oscar nominations

I couldn't help but noticing that most of the oscar nominated films premiered in winter and most of them chose to premier at the toronto international film festival. Does this mean that as a first time filmmaker, it's best to carefully target a specific festival if you're, let's say, confident that your project will be well received?

Moved to Viewfinder.

I would say that if you are absolutely positive that it will be well recieved then you should go for the bigger name fests like Toronto and Sundance. With that said, as long as any given fest doesn't require that your film make it's premiere there, then you should submit to multiple fests - as many as you can.

On the topic of the Oscars, anyone groan aloud when you heard the nominees?

Poke

Last edited:
Poke said:
On the topic of the Oscars, anyone goran aloud when you heard the nominees?

I did.

I can't believe they passed over that
smiley_moore.gif
film!

Must ... resist .... getting ... annoyed....

Hopefully this will be Johnny Depp's year.. he's been nominated before, but hasn't won yet, has he?

Yeah, I couldn't believe they passed on Farenheit 9/11 either. I was sure it'd be in the Best Picture category (although that would make me groan louder).

And I feel like Depp is only getting recognized for earlier work that he was passed over on.

Poke

Poke said:
But the Oscars are supposed to be about the most recent year in film. I get tired when people get "make up" nominations.

Poke

You are right, but Depp does deserve some recognition. I felt the same as you when PJ won for LotR:RofK. IMO he should have won for all three. But then I guess that is an entirely different circumstance. Have you seen "Finding Neverland?" Since I haven't I can't speak on his performance. Does he deserve the nomination?

I saw half of it (snuck in after Life Aquatic let out). He was good, but not as good as Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine.

Yeah, PJ should have won for all three (Chicago is a better film than The Two Towers?), but what I'm talking about is something we could call the Denzel Syndrome.

Poke

Jim Carrey got the nom for the GG's but not for CC or the Oscars. I think that is sad. He really outdid himself in underplaying the role. Everyone knows he could have put an incredible amount more into it but he played a semi-depressed, lonely guy for 1 1/2 hours. That is total acting.

Winslett deserves the nom. Watch her in any other film and then watch who she is in ESotSM.

I'm happy Sunshine got the nod for best screenplay, but I don't think it should have been nom for the best screenplay, but best picture. Read the script and you'll see how it was turned into a better picture after production and post was over with.

Amazing both male leads were left out of noms for Sideways.

Phantom doesn't get nominated for costume, but Ray does?

To Skin a Cat not nominated for best Live action short? What?

That's not entirely true..

They can be eligable after a certain length theatrical run in LA (and I believe NY)... which can be bought. ;)

Agreed. It was definately refreshing to see Carrey not hamming it up for the camera, for once. I think he should do more dramatic roles.

Back