Online Film Distribution?

I've just finished a short film I'm very proud of (www.theartofdreamingfilm.com), and I'm trying to figure out the best way to plan an online release. Are there any online distribution sites (like VODO) that anyone would recommend? I'd like to release it for free with an option for the viewer to donate if they liked the film.

My two main concerns are to get as many people to see it as possible, and also to be able to collect contact info (email) for all viewers, since one of the points of this will be to develop a fan base for my future projects.

Any thought? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hello new dude :cool:

The trailer looks amazing! The cinematography, editing, and makeup/costuming is great. Very professionally put together. You got some great images out of your 7D. I can't wait to see it. Please keep us posted :yes:

How do you get an audience? Post your stuff to Youtube and Vimeo. I believe on Youtube, there is a feature that allows you to advertise your video for money. You could check that out.

Show it to friends and get them to spread it around on Facebook, to other friends, Twitter, Instagram, etc. Get a Facebook and Twitter Page for the film, and promote it. Post on forums (that you're allowed to share on).

You could always hire someone to promote the film. It (usually) cost money, but it's worth it.

IndieReign is a site that I recently found out about on this forum. Looks legit.

http://www.indiereign.com

You can also release your film on Vimeo.

Don't worry about getting emails. If people want to help you in the future and stay updated with the projects you're doing, they will. If they don't, they won't.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, ChimpPhobiaFilms , and to both of you for the kind words about the trailer (yeah, our DP, Che Broadnax, did some great work with his 7D). I've had some doubts about the trailer, but I'm glad you liked it.

I'll probably release the film in September to the internet. I'll probably use Vimeo, but I'll keep you posted on what I decide and if any of the sites like Indiereign seem worthwhile.

Thanks for the advice, ChimpPhobiaFilms , and to both of you for the kind words about the trailer (yeah, our DP, Che Broadnax, did some great work with his 7D). I've had some doubts about the trailer, but I'm glad you liked it.

I'll probably release the film in September to the internet. I'll probably use Vimeo, but I'll keep you posted on what I decide and if any of the sites like Indiereign seem worthwhile.

Good luck.

BTW, Vimeo is a really good choice.

Don't worry about getting emails. If people want to help you in the future and stay updated with the projects you're doing, they will. If they don't, they won't.

You need to at least put the idea into their minds.
If it's youtube, tell them to subscribe to your channel and you have more great stuff in the works right now. I'm sure vimeo has an equivalent.

You need to at least put the idea into their minds.
If it's youtube, tell them to subscribe to your channel and you have more great stuff in the works right now. I'm sure vimeo has an equivalent.

I know, I was talking about emails.

Also, why tell people to subscribe? Why not just let people subscribe if they like the content you're producing?

Also, you can subscribe on Vimeo.

I know, I was talking about emails.

Also, why tell people to subscribe? Why not just let people subscribe if they like the content you're producing?

Also, you can subscribe on Vimeo.

I know what you're saying, but there is a difference in expectations for an individual and for a group of thousands. There has DEFINITELY been proven to be a difference between the number of subscribers on something if you have an opt-out policy instead of opt-in. In fact i believe facebook was even taken to court on this matter because they kept using an opt-out policy for their new privacy changes.

I've just finished a short film I'm very proud of (www.theartofdreamingfilm.com), and I'm trying to figure out the best way to plan an online release. Are there any online distribution sites (like VODO) that anyone would recommend? I'd like to release it for free with an option for the viewer to donate if they liked the film

I must say.. it's one of my pet peeves when an entire plot line can be unraveled were I simply in your film.. because somehow I am more knowledgable and effective at problem solving than all of your characters, even the professional psych...

If you want to know if you're dreaming or not, one simply need purchase a lucid dream induction device. it is strapped to your face while you sleep, monitors for rapid eye movement and then emits sound and light to inform you that you're in a dream once REM is detected. i bought one when i was THIRTEEN from the lucidity institute and i can assure you they work.

I must say.. it's one of my pet peeves when an entire plot line can be unraveled were I simply in your film.. because somehow I am more knowledgable and effective at problem solving than all of your characters, even the professional psych...

If you want to know if you're dreaming or not, one simply need purchase a lucid dream induction device. it is strapped to your face while you sleep, monitors for rapid eye movement and then emits sound and light to inform you that you're in a dream once REM is detected. i bought one when i was THIRTEEN from the lucidity institute and i can assure you they work.

Maybe it's a psychological thriller and there's some mental illness/supernatural forces.

Or you just pointed out a huge plot hole that shows the conflict in the film could have been solved easily :lol:

Thanks again for all the thoughts. One option I'm considering is to set a page up on my website where if someone joins my mailing list they get a link to the full movie, maybe releasing a scene or the first 4 or 5 minutes online available for everyone to get them intrigued.

And then later releasing the full movie open for everyone.

sfoster. I understand your pet peeve, but you don't understand the main conflict and plot of the movie from the trailer. It wouldn't be resolved by the Lucid Dream Induction Device. The movie goes in a very different direction. The trailer is meant to convey the feeling and mood of the film, not give away the whole plot!

Pretty soon, the internet will be the ONLY place to distribute films. There may be 1,001 different devices to do it on, but they will all stream from the internet.

