Panasonic GH2 vs Canon 550d

Hey everyone ,

i'm a cinema student, and i'm not sure which camera i should buy to do my shorts, a canon 550d or a panasonic lumix gh2 , i was hoping u could give me some advice

cumps

gh2 features that differentiate and attract me.

I can use old canon FD lenses (and many others) without the need for GLASS adapters. Cheaper glass by order of magnitude.
It outputs clean HD on the HDMI port during recording (for external HD monitoring)
Newer CPU and encoding code.
Flip out screen

I haven't really looked too much into the GH2, but I saw something interesting the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox_EzLXOSzU

I'm sure you know this, but just in case you don't, the T2i (550D) and the 7D are identical, video-wise.

Last edited:
gh2 features that differentiate and attract me.

I can use old canon FD lenses (and many others) without the need for GLASS adapters. Cheaper glass by order of magnitude.
It outputs clean HD on the HDMI port during recording (for external HD monitoring)
Newer CPU and encoding code.
Flip out screen

IF I can get somebody to confirm "It outputs clean HD on the HDMI port during recording", which I so far haven't been able to do I would probably buy it (if that output is only lightly compressed 4:2:2, basically almost a 4K camera as some have claimed). If that is true it's basically a homerun.

Though I have to admit the thought of a $3000 recorder hooked up to a $900 camera is pretty damn funny.

The major downside is having to use one of those dedicated 4/3 lenses to have a wide angle of any kind.

Last edited:
Seems to me the latest thinking is that some of the ISSUES noted with HDMI output to device like a nanoflash is due to the PAL implementation in the camera. 24p Cinema Mode (24fps at 24mbs) is not repoted to have the frame skip\freeze issue on HDMI recording (its not there when monitoring..) ... Im still confused.

Plenty of wide options available in c-mount, but you have to be okay with bringing in the outer edge a bit to get rid of vignetting. Apparently some of them cover better than others, so ymmv when clearing out the edges.

Back