PC vs MAC

amfx22000 said:
PC, HANDS DOWN! PCs (Windows) give the user MUCH more control and WAY more software options.

Macs have Final Cut Pro, but that's it.

I absolutely diagree with everything stated in this post, but I promise not to get all frothy about it. I am fluent in:

TRS-80
VAX
*nix
prodos
amigados
Macintosh
Windows

Cisco IOS
Most protocols on the internet (manually)

I've never had a problem altering/tweaking my Macintoshes, if you don't know how, please don't state it can't be done.

I've never had a problem finding software for the Macintosh, if you don't know where to look, please don't state it doesn't exist.

Blanket statements like this only serve to lessen people's options when they are trying to make large financial decisions...and that's just mean.

p.s. Premeire was out on the Mac first...and still exists...they even saw fit to make a windows version for y'all to use, wasn't that nice. I can get you links to a couple of other options as well. My copy of diva videoshop still runs just fine too (that predates avid).

PC vs. Mac is completely personal preference...period. The only time this doesn't apply is if your only task you want to use it for is to play the lastest, greatest games. Personally, I consider the PC games market a test market to filter the game content that comes to the Mac...we only get the good stuff.

mac or pc???u b surprised.

LETS JUST SAY IM PART OF THE FILMMAKING INDUSTRY. CHANCES R U GUYS HAVE SEEN ALOT OF MY WORK ON THE BIG SCREEN. I LOVE MY MAC'S BUT THE INDUSTRY ISNT WAITING ANYMORE FOR MACS TO GET WITH THE TIMES. MY LAST 8 FILMS INCLUDING EPISODE 3 WERE DONE WITH THE NEW WAVE OF HIGH PERFORMANCE PC'S. SADLY MACS WILL SOON BE OBSOLETE IN THE YEARS 2 COME. tHE WHOLE INDUSTRY HAS SEEN THE WAY PC ARE CUTTING OUR WORK LITERALLY IN HALF. THE 64 BIT AMD'S ARE SLOWLY SHOVING MACS OF THE SET. WHATS AMAZING IS MY 15 YEAR OLD SON HAS THESAME TECHNOLOGY WE USE UNDER HIS DESK, AND IM AMAZED AT THE WORK HE DOING...AT HOME NOT AT OUR C-GENERATION LABS?!!!ON HALLOWEEN I NEEDED THE FAMILY COMPUTER TO PAY BILLS ETC, NATURALLY EVERY ONE INCLUDING MY DELL;) XPS (MY NEW LOVE)SO I WENT OVER TO MY OFFICE AND NOTICED FOR THE FIRST TIME DUST...THICK DUST ON MY MAC THEN I REALIZED WE WILL SOON FORGET ABOUT THE MAC FOREVER...
TAKE THE PC ROUTE IF U WANNA FOLLOW THE INDUSTRY IF U JUST WANT TO PLAY AROUND A MAC WILL STILL GET THE JOB DONE..

GOOD LUCK!

Your caps lock seems to be broken or stuck. As the skill sets and capabilities are comparable from platform to platform, I would still say get what makes you more comfortable.

big mac said:
LETS JUST SAY IM PART OF THE FILMMAKING INDUSTRY. CHANCES R U GUYS HAVE SEEN ALOT OF MY WORK ON THE BIG SCREEN. I LOVE MY MAC'S BUT THE INDUSTRY ISNT WAITING ANYMORE FOR MACS TO GET WITH THE TIMES. MY LAST 8 FILMS INCLUDING EPISODE 3 WERE DONE WITH THE NEW WAVE OF HIGH PERFORMANCE PC'S. SADLY MACS WILL SOON BE OBSOLETE IN THE YEARS 2 COME. tHE WHOLE INDUSTRY HAS SEEN THE WAY PC ARE CUTTING OUR WORK LITERALLY IN HALF. THE 64 BIT AMD'S ARE SLOWLY SHOVING MACS OF THE SET. WHATS AMAZING IS MY 15 YEAR OLD SON HAS THESAME TECHNOLOGY WE USE UNDER HIS DESK, AND IM AMAZED AT THE WORK HE DOING...AT HOME NOT AT OUR C-GENERATION LABS?!!!ON HALLOWEEN I NEEDED THE FAMILY COMPUTER TO PAY BILLS ETC, NATURALLY EVERY ONE INCLUDING MY DELL;) XPS (MY NEW LOVE)SO I WENT OVER TO MY OFFICE AND NOTICED FOR THE FIRST TIME DUST...THICK DUST ON MY MAC THEN I REALIZED WE WILL SOON FORGET ABOUT THE MAC FOREVER...
TAKE THE PC ROUTE IF U WANNA FOLLOW THE INDUSTRY IF U JUST WANT TO PLAY AROUND A MAC WILL STILL GET THE JOB DONE..

