• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Outdoor Lighting

Hey ive got a music video coming up to shoot and i will be filming outdoors in a "rural area"

I was curious to know what lighting i should use for outdoor/daytime and if reflectors should be used?

Regards :)

use bright electric lights and you could use reflectors if you want to.

My answer is based on the info you ve provided about your project.
for general information please press "search".

Last edited:
If all you have is your camera and nothing else, then all you can do is just shoot. If you have a prosumer camera, there should be a neutral density filter setting which is what you use when you are shooting outside. Then you'll have to "eyeball" the look that you prefer once you white balance.

You ought to do this beforehand so that when you get to your shoot, you won't be trying to figure it out when you get to the set.

-- spinner :cool:

When outdoors reflectors, flags and ND win out. Very hard to light bright enough to compete with sunlight, so you bounce the sunlight or flag it away to make your contrast. ND and scrim can help take it down a little at a time.

Bright electric lights = at least 6k - 12k or 6000w-12000w. There aren't any LED's around that can do that.

ND= Neutral Density. It comes in gels and camer filters. Basically like sunglasses, it darkens. So "Reflectors, flags and ND win out (win the competition) (against outdoor daytime lighting).

At night time any lighting you'd use indoors will help, but there are certain lights and techniques if you're simulating moonlight.

Ah ok, thats cool then as i have a ND filter for the cam anyway (well i hope it will fit the lens)

ive only got 3x 800w lights at the moment, so ill have a look around on ebay or something for brighter. unless you think those will do for now...

at this time of year there is no sun lol ( in london) so im guessing it will be overcast so should i light it with 3x 800w?

Tungsten lights are much more orange than daylight, so you'll need to gel them to match it using something called Colour To Blue (or Full CTB). This gel reduces the light output by almost two stops (66%), so your 800W lights will be the equivalent of 270W each - very little light even in October in Britain.

you will need hmi's to do any effective lighting outside, which in involves generators .not sure of your budget but this will eat up a lot of it.
shoot the wides with natural light and use the 800 watt lights for the close ups. but will still involve a genny.

to change the colour temp of lights use colour temperature gels. these come in several grades.

"colour temperature blue" or CTB

full ctb...........converts tungsten to 5700k
3/4 ctb..........converts tungsten to 5000k
1/2 ctb..........converts tungsten to 4300k
1/4 ctb..........converts tungsten to 3600k

"colour temperature orange" or CTO

full cto..........converts 5600k to 3200k
1/2 cto..........converts 5600k to 3800k
1/4 cto..........converts 5600k to 4600k

you will lose stops depending on the grade used.

these figures based on lee filters

Last edited:
Back