Original songs

na..

Cant think of any songs that specifically made for a movie are worth listening too.

Exception to that comment: recent 007 opening credit songs..
If you can get someone like Neil Young to score your film (ala Dead Man soundtrack)
Or your making a movie where music is part of the story, ala "O Brother Where Art Though" which I think were all covers\traditional songs, but the artist really made them awesome..
The artists name is Danny Elfman
The artists name is Jack White
The artists name is Dan Auerbach

there are a million hungry and talented artists out there that will let you use existing music for credit.

soundcloud and reverbnation are both good places to find existing bands, and as stated, plenty of artists that will let you use their songs if you ask. Reverbnation is particularly good because you can search by genre or region if you want to support your local music scene (which you should!)

However, I think there are tons of original songs composed for films that are really awesome, so if there is an artist or band you know, asking if they'd want to write a song for you might be a fun challenge that they'd enjoy.

Also, that Dead Man score is fantastic! And Danny Elfman's "Little Things" from Wanted reminded me just how much I miss Oingo Boingo...I know he doesn't want to tour because of his hearing, but he could do another studio record...

i only have to pay recording cost, and the artist makes music that will fit the final scene/ credits of the film perfectly. i am excited to see what he comes up with for the song. it's just for the movie.

The first issue when commissioning a song is the recording costs. Is your songwriter using live musicians? A nicely equipped studio capable of recording a live band can be expensive. Quality sessions players are also pricey.

The second issue is what if you don't like the final result. You've now spent all that money for nothing.

I've had a lot of luck finding tracks by indie bands, and most are very happy to have their song(s) in even a short film. There are many websites where you can find what you want. Your first "problem" here is that it takes a long time to sift through all of those bands to find the song(s) that fit your project and are well recorded. The second (real) problem comes when you are doing a feature; if you are lucky enough to get distribution the band(s) will want - and deserve - some sort of residuals.

BTW, your commissioned songwriter will probably want residuals, so you will be paying him/her again if you are lucky enough to get distribution. Make sure that the contract states that you will recoup all of your expenses before you pay and residuals.

And the good thing about that is if it's just a guy with a guitar, you can have him play the song for you before going to the studio, to see if you like it!

Back