• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Pitching a script.

I haven't been into film-making for very long. I've thought about it for years, but I did not actually start until August. Like most of the people on this forum, I write, produce, light, direct, shoot, and edit my own movies. I've read a million articles about every which aspect of film-making, and am constantly asking questions about everything that pertains to the art. Even though I try to play a Jack-of-All-Trades, there is one aspect of film I absolutely adore. Writing the script. There is nothing more satisfying than completing the jigsaw that is your script. With that being said, if I were to ever strive for a career in film, I would go for writing.

Recently, I have come across a contact who is a production assistant for a local Television Studio. The studio airs original low-budget TV shows as a part of its regular programming. These are not shows that one would call "good". I constantly find myself saying "I've written/can write better." I'm sure most of us have had similar thoughts about the majority of the crap we see on TV. But now, I have a contact. A contact, who I am sure would not mind doing me a favor.

This is where the questions come in. Would it be safe for me to assume, that a production assistant can get my script to the right people? Is there anything I should know about pitching a script? Now that I do have a contact, is asking them to pitch my script to someone really the right way to go? Is there any other way I can utilize this rare opportunity?

I personally wouldn't let the production assistant pitch one of my stories. I'd rather they help me get the meeting with the right people (or at least the names) so I could schedule and pitch it myself.

And I'm with you. I'm studying and toying with all aspects, but my passion will always be the writing.

Can you tell your story in a few sentences or less and make it sound interesting?

Have to agree with VPTurner...

You'd be hard pressed to get someone else to pitch YOUR MATERIAL as well as you could...

Having said that, if you can boil your pitch down to a VERY CATCHY LOGLINE, then maybe having the production assistant pitch the logline would be enough to get you a meeting.

filmy

Thanks a bunch guys!

I honestly don't even know which of my scripts I want to pitch. I'm considering writing something completely new. Something I couldn't shoot myself. Something I really want to do.

Since you guys both mentioned having a catchy log-line/summary, I'm assuming that no one will even look at my script unless they're intrigued from the get go. This worries me. It's hard for me to pitch an idea to my crew -- not sure how I'm going to get the attention of T.V. execs.

Thanks for the suggestions guys :) I doubt that I'm going to utilize this contact any time soon. I'm going to be extra careful, and take my time with this. I don't want to blow what may be my only chance at getting a script to someone in the industry.

Since you guys both mentioned having a catchy log-line/summary, I'm assuming that no one will even look at my script unless they're intrigued from the get go. This worries me. It's hard for me to pitch an idea to my crew -- not sure how I'm going to get the attention of T.V. execs.

This is the downfall of many a good writer.

If you cannot pitch your script well you are going to have
a MUCH harder time getting people to read it.

Learn how to write a catchy log line and pitch well.

Have to agree with VPTurner...

You'd be hard pressed to get someone else to pitch YOUR MATERIAL as well as you could...

Having said that, if you can boil your pitch down to a VERY CATCHY LOGLINE, then maybe having the production assistant pitch the logline would be enough to get you a meeting.

filmy

Good thread. Good advices. I would think(?) that pitching a script, for a writer, would be a difficult thing to do. It seems like it would take a different type of mind, for the most part. I hope for a lot of practice doing it, though!
I'm a couple months away from needing two loglines. But even thinking about coming up with a VERY CATCHY LOGLINE scares the crap out of me. I'll have to re-read the logline thread ya`ll had here(?) somewhere.
Thought Rik was linking us to it but it was 'Becky's weightloss Blog' instead. I can take a hint!! Pass me the bacon... :D

:D
Margo

It's a tough reality check for writers. Writing the script is only about
half the work. We always breathe a huge sigh of relief when we finally
finish - only to be hit with the really difficult half of writing a script.

Selling it.

A story teller SHOULD be of the mind that telling your story is easy - no
matter what the form. I emphasize should because too many writers
cannot tell their story out loud. I know how hard it can be.

But it's a very important aspect of the screen writing process. Very often
on messageboards writers rant about how many bad movies get made.
One reason is that the writer pitched well - made the story seem
exciting and marketable and attractive to talent.

Producers are more likely to hire the person, than they are to buy
the script.

As filmy said, you might be able to get the meeting with an excellent
log line - even one pitched by a production assistant - but then YOU
have to sell the script.

Writing is the easy part.

The following should help, with credit to Karl Iglesias. His "Writing for Emotional Impact Master Class" is a must-have for any aspiring screenwriter.

(Title) is a (genre) about a (description of hero) who, after (inciting incident), wants to (outer goal) by (plan of action). This becomes increasingly difficult because (obstacles and complications).

Or...

(Title) is a (genre) about a (description of hero) who must (outer goal) or else (dire things will happen).

Examples:

(Rain Man) is a (drama) about a (slick, angry salesman) who, after ( his father dies), wants to (get his inheritence) by (manipulating his brother). This becomes increasingly difficult because (his brother is autistic).

(E.T. The Extra Terrestrial) is a (fantasy) about a (lonely boy who befriends a stranded alien, and) who must (help him get back home) or else (the alien will die).

The following should help, with credit to Karl Iglesias. His "Writing for Emotional Impact Master Class" is a must-have for any aspiring screenwriter.

(Title) is a (genre) about a (description of hero) who, after (inciting incident), wants to (outer goal) by (plan of action). This becomes increasingly difficult because (obstacles and complications).

Or...

(Title) is a (genre) about a (description of hero) who must (outer goal) or else (dire things will happen).

Examples:

(Rain Man) is a (drama) about a (slick, angry salesman) who, after ( his father dies), wants to (get his inheritence) by (manipulating his brother). This becomes increasingly difficult because (his brother is autistic).

(E.T. The Extra Terrestrial) is a (fantasy) about a (lonely boy who befriends a stranded alien, and) who must (help him get back home) or else (the alien will die).

That's exactly the stuff, Vp! Thanks! *copys and pastes into 'filmy' file* The examples will help me alot. I'll try to nerve-up to post one soon using said examples. BF and roomie went skiing. Nice... quiet.... house... to write in ALL WEEK!!

:D
Margo

I'll just add some thoughts on pitching - if you don't feel confident pitching your work or talking to people in an excited way... You may benefit from taking a sales job. I learned how to sell during a summer job in college, and later realize those skills have impacted my success in all other areas of life.

Selling Skills = Success (OK, at least 1 aspect of success.)

Back