Pitching a script

Ok so lets say I write a script, and I want to pitch it to Hollywood. Could I go to studios and walk in and hand them my script? Or does it not work like that?

You get screenplay coverage for suggestions of story editing.
Rewrite, resubmit, rewrite, etc until you're "Done."
Then you peddle for an agent who will co-peddle with you to studios & producers.

The agents act as filters of the blatant trash.
If an agent wastes too much time of the studio/producers they will quit taking screenplay suggestions from them - therefore they have incentive to only provide "the best" content.

Agents often use coverage readers as filters for the same reason. Coverage readers have the same incentive to stamp "recommend" or "fail" on the screenplays they review.
If they recommend too much rubbish agents, thus $$, will quit them.

Filters.
Filters.
Filters.

Ok so lets say I write a script, and I want to pitch it to Hollywood. Could I go to studios and walk in and hand them my script? Or does it not work like that?
No you can't. But you can send a query letter to managers and agents. You will
need an agent or a manager to pitch a script at all the Hollywood studios.
I think ray was saying that, but I can never be sure - his posts confuse me.

"Hollywood" had different meanings to different people, so if you are not
asking about studios then you may not need an agent or a manager. Good,
well connected managers and agents are just as difficult to get as a pitch
meeting.

I think ray was saying that, but I can never be sure - his posts confuse me.

ditto: :lol:

To shed a touch more light on the process, as this is something I've been doing for over 10 years now...

Typically, neither the screenwriter nor his/her agent pitches directly to the studios. The agent (or manager, in my own case) pitches the material to production companies with studio deals. A "studio deal" means they have signed a "first look" agreement with one of the majors.

If a production company is interested in acquiring the material for possible development, the head producer then pitches it to a studio executive. At that point, the studio decides whether to option the material on the producer's behalf or pass on it. If they pass, the producer is then free to approach other studios.

As with anything else, there are probably exceptions. But I think it's pretty rare for screenwriters to go straight to a studio anymore. It's tough enough just to get considered by a production company if the material isn't "packaged" with one or more names.

My girlfriend said Denzel Washington would be perfect for a script I wrote, and I should just mail it to him to see if he'd be willing to do it on a shoestring budget, if he believed in the script that much. If only it were that easy :).

My girlfriend said Denzel Washington would be perfect for a script I wrote, and I should just mail it to him to see if he'd be willing to do it on a shoestring budget, if he believed in the script that much. If only it were that easy :).
Your online friends think you should answer their questions so that they can help you film Denzel Washington in the script you wrote!
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=319731#post319731

The only thing I will add is BEWARE of anyone -- and I mean ANY agent -- who charges a fee to solicit your script. There's a whole bunch of these characters who make a decent living taking just about anything and everything that comes their way. Sure they will put on a phony screening process "act" to make it appear as though they are being selective, then get back to you saying "Congratulations. Your script has been accepted. That'll be $800 please." The legitimate agents DO NOT charge a fee. And I know some people in this forum claim that there are legit agents who charge an up front fee. I completely disagree There is an undeniable CONFLICT OF INTEREST. They are bound to take on something that is not good enough because the money is sitting on the table. They will TAKE it!

I think that an important question is does anyone on here know anybody who has ever sold a screenplay or completed film through an agent/rep that charged them an upfront fee? If so, to whom and for how much?

Back