GOOD LUCK!

why are you screaming at us?:huh:

Macs are great computers for CGI and Webdesigning. They use less power to computer faster. so a 2ghz G5 system faster then a P4D 4ghz.

but as pointed out, Not alot of support for Macs. FCP is a great editing tool but for students, thats a bit pricey and there isnt alot of lower end support for macs.

One good thing I understand is XSI, MAYA and I believe the newer Max8 all support Macintosh Platforms now.

In return, P4 technology is catching up with the newer duel processers and Hyperthread technology. Pretty soon Pentiums newer D technology will render far faster then currect macintosh can.

Upside is that Any filming you do on Macintosh seems to only take up half the data space (or so Im told)

knightly said:
Your caps lock seems to be broken or stuck. As the skill sets and capabilities are comparable from platform to platform, I would still say get what makes you more comfortable.

I agree.

also, I uploaded those files in that thread. Hope you can figure out the best way for me to format the code.

Now, I want to try and figure out to do a mouseover and stream wmv or rm or even flash or even find a flash template.

Would you suggest mouseover vs flash since mouseover doesnt require a plugin? :huh:

You can answer this in the other thread :D im just being pushy cause I want to set up my webpage :D :D

Holy necro thread, batman.

I think everything's been said that needs to be said, but I just want to take this opportunity and get a pet peeve off my chest... it's "Mac", not "MAC". Macintosh is not an acronym. That's all :D

That's a hardcore question. Did you bring your fireman's outfit?

For movie editing, I recommend Mac.

For everything else, I recommend PC.

* additionally, I recommend FCP over AP.

** on a side note, you can build your own PC that is much more powerful than a Mac for way less money.

Last edited:
To each his own. By the way I have never found an Apple product that I haven't been able to find a more expensive PC counterpart of so the price shouldn't be an issue. Unless of course you build your own. If so more power to you :)

To each his own. By the way I have never found an Apple product that I haven't been able to find a more expensive PC counterpart of so the price shouldn't be an issue. Unless of course you build your own. If so more power to you :)

Of course you can find a more expensive PC...but those are usually high end gaming rigs by Falcon NW or Alienware. The majority of PC's are much less expensive than Macs. But I'll tell you what, if you spend the same amount of money on a PC (building your own) you're going to have a much more powerful computer on the PC side.

I love both companies for different reasons, so I'm not a fanboy. But I dare someone to even try to compare price to power...Apple adds a ton of price for design and branding. The hardware you could buy on a PC that would normally go into the brand of Apple can turbo charge your PC.

As an example, I spent a mere $900 on my PC, custom piecing the parts together, and I have a Quadcore-based rig that will blow most stock G5's out of the water.

Last edited:
Much less expensive without the specs. I did mention that if you build your own you'll have a great system. If you buy a PC from a well known company and load it up with whatever high performance components you need your paying a lot of money. I've known PC guys that have spent $4000.00 and up on their systems. Again, to each his own. Still when PC people try to tell me why I should prefer PC over Mac I start to wonder. Should I prefer Nike over Adidas or Pepsi over Coke because someone else decided it was better for me?
I know I could do the majority of the things I need on a PC but so could most PC people on Macs.

Mac vs PC
Republicans vs Democrats
Elvis vs Beatles

Can't we all just get along?

Much less expensive without the specs. I did mention that if you build your own you'll have a great system. If you buy a PC from a well known company and load it up with whatever high performance components you need your paying a lot of money. I've known PC guys that have spent $4000.00 and up on their systems. Again, to each his own. Still when PC people try to tell me why I should prefer PC over Mac I start to wonder. Should I prefer Nike over Adidas or Pepsi over Coke because someone else decided it was better for me?
I know I could do the majority of the things I need on a PC but so could most PC people on Macs.

Mac vs PC
Republicans vs Democrats
Elvis vs Beatles

Can't we all just get along?

It's not quite simply a preference thing...

Some examples: if you want to play video games...there is no comparison. PC all the way. If you want to expand your computer. PC all the way. If you want to build your own. PC all the way. If you want a more powerful computer for less money. PC all the way.

If you want a more stable OS. Mac all the way. If you want a prettier designed case and user interface (OS). Mac all the way. If you want 'i' status. Mac all the way.

And as I mentioned, of course you can spend $4k on a custom PC...but I promise you the PC you get from that will smoke a Mac of the same price.

