• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Please Critique some Frame Grabs from upcoming short film

Judging by the pictures alone the look is absolutely beautiful.

The problem with screen grabs is they are like the girls on Facebook. They are always gorgeous but once the full 'thing' comes out - boring and not as pretty.

Not saying it's the same with you but if you post a full scene it would be better I guess.

Stunning images. Lovely tone and superb quality.

Id like to see some tighter close ups, it all feels like I'm "outside" whats happening, not really apart of any of it. On the close that you do have that are tight, they eye line could be closer to the camera. but really, dont listen to me, im still finding my way in this..

Id love to know more technical specs. Particularity lighting setups inside the cabin.. did you meter it, or just set it by eye? Camera specs etc..

Judging by the pictures alone the look is absolutely beautiful.

The problem with screen grabs is they are like the girls on Facebook. They are always gorgeous but once the full 'thing' comes out - boring and not as pretty.

Not saying it's the same with you but if you post a full scene it would be better I guess.

He's right - They do look stunning. But, let's see how they work as a whole - because separate entities need to be as beautiful separate as together.

Yep, stunning indeed.

Will be interesting to see the features/shorts that go with these images.

Thanks .. I definately take a look at it.. I'm planning to have the film finished till end october.
Right now I'm cutting a kind of showreel of the film because I have to present something for my masters degree in film.
The film is german. But will be subtitled english. is this a problem?

It never was for one of my favorite films: :) Just make sure the subtitles are good. The reason Pan's Labyrinth has such enjoyable subtitles was because Del Toro transcribed them himself, taking into account all of the things that get lost in direct translation and changing them to make sense English.

Ofelia-and-Faun.jpg

One thing that they are is absolutely beautiful to look at. I was quite stunned as I was expecting some amateur looking pics but they are excellant and I would love to see the finished piece.

It's not a problem if the film is good.. and the subtitles are well translated, clear, easy to read, don't whip by too fast, or try to cram too much text onto an individual cue..

English subs worked great for Das Experiment, and it was a MUCH better film than the American version... :yes:

Last edited:
good lord... beautiful beautiful images. come to Ghana and lets shoot my feature film. i own a black magic 4k.... you've done justice to the camera... your images look pretty stunning.

I personally love the stills but film making is not about someone else telling you they suck or they don't, you could do this or that, at the end of the day its about what you like and what makes it your style.

Every time I can I prefer to use Walmart mountable lights/under counter lights whenever I can and I have achieved amazing results with 16 dollars worth of lighting but the story needed that kind of lighting, some people might tell me that I'm doing things wrong or that i need Arri lights(i have them just don't used them as much. For me its about grabbing the cam, mounting it on a pocket dolly or tripod and boom lets record, I'm not doing million dollar movies so why should i spend the same or more time lighting? don't get me wrong I love lighting its my passion and that's why i am always experimenting with light sources.

Awesome Job btw!

... Every time I can I prefer to use Walmart mountable lights/under counter lights whenever I can and I have achieved amazing results with 16 dollars worth of lighting but the story needed that kind of lighting, some people might tell me that I'm doing things wrong or that i need Arri lights(i have them just don't used them as much. For me its about grabbing the cam, mounting it on a pocket dolly or tripod and boom lets record, I'm not doing million dollar movies so why should i spend the same or more time lighting? don't get me wrong I love lighting its my passion and that's why i am always experimenting with light sources.

Awesome Job btw!

I'm with you; I prefer keeping the camera rolling... You can use virtually any light (including natural lighting) and you can get amazing results if you plan it well. I shot in the desert at night once using the headlights of a couple of trucks (with gels and diffusers... ) and it didn't look bad at all.

Back