Outdoor lighting

I have been planning out my short, and figured that most of the shots are outside. I want to get lighting perfect for it(still cheap though). So basically I'm asking what do you think I should ad to my list of stuff to buy. What should be my first priority. Also on a side note, what makes a good shoulder rig for running with someone?

Do you own lighting equipment? What look are you going for?

If you are shooting during the day, I recommend starting with reflector boards.

If you are shooting at nighttime, your best bet would be a generator, extension cords, CTB filters, black-wrap, and a lighting kit.

You need to clarify about the rig you want. What camera are you using? Do you want a steady look or a handheld look? What is your budget? Why a SHOULDER rig, does it have to be a shoulder rig? Is renting an option?

Here's a good rig:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DSLR-RIG-Wi...r-Mount-Rig-with-COUNTER-WEIGHT-/151176802808 (this one includes a matte box and follow focus as well)

Here's another good rig (although it's not a shoulder rig):

http://www.rhinocameragear.com/RCG EZ-Steady

You should also consider renting.

----

Also, do you have audio covered?

Last edited:
for outdoor during the day it's more about planning and execution. picking good spots to film in, if you have any shade that helps a lot.

you can get a simple poster board for a soft bounce or get a real bounce for stronger fill light

Are LED panels worth buying?

Generally, their colour is incredibly average. Also, you'd need to spend a lot to get one without enough output to combat daylight.

I've used them as little fillights etc. in the past, but I'm not the biggest fan.

Spend a day in the same conditions as you'd like to shoot at your location. Check out what the sun's doing, where it's going to be at certain times. Often, you don't have the time to do that, so I use the sunseeker app to figure out where the sun will be so that it's perfect for us to shoot in.

Google Earth also has a cool little sun simulator.

As far as on the day - it really depends on the style/mood of shooting You may want to put off that scene to a cloudy day if that's the feel you want, you may want to put it off to a really hot, bright sunny day if that's the feel you want. You may use a bright, sunny day, but diffuse with a large butterfly to soften the sun's shadows just slightly.

I use a large-ish bead-board for reflection, I'm really not a fan of hard silver reflectors. One side is white, the other has Rosco soft silver on it, which is a bit nicer and softer than hard silver, but gives a bit more light than white.
Often, I have unbleached muslin clipped over the soft silver, which is also good for reflecting or diffusing.

Back