As far as consumer grade computers, you can spend half the amount of money on a PC then you would on a Mac, and edit your movie just fine. It may crash a bit more...lol...but Windows is getting better at least.

Last edited:
But I bought a G5 with all of the trimmings for $800.00 the other day from Apple. Just kidding. Still, preference plays a really,really,really, bit part in all of this. If you can do most things on both platforms then preference has a lot to do wth it.
By the way I don't care about "i" status. I've been using macs before they were cool and everyone was telling me that they wouldn't last another year.

Wow!

A thread DEAD for four year gets revived and the debate starts anew.
It's not quite simply a preference thing...

I think you have proven the opposite is true. Both platforms have
their advantages and disadvantages so it comes down to
preference. Neither is “better”, both can be very expensive or
inexpensive, software is available for both and software is
limited on both. A quad core 4ghz PC is the same as a quad core
4ghz Mac.

So it comes down to preference. I’d agree economics can be a
factor, but it’s quite simply a preference thing.

For example: I’d rather be using an older, less powerful $900 Mac
and Final Cut than a more powerful $900 PC running Premiere. You
can make the point that the more powerful machine is “better” but
my preference will still be the Mac.

That isn’t anything BUT a simple preference thing.

You can convince yourself that people like me are all about the
“i” status or the pretty designs. But the truth is, it’s simply a
preference thing. I don’t care about status. I don’t care about
the pretty case. I prefer Final Cut over Premiere and I prefer
the ease of use of the Mac over the PC. Even though I know (from
experience) that Premiere is an excellent program and PC’s are
easy to use.

It’s quite simply a preference thing.

Wow!

A thread DEAD for four year gets revived and the debate starts anew.

I think you have proven the opposite is true. Both platforms have
their advantages and disadvantages so it comes down to
preference. Neither is “better”, both can be very expensive or
inexpensive, software is available for both and software is
limited on both. A quad core 4ghz PC is the same as a quad core
4ghz Mac.

So it comes down to preference. I’d agree economics can be a
factor, but it’s quite simply a preference thing.

For example: I’d rather be using an older, less powerful $900 Mac
and Final Cut than a more powerful $900 PC running Premiere. You
can make the point that the more powerful machine is “better” but
my preference will still be the Mac.

That isn’t anything BUT a simple preference thing.

You can convince yourself that people like me are all about the
“i” status or the pretty designs. But the truth is, it’s simply a
preference thing. I don’t care about status. I don’t care about
the pretty case. I prefer Final Cut over Premiere and I prefer
the ease of use of the Mac over the PC. Even though I know (from
experience) that Premiere is an excellent program and PC’s are
easy to use.

It’s quite simply a preference thing.

You crack me up.

Of course it's more than preference. If you like games...there is no 'choice'...there's PC. If you want your computer upgradable...there is no choice...it's PC.

Both brands don't have equal abilities...

Yes there is preference in certain aspects. But it's not completely preference...unless you want to weight the pros and cons out and force them to be equal...I guess anyone can make those ideas sound reasonable....preference...preference....what does that word mean. I guess you can make it mean anything you want in this case.

But the fact is, you simply can not do things with a Mac that you can do with a PC....if you need those options (like upgradeability), then you HAVE to go PC.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Sorry. I thought were were talking about video editing.

Well yes and no...lol. It started out that way, but I think it evolved into a bit more standard pros and cons of the PC and Mac in general.

That tends to happen when you put 'vs' on anything.

But right, yes...it is preference when it comes to video editing.

I prefer Macs and FCP. As do you.

cam how did you even *find* this thread? :P

I'll refrain from reiterating what I've said before and just put it this way:

Apple vs Windows is a question of stability over flexibility.

Apple designs their hardware (Macs) to run their software (OS X) and vice versa. As such, they charge a premium for it, but as they put it, It Just Works. Very good stability, very high quality components, efficient, well-coded software.

Windows is built to run on as many types of computers, work with as much hardware as possible. This slows down the code, makes it less stable. Since Microsoft doesn't build computers as well, they don't have total control over how exactly the software will behave on different systems.

Many people say, "I can't upgrade my Mac! I can't build my own Mac! Therefore Mac OS X must suck." Well, no. Apple has a whole separate software/hardware paradigm going. And some people are willing to pay for that over flexibility; the knowledge that they're not going to spend a lot of their time configuring things or fixing crashes.

The stability seems to be the main reason that most (actually all) of the professional video editing installations I've seen are either running Mac or Linux. All the editing facilities I've seen are running Mac with either Avid or Final Cut, and most VFX houses seem to be running Linux.

Back