Photoshop CS6 Tip for Grabbing Frames

So the beta of Photoshop CS6 is currently available for free. I wanted to create some business cards for my production company, since I'm gearing up to really start pre-production on my feature and I got free Moo business cards via Klout. Moo lets you specify different images for the backs of the cards, and I thought frames from my short would be perfect for that.

Now, for whatever reason, I can't seem to export frames properly from Premiere Pro. I always end up with the wrong aspect ratio and then when I stretch them, the quality degrades.

Enter Photoshop CS6. You can open an MP4 file directly in CS6, view the entire thing in a (very basic) timeline, and then copy and paste individual frames into a new document where you can tweak and save them. It literally takes seconds to find and grab each frame. Way easier and faster than doing it in Premiere Pro.

Just wanted to share the tip with everyone else. I had completely dismissed CS6's video editing capabilities (way too basic for anything I'm doing), but I'm glad I came across this! Makes it easy to grab frames for whatever you need.

I always end up with the wrong aspect ratio and then when I stretch them, the quality degrades.

Sounds like you're trying to view 0.9 pixels in a 1.0 (square pixel) environment.

You can fix this by:

View >> Pixel Aspect Ratio >> whatever

This allows you to edit in Photoshop and zip it right back to Premiere without having to actually change pixel aspect ratios. (Just how you view it as)

Sounds a bit more streamlined now, though, in #6 :cool:

So the beta of Photoshop CS6 is currently available for free. I wanted to create some business cards for my production company, since I'm gearing up to really start pre-production on my feature and I got free Moo business cards via Klout. Moo lets you specify different images for the backs of the cards, and I thought frames from my short would be perfect for that.

Now, for whatever reason, I can't seem to export frames properly from Premiere Pro. I always end up with the wrong aspect ratio and then when I stretch them, the quality degrades.

Enter Photoshop CS6. You can open an MP4 file directly in CS6, view the entire thing in a (very basic) timeline, and then copy and paste individual frames into a new document where you can tweak and save them. It literally takes seconds to find and grab each frame. Way easier and faster than doing it in Premiere Pro.

Just wanted to share the tip with everyone else. I had completely dismissed CS6's video editing capabilities (way too basic for anything I'm doing), but I'm glad I came across this! Makes it easy to grab frames for whatever you need.

Export the video to PNG files....lossless

Back