• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Parasite

Hey everyone, if you have the time please check out this short. It's only about 3 minutes, we had 2 days of filming, had a lot of laughs on the way. The video is for a minor contest. Would you watch this if it were a web series of around 8-10 parts in length of around 4-6 minutes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYTuvrfq3xc

Sets and costumes are pretty good man, your dialogue is hard to understand though. Quiet and echoy. You should team up with a composer and have him score it. Feels long right now, but some music would help a lot.

Over all, good effort! Would I watch it as a series? No. But there are very, very few things I would.

I agree with what Paul Griffith just stated.

Also, as a multi-part project this MIGHT be fine for a middle section AFTER the audience has "invested" concern or interest in any of the characters.
But this is not good for creating intrigue to see how this turns out.

Internet/youtube audiences want high fructose web syrup.
You gotta go fast and you gotta pump in the interest.
This stage drama stuff starts to drag really fast.

GL

hey thanks for the tips! You are not the first to complain about the pronunciation but we did try our best (we're from central europe).
as for the echo, it is intentional.

No problem man. It really wasn't the pronunciation, just the echo/reverb washout that would make the most profound of speakers hard to understand. While in real life that location would (and apparently does) have tons of slapback and reverb, you have to dumb it down on screen. Or if it's something that's intentionally not supposed to be understood, blur the camera and add more echo. The "I just got punched so hard in the face I, and the audience, have no idea what's going on for 3 seconds" type of shot. Can't last long though.

Everything sounds like it's at the far end of a cave. Dialog needs to be DRY, DRY, DRY!!! If you want reverb or echo it can be added in post without reducing intelligibility. Most of the time, however, you keep it dry. The reason is that your brain edits out ambient reverb, and if it can't it tells you to increase your concentration. Your audience shouldn't have to work that hard.

I'll agree with the other posters that the combination of reverb/echo and dialect/accent makes it extremely difficult to understand the dialog.

The volume levels are extremely low; that needs to be corrected as well. You also need Foley and some sound FX to round out the sonic feel of the atmosphere. And what the heck was the whooshy sound in the beginning? Very annoying. And I agree with PG, it needs a score or some music.

Thanks everyone!
We had a bit of trouble with the sound, couldn't get it dry at all because we were in such an empty building. There would be echo no matter what we did. The swoosh sounds in the beggining is the camera that he is speaking to, obviously processing something "futuristic". The music indeed was a problem, couldn't quite get it right, still, this was only the first part, learning from all of our mistakes, the 2nd part should be a bomb if it comes out! thanks again for all the comments!

Back