OPINIONS on equipment grouping for project outdoors.

Hello there,

I know there is a wealth of information on this sight, and there are numerous similar questions - but i was hoping to get some opinions on the best way forward for the following situation:

I am filming a short story this summer, with a reputable cast which is great, and need advice on what equipment to try and source. The whole story takes place outdoors, not a single internal set at all.

i really need to look at my cheapest option, and want to cover the following:

1) a cheap but decent dv/hd camera, which films 25p (or its own 'cine mode') Just so long as i can edit it on Final Cut Express. I'd be happy with a consumer camera as these seem to be quite good now and a lot cheaper.

2) An inexpensive but decent dof adapter for above camera, which DOESN"T VIGNETTE (and looks great of course!) - (also, if i could fit on a matt box for filters that would be great but not vitally important)

3) The best method of recording sound (dialogue) - should i do it separately? Or does the camera have good direct sound if i plug in a boom mike? - All dialogue is outside, in hopefully quiet locations.

The whole project will be filmed in rural locations outdoors. It is partly to give example for a larger project, but i have no development funding, so i have to be thrifty all the way!

Thank you all!

RL

if u have no budget, get construction work lights from the hardware stores, then buy correct bulbs at a place like BH video in new york. u now have 500w 5800k lighting, flag the lights with black fireproof materials
need power, use a small generator. or 2. and long extention cords. generators make noise. rent the camera or use a HD flash consumer camera

this is how I first started out and it worked pretty good.

If you are buying a consumer camera it almost certainly won't have the XLR ports you need to connect to your external mic. You'll either need to buy a separate recording device, or rent a camera that has the ability to plug in directly. Given that you are shooting outside, I would figure out how you are going to spend money on sound 1st - specifically, on how you are going to get a shotgun mic if you don't have one, and how you are going to get that. This thread had some sound info that was really useful to me - http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=16715.

Not to be sound-obsessed but if you are using this project partially as a way to get funding for a bigger one, having pretty sound is probably the single best way to show that you are serious about filmmaking :)

Back