Permits for country roads

Hello all,

I'm in the process of pre production of a short film and I have a scene that takes place in a ditch out in the country. the whole scene takes place in the ditch not on the road (for traffic reasons). Would I still have to get a permit from the city to shoot this scene?

Thanks for the help!

Hello all,

I'm in the process of pre production of a short film and I have a scene that takes place in a ditch out in the country. the whole scene takes place in the ditch not on the road (for traffic reasons). Would I still have to get a permit from the city to shoot this scene?

Thanks for the help!
The only place you can find the answer is within the city or
county. Since you don't mention the county it's impossible
for anyone to really help. Many cities and counties require
permits, many do not. Sometimes even if a permit is required
a filmmaker can get away with a quick shoot without it.

My advice is to see if your area has a Film Commission. If
your area doesn't then it's likely you don't need a permit. In
that case it might be wise to simply call the local police or sheriff
to inform them where you will be and when.

See if you can find a private road and ask the owner(s) if you can use it; this will avoid any possibility of trouble with the local authorities - as well as allowing for more "control" as it is not a public road.

I'm assuming that you are not shooting in Chicago, as Chicago does have a Film Commission.

http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/dca/provdrs/chicago_film_office.html
http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/dca/supp_info/permits.html

I'm shooting in mid Illinois. It is out on a country road. I was out there for about an hour this evening and two cars passed. I don't think traffic will be a problem.

Thanks for the response!

Personally, I would suggest flagging your intentions with the city/county, regardless of whether they have a specific Film Commission or not - I know locally (which is different from the US, obviously, but worth noting nonetheless), you may need a permit for what you're doing regardless - some cities may just not have the quantity of films being shot to warrant a seperate film commission, but will still need you to have a permit.

Would be worth checking anyway IMO.

It is out on a country road. I was out there for about an hour this evening and two cars passed. I don't think traffic will be a problem.

Did you scout the location at the same day and time of day you will be shooting? Also check schedules for local events. For example... The location is scouted on Thursday night between 10pm and 11pm. The shoot is scheduled for a Saturday night. The local kids like hot-rodding down that particular piece of road on Saturday nights. Or there's a local bar that's only really busy on the weekends, so the traffic picks up A LOT on Saturday night. Or there's a motorcycle rally scheduled for that weekend. Oops. Also, have an alternate location. F'r instance; on the night of your shoot there's an major accident on the main highway, and your remote country road is the perfect alternate road for the big rigs.

BTW, I concur with checking with the local authorities; at the least there's the potential for the local constabulary shutting down your shoot, at the worst is a night in a jail cell and confiscated equipment.

Just for fun... I'm a regular, though small, contributor to the Silver Shield Association here in Connecticut; the SSA looks after the families of injured and killed uniformed police. I began contributing when I was performing with a well-known oldies act, we did lots of PBA, SSA and other benefit shows all over the North East and I became friends with lots of cops. My "junk mobile" car has years of SSA and PBA stickers on it. All I get is a polite request to leave places I shouldn't be when I'm out field recording instead of more serious repercussions. Of course, being polite and cooperative when they initially show up doesn't hurt either. In fact, I get a lot of "If anyone asks, I never saw you here."

On more tip for giggles... Don't use the term "shoot" (you're filming) or refer to a mic as a "shotgun" (it's a "lobar" mic) when filming in Washington D.C. or you're anywhere near politicians; you'll have Secret Service or State Police all over you!

Thanks everyone. I contacted the city hall and they said to just let the local police know whats going on! I will update when I complete shooting.

Once again thank you for supporting my questions. I appreciate having this outlet.

For info purposes:

I had this response from the Wyoming Film Office for shooting on roads in Wyoming...

"State parks require a permit. Here's your point of contact:

Windy Kilroy (307) 777-3531 phone 1 windy.kilroy1@wyo.gov

If you're shooting roads, you'll want to talk to WYDOT. If it's just driving shots, you probably won't have to worry much. If you're shooting on the side of the road, you'll need to fill out a form or two.

McGee, Doug Public Affairs Officer, WYDOT Direct: 777-4010 phone 1 Main Line: 777-4375 phone 2."

Back