and underexposed areas are blue and purple. Properly exposed areas are black and white. It's pretty nifty.

You said you use focus assist on the camera is why I asked. I know my t2i focus assist functions don't work while recording, do they work while recording on the 5D?

AH! Gotcha.
I haven't used the focus assist on the monitor. I will show it to my DP and he might like it.

You are right, camera FA doesn't work when recording. I use a follow focus Wheat, so I use the focus assist while not recording to mark the focus points on the FF wheel, then use those while actually recording.

Can you set the level it shows? I set my zebras to 85 and use it to show correct light skin tone exposure.

85 sounds a little hot for that, but there's more than one way to row a boat.

I'm loving the false color so much I've set zebra to 95 and use it as a quick overexposure alarm. Now I'm spoiled.

Can you set the level it shows? I set my zebras to 85 and use it to show correct light skin tone exposure.

Sort of.
There are two types. the HL (high/Low) only colors areas that are over or under exposed. The HML (high/medium/low) is like a color weather radar where an orange pink color is in the middle or "perfect" exposure. It shows every level of exposure from a red blown out highlight to a purple underexposed shadow, with the colors in between showing all the scale between those. I am pretty sure those levels are configurable as well.

Here is Phillip Bloom comparing it to the Marshall. He talks about the false color. It has histogram as well.

http://philipbloom.net/2010/10/18/trying-out-the-new-marshall-5-lcd-monitor/

Back