• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Overusing words in action lines - "look" "sit"

The script I'm writing is more action than dialogue. Problem is, I'm starting to notice I overuse words like "look," "sit," "stare" and I'm only 25 pages in.

The way I've learned to avoid using "sit" is simply to drop it out:

EX1:
Sally sits at the kitchen table.
change to
Sally at the kitchen table

EX2:
The whole family sits at the table table, with the exception of Margaret, who organizes the silverware.
change to
The whole family at the dinner table except Margaret, who sets the table.

But you'll notice how the latter sentences just sound plain awkward. So, I'm not sure what to do.

I avoid using "look" by just finding relevant synonyms: gawk, glance, gape.
Thing is, I'm still finding that "look" is a much more appropriate choice.

Any advice?

Excising an adverb won't help you if you can't tell a story just like writing a good story doesn't mean one must omit adverbs. That's my only point. Your Hollywood dream won't die if you row your boat gently and merrily down the stream. Know if you pros looks lake thus? You're in trouble. Spell check won't save you there. :D

Your Hollywood dream won't die, but that doesn't make a bad habbit a good one.

Look at it this way. I bite my nails when I get nervous. If I bite my nails during a pitch there's a good chance it wont make or break the pitch let alone my carreer. It absolutely won't help and it isn't good ettiquite.

It's like divorce, farting in public, or messing your kids up. It's not the right thing to do, but we're so used to it that most of the time you can get away with it. That's it.

Good writers can use adverbs to enhance, not detract. There are many times when only using a verb, no matter how good, is enough. Take a pen and paper and try to think of a few examples.

You don't have an example, so you want the guy who disagrees with you to come up with one? I don't think a good example really exists. Half of the adverbs I see in scripts suppliment poor word choice. The others describe emotions that verbs don't have.

My characters don't run quickly, they sprint. They don't jump joyfully in the air because jumps are not joyful the character is.

On a similar note, no one is ever VERY anything.

Back