• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Please help me with my storytelling

Hi group,

I'm writing a screenplay for my next home-made li'l movie, in the surreal comedy style, and I'm pretty satisfied with the story and equally confident in my ability to write appropriate dialogue, but I'm having trouble figuring out the most effective way of organizing the following scenes, which constitute the first part of my movie.

The scenes:

1:
A man in black introduces himself to a confused-looking girl as Death, and informs her that she is in Heaven. He tells her that no matter what religion she has followed on Earth - christianity, Islam, atheism, etc. - everybody all ends up here. Heaven has had the monopoly on souls for generations - the different religions are just soul traps for the confused mortals, who don't realize the true nature of the afterlife. Furthermore, he explains there used to be loads of angels in Heaven, but they've all left to some other planet to start their own kookie hippie commune religion. The only angel left in Heaven is introduced as a man dressed in white - Azmo - whom the others left behind because of his obnoxious spoiled-kid attitude. Therefore, Death finally explains, he is trying to recruit a few new angels from the recently-deceased. The girl, looking as confused as ever, hasn't understood a word of it. Death sighs at Azmo - "This ain't gonna work. We're never gonna break this memory thing."

[Note: This heavy load of exposition, if it stays in this form, would be peppered with filmed sequences illustrating all this, making Death's speech more of a narration than a monologue]

2. Back on Earth, a young goth chick named Mercedes is having a fight with her parents and decides to shock them by signing a contract with a fringe god called Phug. She sends off the signed contract in the mail.

3. Phug - who turns out to be an actual alternative god, and not just a false religion started by Heaven, recieves the letter and is overjoyed and overcome with megalomania by the prospect of his first soul in centuries. He sends his two Emotion Demons, Irvul and Urvil, off to make sure Mercedes dies before she changes her mind. (Phug himself can't go, on account on him being a small dish of green liquid.)

4. Death receives the phone call from God, telling him about Mercedes and how he'd better get that soul gathered himself or there'll be Hell to pay. Death decides to pay Mercedes a visit to convince her to sign her soul back to Christianity, but Mercedes thinks her parents sent him to lure her back, and she runs away.

5. Death is now forced to use his only option - he must call Mercedes directly up to heaven using the power of an angel. Unfortunately, Azmo is the only angel left in Heaven, and he is less than cooperative, so he refuses, throwing a tantrum when he's not allowed to play video games.

6. Irvul and Urvil track Mercedes down and try to make her die a natural death. Naturally, Mercedes is pretty freaked by all this, gets in a car and races away as fast as she can.

7. Here we see our final player in this drama, a man named Lenny Finkelstein, who is introduced shortly before being hit and killed by Mercedes' car.

8. Death gets paged about this new death just as he's giving up trying to reason with Azmo. He appears in front of the corpse and sees to his astonishment, that Mercedes is the killer! He remembers The Haunting Clause - that the spirit of a deceased man may seek revenge on his killer by gathering her immortal soul! Death now has an option!

9. Returning to Azmo, Death tells him that there is a new option. Azmo will have to help Lenny in this quest ("just pretend it's a video game and Lenny's, I dunno, Super Mario") because Lenny has no memory span at all. This needs to be explained (this is where I'm truly having problems) - back in the Olden Days, when the souls of mortals was a competitive market, some Gods started offering incentives to followers in return for their soul. First, it was free deoderant, but soon Gods came up with offering 100 years of extra life after death. Things escalated naturally, until Eternal Life became the one thing that drove all other gods out of the market. The problem was, mortals weren't cut out for eternal life and went completely insane with boredom after just a few thousand years in Heaven. Therefore, in order to keep the peace without breaching contract, it was agreed that after death, your soul lived on forever, but all short-term memory was erased. Therefore, people are walking around in Heaven with the attention spans of goldfish and enjoying their vapid little lives.

Now, the stage is set[finally]: an obnoxious angel and a soul with no memory are trying to reach a very confused young girl before the Emotion Demons do.

Anyway, first of all, THANKS for reading all that, it really is long on paper :) and second, if you have any narrative ideas for this, I would truly appreciate it and thank you in the credits :)

Goja

Wow very complex.

You might want to read Neil Gaiman's Sandman sereis before pursuing all your ideas...they arn't too similar, but they are in the process of making a Sandman movie, and Neil Gaiman has a horde of fans who might be upset if some of your ideas are too "similar". I'm sure your ideas are unintentionally close (after all when making movies about the personification of Death some ideas are bound to come up again) but the audience usually can't get over the fact if something is too close, especially if they are a fan.

Anyways Good-luck, sounds very cool.

PaCKT said:
Wow very complex.

You might want to read Neil Gaiman's Sandman sereis before pursuing all your ideas...they arn't too similar, but they are in the process of making a Sandman movie, and Neil Gaiman has a horde of fans who might be upset if some of your ideas are too "similar". I'm sure your ideas are unintentionally close (after all when making movies about the personification of Death some ideas are bound to come up again) but the audience usually can't get over the fact if something is too close, especially if they are a fan.

Anyways Good-luck, sounds very cool.

Thanks. Looking quickly as a Gaiman's Sandman FAQ page, it seems to me that the tone of my project is radically different from Sandman. Sandman seems to have a serious manga-feel to it, which is completely at odds with my surrealist, abstract, tounge-in-cheek Douglas-Adams version of telling this story.

Hehe I would highly suggest reading them all if you ever get into production.

Neil Gaiman is probably the strongest author of Surrealism and Abstractism today, especially in the subjects of Heaven, Hell, Gods and Death.

I'm not so sure I would classify Sandman as manga.

I would highly recommend reading the series, too... particularly "The High Cost Of Living". :cool:

There are many "comic books" that are much more than they appear to be.

PaCKT said:
Hehe I would highly suggest reading them all if you ever get into production.

Neil Gaiman is probably the strongest author of Surrealism and Abstractism today, especially in the subjects of Heaven, Hell, Gods and Death.

OK, I'll take a look. :) I don't want to be ripping off somebody without even knowing it. After looking around reader reviews on Amazon, however, it still strikes me that my tone and Gaiman's tone are very much different. Even though the Sandman comic books seem to have very different styles, I don't really see the kitschy-corny "we-all-know-this-is-silly" Monty Pythony style which I'm going for with this project. Perhaps I'm wrong, or maybe you could direct me to a specific tale to read to put me in my place. (Before you wrote, I'd never even heard of Sandman. Yeah, I know. Philistine, ain't I?)

Zensteve said:
There are many "comic books" that are much more than they appear to be.

I learned that after reading Art Spiegelman's "Maus". Sadly, I've also tried to read more than my share of graphic novels that were nothing more than pretentious crap. It's very hit and miss, I think. But if you guys recommend Sandman, I'll read it! I'm certainly not above it. I based my manga-comparison on a FAQ, where the questions just seemed to suggest "manga" to me. I whole-heartedly admit that it was ill-informed.

Back