• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

software Opinions on which Editing software to stay with

Hello All
I am just a hobbies \ independent editor. I basically shoot Airshows, Car shows, family events, vacations. Making a long story short I am the Family video photographer and editor. After taking a break for about a year I am getting back into editing and have been demoing different editing software. And would like some opinions from others on work workflow. Below is what have demo or have worked on before. The good and the bad. My camera is Canon Vixia GX10 4K camcorder and Canon 70D camera.
First up Vegas Pro: Got this program free because I purchased a Sony camcorder years ago it was owned by Sony called Sony Vegas 11 never really use until Vegas 13 free upgrade, but I didn’t like it at the time and upgraded to Vegas 17. Anyway
Magix Vegas 17 Pro:
I love what it offers but crashes to the point where I can’t even use it, especially for 4K. This even after updates, Youtube Videos, and forums. My mistake because I purchased the upgrade.
Avid Media Composer 2019.9
Wow, I know why Hollywood uses it. Big learning curve. I have completed one project with this software. Not the best for one-man-band but it cuts through my 4K footage like butter after converting it DNXHR. If I wanted to do some serious color correction, I would have to round trip it though DaVinci Resolve. Not the best if you do a photo montage. DaVinci Resolve and Premiere are best for this.
DaVinci Resolve 16.1 Studio:
Speaking of DaVinci Resolve this is my go-to for the moment for HD projects. For 4K projects, I don’t like all the tweaking you have to do. Because edited on Premiere Pro and Media Composer using keyboard short cuts, I find myself editing a little faster on these two compared to Davinci Resolve, but the rest of the workflow is great. The other thing I do not like I have been upgrading my computer and as soon as your driver letter changes on the computer for your cache Resolve gets very on happy very quickly, but that my fault.
Premiere Pro
Premiere Pro is kind of my first editing software after Final Cut Pro. Note: I am using windows now. I was using Premiere aback when it was 5.0, to 6.5 but when they went to a subscription that turn me off but now it is more of the norm. That when I stop using it after one year of CC. I have downloaded some demo versions and seems ok but just like Media Composer, you will never own it. My worry is if I go back I am seeing a lot of editors are moving to DaVinci Resolve because Premiere is crashing and slowing down which has me worry, plus you are only getting Premiere on After Effects no Audition, etc, unlike DaVinci Resolve.
Would like opinions:
I would like here from others who went through this and what ended up using. Are you using just one program or multiple for your editing workflow?

I like the subscription model because I use PS and AI a lot and get all the other stuff and always have the latest. I know it's not the best model for some. But hint hint, they often do black friday specials.

Hello All
I am just a hobbies \ independent editor. I basically shoot Airshows, Car shows, family events, vacations. Making a long story short I am the Family video photographer and editor. After taking a break for about a year I am getting back into editing and have been demoing different editing software. And would like some opinions from others on work workflow. Below is what have demo or have worked on before. The good and the bad. My camera is Canon Vixia GX10 4K camcorder and Canon 70D camera.
First up Vegas Pro: Got this program free because I purchased a Sony camcorder years ago it was owned by Sony called Sony Vegas 11 never really use until Vegas 13 free upgrade, but I didn’t like it at the time and upgraded to Vegas 17. Anyway
Magix Vegas 17 Pro:
I love what it offers but crashes to the point where I can’t even use it, especially for 4K. This even after updates, Youtube Videos, and forums. My mistake because I purchased the upgrade.
Avid Media Composer 2019.9
Wow, I know why Hollywood uses it. Big learning curve. I have completed one project with this software. Not the best for one-man-band but it cuts through my 4K footage like butter after converting it DNXHR. If I wanted to do some serious color correction, I would have to round trip it though DaVinci Resolve. Not the best if you do a photo montage. DaVinci Resolve and Premiere are best for this.
DaVinci Resolve 16.1 Studio:
Speaking of DaVinci Resolve this is my go-to for the moment for HD projects. For 4K projects, I don’t like all the tweaking you have to do. Because edited on Premiere Pro and Media Composer using keyboard short cuts, I find myself editing a little faster on these two compared to Davinci Resolve, but the rest of the workflow is great. The other thing I do not like I have been upgrading my computer and as soon as your driver letter changes on the computer for your cache Resolve gets very on happy very quickly, but that my fault.
Premiere Pro
Premiere Pro is kind of my first editing software after Final Cut Pro. Note: I am using windows now. I was using Premiere aback when it was 5.0, to 6.5 but when they went to a subscription that turn me off but now it is more of the norm. That when I stop using it after one year of CC. I have downloaded some demo versions and seems ok but just like Media Composer, you will never own it. My worry is if I go back I am seeing a lot of editors are moving to DaVinci Resolve because Premiere is crashing and slowing down which has me worry, plus you are only getting Premiere on After Effects no Audition, etc, unlike DaVinci Resolve.
Would like opinions:
I would like here from others who went through this and what ended up using. Are you using just one program or multiple for your editing workflow?

Hey! I know the PERFECT video editing software just for you my friend. It’s really easy and simple I’ve used it for trips and journeys. It’s absolutely perfect.
-Can edit in full 4K up to 60fps 150mbps
-Has loads of editing advantages most softwares have like all the different green to blue to black screens.
-Has pretty great visual enhancing capabilities and color correction
-Can do all the key animations

If you learn to use it well and practice a lot it can become just as useful as all the other softwares. And you only have to pay for it once too. No monthly bs.
It’s really easy and simple to use, has multiple timelines and it’s just great if your just doin chill work. I’ve actually attempted editing hour plus long films on it before in 4K and it handles it great.
This will surprise u tho cause it’s actually an app you can get on a normal device, iPad, phone etc. Don’t let this fool you though, it’s made for us type of filmmakers. You should search it up on youtube, it’s really fast and easy to edit loads of vids, make shows, edit events and travels professionally.
If you know how to use it it’ll serve you well.
Its called Lumafusion.

Last edited:
Back