Other Aspiring Interests

So I assume some people here are at least mini-entrepreneurs! :D

What other industries are you in? What industries would you like to be in? Tell us about your life in this industry! (Feel free to grab interest with fancy images!)

I'll start us off

(hehe those circles aren't transparent)

I own a game design studio called Fishagon! Now this isn't like playstation games or anything, just traditional games (card and board) that you can play face to face with other people at a table.

Since I was a kid I always loved playing card games like "YuGiOh" so it was only natural that one day I'd make my own on paper. Then in my high school years I was assigned by the teacher to make a game based on Edgar Allen Poe. So I did, and I called it Forevermore. It was a trivial game where you try not to let your loved ones die as you write the masterpieces of the ages. My school loves it and now the teacher plays it with her English 2 & 3 Honors students every year... however I never published it...

Although! My studio does have four games out

Solar, 12/21/12, Mash PotatoS, and Topsy Turvy

And I have an expansion for 12/21/12 coming out tomorrow called Fire & Ice! 12/21/12 is a game about earning points while you do everything you want to do on the last day of the earth while you don't worry about the consequences. Fire & Ice will add Player Elimination if you mix them together. There will be a total of 10 stand alone expansions 1 base and 1 mini expansion. This will allow players to create the game they want to play! I think it's a neat business model for a game, thought I'd share :D

So far I haven't published any board games... but I have a few done and ready for publishing.. I just don't want to go into that part of the industry yet... need a bit more fan base for a Kickstarter to work there, and I won't do a board game without the risk free feels of KS.

Lately we've picked up a new "game" called Project Soundsystem from a local gaming group we met at a Fishagon Demo. An 18 year old has completely created a whole new RPG system (game type similar to D&D or Pathfinder) which was quite impressive to say the least, so I went on my gut instinct and signed him up for quite the large publishing contract. I'm excited to compete with D&D and Pathfinder in the coming year and have high hopes for this extensive and original system.

1507202_561925773899068_1775458575_n.jpg

And lastly, since I started Fishagon little over a year ago the whole studio has wanted to get into the video game industry... we have a fighting game we're working on, but I don't expect release to be sooner than early 2015.

-----------------------------

Now that I've shared, give me your thoughts if you'd like and share of your other ventures outside of Film! :D

I tried to start a software company once. Quit my job for over a year.. had two people drop out on me, couldn't get anyone to help.. then hit a roadblock and got burned out. I have the technical expertise now to overcome that roadblock but i'm still burned out on the software thing. IT was just impossible to get anyone to come on board, people don't want to program all day at work and then come home and sit in front of a computer and program more.

Making a film was so much more fun, and so much easier to get other people to collaborate. So much to learn but i am focusing on film full time now. Writing, directing, cinematography, the whole lot

Back