• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

online screenwriting courses

Hi,
I get many posts and I also see many online screen writng courses. People are charging
about 250 US $.
What I want to know is the utility of the course. Will it genuinely help a person to be a
better proffessional scriptwriter ?
Padma

Padnar, I never went the online course route. I use DVDs and books. I have Syd Field's Screenwriting workshop and Karl Iglesias' DVDs from the Creative Screenwriting series. I use the DVDs to supplement the ton of books that I have on the subject. When tallied up all of my resources far exceed a $250 online course. Like I'd reread a book, I can pop any of the DVDs in and get a quick refresher.

Whichever way you go, research your decision to get the best bang for your buck. But when it comes down to it these resources are just tools. To get better at writing you have to....write. Use these tools to learn the craft, but like any craft you have to "do" to get better. You probably heard that a million times but I'd be remiss not to mention it as there are many people who view these posts.

I hope that helped.

Kosh

Yeah Kosh I always go by sound advice . Initially I learnt from my Guru Lloyd Boyd .
My writing is based on my subconscious mind . I am a voracious reader especially of
sentimental and romance stuff.
My problem is prosy English and I tell more than show . But nowadays I think I have reduced it .
padma

Yeah i think if you put in the effort researching and scouring forums and articles etc all for free on the internet, you can get the same education.

Just be careful when learning by yourself online. You have to be able to differentiate between good and bad information. As they say, the only thing worse than no information is bad info.

I don't think I'd ever bother with a course either. I've already got the idea. My struggle is with structure and form, and I can learn about those things by studying other scripts for much, much less than a course.

That's just my opinion, anyway.

I've never bought a book on screenwriting. I took a month long class on structure and I've more or less learned how to write by writing, reading, and studying movies (classic, foreign, and modern). Like others have said, I think it really comes down to writing more than anything else. Writing a LOT.

Padnar, I never went the online course route. I use DVDs and books. I have Syd Field's Screenwriting workshop and Karl Iglesias' DVDs from the Creative Screenwriting series. I use the DVDs to supplement the ton of books that I have on the subject. When tallied up all of my resources far exceed a $250 online course. Like I'd reread a book, I can pop any of the DVDs in and get a quick refresher.

Whichever way you go, research your decision to get the best bang for your buck. But when it comes down to it these resources are just tools. To get better at writing you have to....write. Use these tools to learn the craft, but like any craft you have to "do" to get better. You probably heard that a million times but I'd be remiss not to mention it as there are many people who view these posts.

I hope that helped.

Kosh

This sounds good.

My first question to Padnar, what are you getting for $250? Is it was two hour online class? Is it an eight week course which takes you through every aspect of writing? Is there support from like a teacher whom will help if you have questions? If I may ask, please elaborate a bit more of what is being offered?

As for myself, I have taken two classes from two different Universities and have seen a few seminars which have gone over screenwriting. I also attended a group meeting once a month which would teach some form of screenwriting technique (heck, Blake Snyder was at one of the group meetings to speak to us). For me, I've always enjoyed the contact I get from either a class or group setting. I would learn more because I was able to ask questions and get answers. So that is why I'm asking more about this online class and if it's either a good deal or not. My suspicion is probably no because after years of learning so many tools and techniques (15 years) there are still things I'm learning now. The reason I like this person's above suggestion is because they have physical information which they can refer back to and review.

I think the best FREE screenwriting course you can take is to find a filmmaker you like and analyze three of their scripts in detail. Get a basic outline of three act structure - that Syd Field kinda stuff and look them over and see WHY they work. An interesting movie to Study is the original Rocky Notice how EVERY character wants something. The story builds to natural climax. Other favs of mine are Billy Wilder's The Apartment
and Some Like it Hot. I know this is going to get some laughs. Early James Bond movies. Perfect three act structure. I would even argue a tiny bit of character arc at the end where 007 starts to care about the female lead. OKAY very very subtle. Just my thoughts.

I think the best FREE screenwriting course you can take is to find a filmmaker you like and analyze three of their scripts in detail. Get a basic outline of three act structure - that Syd Field kinda stuff and look them over and see WHY they work. An interesting movie to Study is the original Rocky Notice how EVERY character wants something. The story builds to natural climax. Other favs of mine are Billy Wilder's The Apartment
and Some Like it Hot. I know this is going to get some laughs. Early James Bond movies. Perfect three act structure. I would even argue a tiny bit of character arc at the end where 007 starts to care about the female lead. OKAY very very subtle. Just my thoughts.

Thanks for all your suggestions . I read a lot of scripts ,but as such I dont analyse it . some of them are shooting scripts and I know it differs from Independent scripts. I hope I get the early draft of The Apartment .
Regarding the course it is a eight week course and there is a tutor attached to the course . He got a lot of credentials .
I am planning to purchase The script writers bible and thanks all for your wonderful suggestions
padma

"Regarding the course it is a eight week course and there is a tutor attached to the course . He got a lot of credentials .
I am planning to purchase The script writers bible and thanks all for your wonderful suggestions"

It's hard to say but 8 week course would be good to get the basics down. If that is what they are offering and you have no clue about screenwriting, then I would say it might not be a bad deal for $250. Will you be able to come to Hollywood and sell you idea once a 8 week course is complete? Highly doubtful but it could be a good stepping stone to a long relationship with screenwriting.

Personally, I think the best thing to do (at least for myself) would be to just write the story and use a few sources (be they in book form or online) as a guide to properly structure the story into a screenplay. I tend to be rather skeptical of courses that charge fees, especially online courses.

Back