Out of the Box Suggestions to build Equity

I could use serious suggestions to come up with ways to build equity to my TV series some of you are familiar that I am working on to get financing.

It starts with source material that has a pre-existing fan base. Otherwise, a name that stands out in the industry is signed on as an Executive Producer.

Example, Rodney Roddenberry does not have his Dad's resume as an executive producer. But, he wants to turn his Dad's TV movie into a TV series. So, he signed on Ron Howard as a co-producer.

My rep is afraid if we sign on a name, they will want to steal the production. The industry established TV science fiction writer I know is too much of a gentleman for that. He is just too busy to help because his plate is full with TV network scripts.

Babylon 5 signed on Harlan Ellison as their story editor to add equity.

Because we are making a series on AI, robotics, The Singularly, cyborgs, and space travel, I am thinking we can reach out to corporate sponsors of real AI development in Japan like Honda Corp for help because our series will examine more AI applications than anyone else before us.

Japan is more open in the development than the USA in their AI and robotics development. Thus, I would choose Japan over the USA for a venture like this.

Can anyone help with useful suggestions?

I could use serious suggestions to come up with ways to build equity to my TV series some of you are familiar that I am working on to get financing.

It starts with source material that has a pre-existing fan base. Otherwise, a name that stands out in the industry is signed on as an Executive Producer.

Example, Rodney Roddenberry does not have his Dad's resume as an executive producer. But, he wants to turn his Dad's TV movie into a TV series. So, he signed on Ron Howard as a co-producer.

My rep is afraid if we sign on a name, they will want to steal the production. The industry established TV science fiction writer I know is too much of a gentleman for that. He is just too busy to help because his plate is full with TV network scripts.

Babylon 5 signed on Harlan Ellison as their story editor to add equity.

Because we are making a series on AI, robotics, The Singularly, cyborgs, and space travel, I am thinking we can reach out to corporate sponsors of real AI development in Japan like Honda Corp for help because our series will examine more AI applications than anyone else before us.

Japan is more open in the development than the USA in their AI and robotics development. Thus, I would choose Japan over the USA for a venture like this.

Can anyone help with useful suggestions?

Are you planning on financing the entire tv show yourself? A season? 13 episodes?

Or are you looking at financing a pilot that you would show to networks?

I thought that the movie you were working on now was supposed to be the pilot?

Have you talked with potential investors yet? What were their impressions on your suggestion?

When looking for investors, one has to have a good enough of a package that would be enticing for potential investors.

If you haven't had luck with investors yet, then it's possible that your package isn't strong enough, or you haven't asked the right people.

I emailed my rep all of the business card information of an investor I met last year in person.

He wants to see an industry name attached as a story editor, or a series writer, or the source material based on something with a pre-existing fan base that we have the rights to use for a series for the foundation for funding to begin.

WPIX's Vampire Diaries, for example are based on bestselling books.

well, seems you have a very specific requirement from the investor, good place to start.
If you can get that in writing then maybe you could approach the industry name (or author\writer) and get a more positive response.

If your bring in a writer or something, don't just bring them in for a name, bring them in for what they do! It would be stupid to get a proven writer in your project only to side line them becuase you gave them no power...

There are lots of kooks and crackpots around the singularity movement (I count myself as one) you might get one of the contributors to http://singularity.org to sign up as technical consultant or something....

We are ruling out India for this type of series.

We are looking at Germany as another source because they supply some of the best R&D scientists and engineers to the world as well as they have one of the strongest economies in the world.

I emailed my rep all of the business card information of an investor I met last year in person.

He wants to see an industry name attached as a story editor, or a series writer, or the source material based on something with a pre-existing fan base that we have the rights to use for a series for the foundation for funding to begin.

WPIX's Vampire Diaries, for example are based on bestselling books.

In other words: he wants people or a 'franchise' that have proven to be able to make money.

Why do you think Germans might be interested?
And what do you want from them?
Do you want to have a thinktank about future technology?

My rep has a cousin in Germany who works as a producer for a TV network advising him where to shop it around for both funding and studio co-producers.

There are a lot of unemployed R&D engineers and scientists in the USA we can get as technical advisors thanks to corporate America outsourcing their jobs overseas to save money.

Getting production advisors won't be a problem.

Our series is something the German culture would find interesting.

We would try Italy, if their economy wasn't so bad. They like comic book heroes in Italy.

Hey Modern,

This is going to sound really left field. I suggest that you go to Amazon. Buy a season or two of a TV Series called Shark Tank. It has nothing to do with filming, though it'll give you some insight into the mindset of sophisticated investors.

When you've done that, you'll understand the following advice for a producer. Attach who/what you need to pre-sell it. Then go out and pre-sell it. Find investors (it's probably better if you do talk with them beforehand as to what they want presold). It'll be relatively easy at this point.

A piece of advice. If you want an investor to work with you and they tell you their condition(s). You want to know what you do? Either A). Do what is asked. or B). Find another investor. If the investor wants you to attach a named writer, you should find a named writer to attach. I don't know why you're making it so complicated.

Edit: Why do you have a rep? and what does he do?

My rep rather keep looking for investors.

I started a threat in a forum of science fiction writers who have day jobs as scientists and engineers asking if they know of any AI and robotics companies who are looking to create public awareness in AI and robotics who may even want to advertise their products in our series I can contact to see if they want to be corporate sponsors.

For anyone NOT familiar with the series I am working on turning into a cable TV series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb-y2i5FBJg

Here is the 5 min preview. TV professionals like the story bible much more than the prevew.

If you see what they are making in Japan, our seres would do well over there too.

For anyone NOT familiar with the series I am working on turning into a cable TV series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb-y2i5FBJg

Here is the 5 min preview. TV professionals like the story bible much more than the prevew.

If you see what they are making in Japan, our seres would do well over there too.

Wow! One of your actresses (sister soldier) was also in my movie. Nice coincidence.

Rafael

Which one?

The actress playing Colonel Roberta Azzurra is from Serbia and in the Eastern European Union of actors and she has a big overseas following in Serbian countries.

The actress playing Artemis is on Law and Order TV series and gets roles in big screen productions.

The rest of the actresses are up and coming.

You're looking for "Out of the Box Suggestions to build Equity"? IMO, you're not working on a science fiction so why bother trying to attach scientists and engineers? Get John Waters for spokesperson and cameo....or Steve Buscemi imitating John Waters.

You're looking for "Out of the Box Suggestions to build Equity"? IMO, you're not working on a science fiction so why bother trying to attach scientists and engineers? Get John Waters for spokesperson and cameo....or Steve Buscemi imitating John Waters.

I have worked with scientists and engineers with my day job. So, getting them is easy for me.

My rep has someone working on getting a celebrity actor interested in our production we may see if we can also use as a spokesperson too. This actor, however, is well known on science fiction TV series we have a complex character to play.

Back