Panasonic AF100 Discontinued?

Yeah there's a *new* one. It's not really new, more of an update. Way too late.

Panasonic AF100a. 10-bit HD output via SDI port, 18Mps data rate, Full 1080/60p recording, new focus assist and 16bit LPCM audio.

Adorama has the AF100A listed at $4135.

That said, I hope this means that the AF200 is imminent.

An AF200 with a modern m4/3 sensor, FS700 frame rates and FS100 pricing would be a winner.

Or alternatively, shooters would probably buy a shoulder mounted camera with HD-SDI and built in NDs at the price point of the NEX-EA50.

Or maybe a real game changer, with 2K RAW output, XLR inputs and 1080/60p at a price point competitive with the BMCC MFT? I would sell every camera I own for something like that.

What's your wish list for the AF200?

Cheers and Happy New Year,

Bill

With the work I do, if they came out with a AF200 with all the current features of the AF100 but with a FF sensor, better low light performance and no moire or aliasing recording at 10-bit in a sub $3000 price range?... Take all my money.

What's your wish list for the AF200?

As long as we are talking about things that will never happen:

Oversampled s35 4.5K-5K or-so sensor using similar tricks to the c300 vis-a-vis color oversampling to get closer to RGB than traditional bayer sensors, but with 10bit RAW 2K-ish out HD-SDI. Clean and Recordable.

Gen-lock time code features, simple 2-channel XLR audio in. Real connectors, even if they are silly mini-xlr ala RED One.

PL mount version available. Have no need for AF features.

Lightweight metal body with decent form-factor. Would be great if it had an in-build shoulder pad/VCT plate bottom ala ENG cams or similar to the Alexa body. Even better if it had hard mount points so that fewer erector set pieces are needed to make it ergonomic.

Actual real buttons for menu features, quick features, etc.

A power input that I don't have to do 6 years of research in order to use industry standard v-mount/IDX style batteries.

A menu system more like the Alexa, and less like an enterprise security software suite (I'm looking at you RED). Small read out screen and quick buttons on the AC side of the camera, ala Alexa.

A solid EVF/LCD combo on a real mount, none of this flip-out screen on the side or from the back nonsense. The ability to use some sort of "extender" for said EVF.

Some form of industry standard high-speed recording media. Stop making up formats like P2/SxS/et al. Even better if it were just a simple standard 2.5" SSD drive or something. Something I can pick up in bulk/OEM like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171567

... and just plug it into a slot without paying 10x the cost for the camera maker to stick an SSD drive in a fancy looking housing with branding all over it.

Built-in intervalomter that actually works. Full rez capture 1-120fps. Low rez at high frame rates optional. Not really worried about those so much. :)

----

But what I really want, is for someone to figure out how to use a Foveon X3 style layered sensor in a digital cinema camera while solving the hideously small ISO range problem it has along with its low light issues and giving it a host of frame rates as above.

I mean, you know, as long as we are talking about things that will never happen. :D

Back