Online Film school?

I was looking the other day and was thinking of doing some online film school classes. Just some lessons on cinematography, under $200 if possible. Does anyone know of a site that does this?

Thanks!

What do you think you can learn from online film school? I thought film school's purpose was to give hands on experience. That can't happen sitting in front of a computer.

I suggest using that $200 bucks and shooting something.

How would you do an online class in cinematography? It's hardly an exact science.. It's more about trying lighting and being hands-on and testing things out, seeing how they look rather than a necessary exact science, unless you're looking for simple basics.. but even then..

Thanks for the advice!

I wasn't meaning to come across at all as if IndieTalk isn't good enough. I don't know what I'd do without it! I was looking for video tutorials and such. I've checked quite a few up on Youtube and they're great! It's just that it doesn't cover every piece of it in enough detail as I'd like. I suppose it's probably not worth it. I'll just go buy some books on Amazon :)

Filmmaking isn't rocket science with formulas. There are no "rules". Make a short film, see what doesn't look good to you and make another one.
You can't learn making movies by reading books or watching tutorials. That's just a mental masturbation that gives u an illusion that you re learning how to make movies, when in reality u ain't making a jack-shit.

Buy some pizza for your friends, make 5 minute film, edit it, and repeat :)

Filmmaking isn't rocket science with formulas. There are no "rules". Make a short film, see what doesn't look good to you and make another one.
You can't learn making movies by reading books or watching tutorials. That's just a mental masturbation that gives u an illusion that you re learning how to make movies, when in reality u ain't making a jack-shit.

Buy some pizza for your friends, make 5 minute film, edit it, and repeat :)

The 'pizza-trick' is great advice.

However:
Reading books or watching tutorials can help you making films.
It can give you directions. It can point you on things you didn't think about. And it can tell you possible solutions for a certain challange.
But without making stuff, it means nothing.
Without making stuff, most tutorials will be abracadabra anyway, because you don't understand what is happening.

@dlevanchuk:
you are right: I can tell you filmmaking isn't rocket science from first hand.
I once was a aerospace engineering student, before I went to artschool to study the art of filmmaking. :)

Back