IMHO, Hollywood and the antiquated distribution model since the late 1920's won't survive the next 10 years.

Hollywood: Either change with the times or fail.

Pretty soon, the internet will be the ONLY place to distribute films. There may be 1,001 different devices to do it on, but they will all stream from the internet.

IMHO, Hollywood and the antiquated distribution model since the late 1920's won't survive the next 10 years.

Hi, Loud Orange Cat, I agree entirely, which is why I'm working to develop a strategy how best to use this film to create a fan base, online presence, and reputation, as I move forward with my next projects.

How is the search coming. Have you checked out venues like Distribbr, Pivotshare, Flikrocket, IndieReign, Chill, Cinemere, DiGiDistribution, Distrify, IndieFlix, NewVideo, Vodo, Dynamo, Tugg, EggUP, SnagFilms, or Vimeo?

Hi, Loud Orange Cat, I agree entirely, which is why I'm working to develop a strategy how best to use this film to create a fan base, online presence, and reputation, as I move forward with my next projects.

While I hear what you're both saying and I do think that changes are happening allowing smaller companies and independents to compete using online distribution, I disagree that the Hollywood distribution model won't survive the next 10 years.

What's more likely to happen is Hollywood will continue it's current pattern of picking low lying fruit. Maximizing profits. This will allow independents to differentiate and tell different kinds of stories. There is always a demand for quality story telling.

While I hear what you're both saying and I do think that changes are happening allowing smaller companies and independents to compete using online distribution, I disagree that the Hollywood distribution model won't survive the next 10 years.

What's more likely to happen is Hollywood will continue it's current pattern of picking low lying fruit. Maximizing profits. This will allow independents to differentiate and tell different kinds of stories. There is always a demand for quality story telling.

Yes, the original quote was an exaggeration, no argument with me on that. Hollywood will still exist 10 years from now, but I think we are all agreed about the exciting possibilities of self-distribution online.

I thought people might be interested in the results of my research into online distribution sites. This is incomplete, and reflects my search for a site to launch a short film for free, with an option for viewers to donate, but hopefully some will find this helpful. If I made any mistakes or you have more info, let me know and I will edit.

cinedigm Entertainment (formerly New Video) Doesn't have online submission, need to contact Acquisitions and Marketing. Seems to focus on prestige films (festival picks from Tribeca, Sundance, known indy filmmakers, etc)

cinemere.com - focused on paying to watch films online

Chill.com - wants you to bundle with merchandise (according to other Indietalk thread)

distribber.com - submits to iTunes, Netflix, etc. for a LARGE (several hundred to over a thousand $$) fee. Doesn't do short films.

distrify.com - Sells films, and posts trailers "embedded in various social media"

www.digidistribution.com - looks like a good deal for filmmakers, ditributes to iTunes, Netflix, Hulu, etc with no initial fee, but only for movies 60 minutes or longer. May allow short films soon.

Dynamo - has shut down

Eggup.com - site is down, claims to be temporary as they re-tool because of rapid growth

www.openfilm.com - Allows registered users to upload fims. Openfilm associates advertisements with films, but I haven't been able to figure out exactly how. With Banner Ads, buttons, links, jump pages, doesn't appear to interspersed ads within a film BUT: User agreement does not require them to remove uploaded content on request of filmmaker if content is otherwise publicly available over the Internet. It also requires filmmaker to grant to Opefilm.com and its member unlimited Creative Commons rights to non-commercial use of content.

indieflix.com - Says they accept only films that played in festivals, but sometimes make exceptions

yekra.com - New and not much info on website

www.inmoo.com - inserts ads into film at various spots , "connects" it to "online communities" and shares revenue with filmmaker

vhx.tv - new and not open to all yet, non-exclusive. Allows creators to sell to fans via artist's own website. They offer drm-free copies of moves for download and streaming

vodo.net - distributes films via P2P, and then encourages donations to filmmakers

www.indiereign.com - looks good, but is geared for selling films, does not seem to be option to offer films for free

tugg.com - offers a library of movies that users can request play at a theater in their neighborhood. If enough people purchase tickets, it will play

shortoftheweek.com - online distribution for select films. Submission process. You have to pay $29 to guarantee evaluation- would need to be "blown away" to host a 40 minute film

syndicado.com - distributes to iTunes, Netflix, Hulu etc for a flat fee

snaggfilms.com - have to sign up before you get any info

pivotshare - Looks really good. Has great looking player you can embed in your own website. Audience can watch trailer, then see button to pay for film, then watch the film all in the same player screen. Has "tip jar" as an option, but inserts advertisment for Pivotshare in front of any films being offered for free.

Vimeo - Vimeo plus members can have tip jar linked to paypal account. Vimeo takes 15%. I will probably use this option. I would have gone with Pivotshare if they didn't insert ad for Pivotshare at the beginning of free content

i feel like vimeo and youtube are saturated unless you get a staff selection. the only time i got close to taking an image viral was when i submitted a pic to collegehumor.com. it's still around on the internet and crops up at various places from time to time.

The thing is these sites have an editor and they prescreen content, plus they have a built in audience of hundreds of thousands if not millions. sites like reddit fall into this category too.. it certainly seems more realistic than repeatedly spamming your facebook page

Back